animals recognising death

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Arent emotions, just hardwired genetic behaviour and chemicals? Just because their brains are pathologically different to ours, doesnt mean they are inferior.

Exactly that, not inferior - but "alien" for want of a better word. Unless I live as a cat - with a cat's senses and a cats stimuli I can't "understand" a cat.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This was a sad tale last year ..

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/dog-stands-runover-friend-article-1.1223410

dog-3-1219.jpg

Joules

May 24, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Renown pair of car jacking dogs. "When she get out the Mercedes, we move... You do pedals and I'll steer"

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
IMO we have no right to put any judgement on animals, let alone using our own current mores as a guideline … once upon a time, not so long ago, we hanged people in public and thousands came to watch! Humans still rape their children …

Current archaeological thinking is that humans began with agriculture about 10,000 years ago. This brought in the concept of mine/yours, ownership and possibly even superiority all of which began the human wrecking of the environment. It has got especially bad since industrial farming and industry in general. Until we began this slippery slope we knew animals, plants, the whole of Nature for our brethren, not our inferiors and certainly not there just for us to “use”.

Eating your offspring seems to come about when conditions are inappropriate for them to live, or (for males) if they are not your get. Many animals can re-ingest their offspring in the womb rather than have them born into a scenario where they will die badly. There is some talk that humans also had this ability but lost it.

My 65 years of living closely with animals – wild and domestic – has shown me how very complex their ways of life are. They care deeply about all sorts of things, even to the extent of suffering loss-trauma for several years when they lose a dear companion; one of my cats is just coming out of this now after 6+ years. When I had my psychotherapy practice the cats knew which clients needed them, when and how, they were most helpful; careful observation showed how they would fine-tune their responses to each client to enable the person, it was (and is) fascinating to watch.

Animals don’t see Life as we do, why should they? They are different and every single species is far, far older than us and so has all of that innate “hard-wired” experience we are, as yet, too young to have. Every animal I’ve lived and worked with, however briefly, has shown me their emotions and helped me understand my own better. All those years of experience have enabled me to understand a cat, horse, dog, rabbit, bird, etc fairly well although probably nothing like as well as they understand me judging by how they treat me!

Your pair of cats, Xylara, just speak to me, I’ve seen this quite often and with other animals too. Thank you for posting about them … although it tears my heart.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I guess what I am saying is whilst I suspect they do have feelings, they are not human feelings.

I think that all mammals are capable of feeling the same emotions as we all have the same brains & nervous systems but that their effects differ in each species & in each individual within.............many of the 'human feelings ' which some folk hold in higher esteem than those of animals are in fact merely the result of social conditioning.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Eating your offspring seems to come about when conditions are inappropriate for them to live, or (for males) if they are not your get.....

In many species the male will KILL the young of another male (or even their own offspring in the case of Grizzlies) but I know of non where they EAT them. That's usually only the females.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
IMO we have no right to put any judgement on animals, let alone using our own current mores as a guideline … once upon a time, not so long ago, we hanged people in public and thousands came to watch!....

I'm confused. You seem to say that as if it were a bad thing?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think that all mammals are capable of feeling the same emotions as we all have the same brains & nervous systems but that their effects differ in each species & in each individual within.............many of the 'human feelings ' which some folk hold in higher esteem than those of animals are in fact merely the result of social conditioning.

I don't believe there is any way to know what an animal "feels" - one can observe behaviour and offer conjecture as to the cause of that behaviour. I certainly think there is a lot of social conditioning in that intepretation, people for example believe that domestic animals can "feel" but you hear much less "emotions" ascribed to rats and mice (as an example) or fish. Do carp hooked and injured repeatedly suffer trauma? Is a chicken saddened by the loss of its eggs? Who can really know?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't believe there is any way to know what an animal "feels" - one can observe behaviour and offer conjecture as to the cause of that behaviour. I certainly think there is a lot of social conditioning in that intepretation, people for example believe that domestic animals can "feel" but you hear much less "emotions" ascribed to rats and mice (as an example) or fish. Do carp hooked and injured repeatedly suffer trauma? Is a chicken saddened by the loss of its eggs? Who can really know?

Agreed. For now at least. However there are studies (admitedly with domestic animals, dogs in particular) where they've hooked up the animals to equipment measuring brain activity. Thoes experiments showed that when exposed to the same emotion stimulating experiences, the dogs had similar activity in the same parts of their brains as do humans.

Is it instinct or sentience? Who knows.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is intriguing...and where does it end? Do a billion bacteria suffer an agonising death when I wipe down a work surface? Are their lives less worthy than a mouse or a dog or horse? Should we give a fly a cuddle rather than a blast of RAID?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Eating your offspring seems to come about when conditions are inappropriate for them to live, or (for males) if they are not your get. Many animals can re-ingest their offspring in the womb rather than have them born into a scenario where they will die badly. There is some talk that humans also had this ability but lost it.

Its quite prevalent in, for example, rabbits. Not for reasons of cold or lack of food - some does just eat their young - repeatedly, litter after litter.

People that raise a lot of rabbits occasionally come across a doe that eats her young. If this is her first or second litter, she may be forgiven for she knoweth not what she doeth. But if she eats babies with each litter, there's no sense in breeding her anymore. There is no known cause or cure. The problem is that rabbits do not have the same motherly instinct as dogs or cats who will protect their young. Some does will simply neglect their young and let them die. The majority of does, however, once they get the knack of things, will take care of their babies to the extent that their limited instinct will allow them. For instance, baby rabbits must remain in their nest box and not come out of it until they're ready because the mother will not take them back into the box.

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/faq/eatyoung.htm

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I do read about folks who talk about their cats being 'happy' which obviously absolute tosh, at the most a cat is never more than 'moderately satisfied'.

:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It is intriguing...and where does it end? Do a billion bacteria suffer an agonising death when I wipe down a work surface? Are their lives less worthy than a mouse or a dog or horse? Should we give a fly a cuddle rather than a blast of RAID?

Careful BR. You could steer the thread towards the emotional responses given a year or two ago when I argued a similar point on the thread about the Georgia hunter killing the rattlesnake.

I think you know my feelings. I'm a hunter and have no problems with that. I also have no problems killing (humanely or otherwise) bugs, fish, snakes, or bacteria/viruses. And I have no problems executing violent criminals such as (some) murderers and child rapists or some non-violent criminals such as deserters and traitors.

I have been a farmer/rancher but I do have a problem killing livestock. Ironic isn't it. My problem there (vs killing game animals) is that in the case of the farm animals, I'd be killing a creature that trusts me rather than one expecting to be hunted and killied.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think everyone is entitled to their foibles santaman. Its just interesting how we rationalise treating the lives of some living things as somehow of greater value than others. I think we are all entitled to arrive at our own set of values....I know I would take more care shooting a rabbit than swatting a fly. I am I hope sufficiently self aware (as you are) to acknowledge the illogicality of that position though. Just because something is furry and cute, or responds to stimuli in a way with which we can empathise, does that make their life of greater worth?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Probably not. At least not in the larger scale of the universe. But I suspect that reaction (an emotion in itself) is somewhat of an evolutionary response; what we think of as "cute" is probably related to things that help us survive therefore on the smaller scale of our personal well being, yes, some of those animals probably do have more value than others (to us) Does that make sense?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To an extent - but fish are a useful foodsource...and we don't coo over a mackerel :)

Its all a bit odd to me (or maybe I am odd). I have a neighbour who talks to her dog in an "ickle baby" voice and even refers to the animal as "my baby". It triggers a gag reflex in me to be honest - its an animal, not a "baby"

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I think everyone is entitled to their foibles santaman. Its just interesting how we rationalise treating the lives of some living things as somehow of greater value than others. I think we are all entitled to arrive at our own set of values....I know I would take more care shooting a rabbit than swatting a fly. I am I hope sufficiently self aware (as you are) to acknowledge the illogicality of that position though. Just because something is furry and cute, or responds to stimuli in a way with which we can empathise, does that make their life of greater worth?

There is no logic or consistency in the way we regard different animals. What would be barbaric if done to, say a dog or cat, is ok for a badger or a fox. As for bacteria, don't they have rights too?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE