Andy Woods First Bushcraft Survival Sharp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Great review, I love the look of the knife and know it is being tested well :)

A new concept of a hollow knife but with very little weakness to it. Definitely well engineered to an extremely high spec.

For testing there is always the finer carving stuff like a tri-strick and trap building would be good. With the looks of the knife so far I think reather than a lean-to shelter you could make a mansion or tower block :)

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good stuff, must have taken a little while to get all the shots and tests sorted!

I know 440 c stainless can be pretty usable when heat treated well, but why use it on knife like this? Im not a steel snob, however I do wonder why some big name makers churn out knives in this steel when there are plenty of other (and superior) stainless steels to pick from?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Good stuff, must have taken a little while to get all the shots and tests sorted!

I know 440 c stainless can be pretty usable when heat treated well, but why use it on knife like this? Im not a steel snob, however I do wonder why some big name makers churn out knives in this steel when there are plenty of other (and superior) stainless steels to pick from?

I've always asked the same about O1 :D It's just one of the steels offered. He'll be using RWL-34, O1, D2 and others, customers choice. I for one can't see anything wrong in using 440C if you correctly heat treat it. I've got to admit that I've never looked at 440C in any detail. It is very tough and very effective, so why not?

The shots of the knife in use come courtesy of Clem. He also tested the food.

Reactions: PoppyD

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Nice review mate, looks to be a very nice knife very well designed hollow handle survival knife.

Not my cup of tea though, i'd rather just have a simple knife. As for steel, ive been guilty in the past of being a steel snob. But through another 5 years or so of experience i think that as long as its good quality steel (En42, 1075, 1095, 01, d2, cpm3v, 440C, rwl34, s30v etc etc) then the heat treatment for the given steel and given intention regarding use is much more important.

440C at 57-58 hrc is a good steel, reasonable toughness, reasonable edge holding, and very good corrosion resistance.

That said i'd like to see a version in CPM3v for a survival knife (twice toughness as 01 and better edge retention, and even a little corrosion resistance albeit not much)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Great 'review part 2' - many thanks for that. I really appreciate the hard work that goes into a meaningful assessment of such a tool. I think I had better start saving my pennies!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Jonathan, I've just seen this and enjoyed it hugely. Looking forward to more of it, but please don't destroy the knife just yet.

Nothing wrong with 440C but I'd have thought there were better materials considering how much this baby is going to have to set anybody back, even if it were in O1.

You have to watch those rare earth ("rare earth" meaning elements that are not very common in the ground unless you live in China, and not even then) magnets.
Like the ferro rods they contain elements that react rapidly with water. Nickel plating isn't a complete answer, but it helps. If it could be done without them I'd personally be happier.

If you're looking for suggestions, then...

PASSAROUND!

But my mitts are more like Clem's so I'll be looking for the one with the bigger handle. :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Great review , I had thought I had kicked my interest In more high end knives but that does look like a superb bit of engineering.

Tempted. ( If I had the spare cash. )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE