annoying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well I thought I'd have a go at craving my first spoon (ladle really) as my hook knife had arrived.

Found a nice piece of holly from a tree that had fallen. Set about shaping - going pretty well considering my complete lack of woodwork skill. Had a quick play with the hook nice - the bowl was looknig good.

Put the piece down to make tea - came back an hour or so later and the wood a had split beyond use.

So questions: - how do I stop green holly (I've load more of it) from splitting, should I season it first?

What other wood can be carves green?

Is seasoned wood best for spoons, ladels etc?

As they say "if at first you don't succeed pick someone else's brains for the answer".

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I am certainly no expert but what i have found is that greener wood doesn't seem to split if i first shape the piece roughly and make sure I remove the pithy central part - i.e use only half of the piece of wood.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
For holly I would suggest using it seasoned, because of the problem with splitting.

Lime can be used green; it has a consistency almost like chalk and can be very easily carved. Birch is also nice to work with when green.

Best wishes

Bruce

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE