And what's your other job?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I am a Management Systems Consultant / Auditor, making sure that the quarrying and asphalt industry churn out good quality kit in a safe and environmentally friendly manner. Thankfully times and practices have changed enough now that my firm is 9001, 14001 and 18001 accredited (the first in the industry).

Would rather be out teaching people to shoot bows in a simulated hunting situation, drive Land Rovers and set light to stuff in the woods tho. :-?

Or is that next year???? :-D

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Rob,

Can I come out to play with your toys!

"Would rather be out teaching people to shoot bows in a simulated hunting situation, drive Land Rovers and set light to stuff in the woods tho"

Dave

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Im a sales manager for an independant builders merchant in Winchester.so if any of you plan on doing any building work in hampshire give me a shout! bushcrafters discount!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'm a maintenance engineer in a plastics moulding factory, lots of excuses to use my trusty multitool. and i've managed to contaminate a few co-workers with the multitool bug! but all that steel and plastic and hydraulic oil isn't anywher near as much fun as just sitting in the woods with the dog and a small fire with a brew on the go...

cheers, and.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I received a degree in Archaeology after 6 years military service and made a go of that for 20 years until cash flow forced me to decide between getting a teaching credential or running away. Right now I am doing several 'survival ' jobs. I train people's riding horses to drive ( I am one of a handfull of west coast owners of the wonderfull english Hackney pony,) work part time with a London born mechanic sorting out real motorcars ( Jaguars, Rolls Royces etc.) by virtue of having owned a MGA coupe, Austin Mini -cooper 1100 S in RHD and understanding what "get the whitworth spanner from the boot for this damned SU before the petrol leaks all over my moleskins"means :shock: . I also do the ocassional field test of gear with Doug @ equipped. last year we tested Marine Aviation Liferafts in a wave pool in Arizona.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i'm a student and i fill the shells of a store, unload the lorry ( have to be there to roll out the things that will go back with the lorry at 8.00 AM, ZzzZzz ), unpack trolly's and load them in to smaller one's to distrubute around the store. pay check ain't big, but loads of females there... :roll:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Having survived a series of office jobs which I did try to enjoy (honest) I start basic training to join the Army Intelligence Corps in two weeks. The only thing I will miss about 'normal life' is seeing my wife every day.

Hopefully they will teach me some military bushcraft if there is such a thing and I get a chance to use it.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
still a student living off the state!! got a degree in chemistry, and am in the last couple of months of my PhD, just got to write it all up now. done quite a few other jobs part time and not so part time! when i graduated, tried for a load of jobs, couldn't get one, so ended up pushing trollies round my local asda car park for 6 months before getting the funding for my phd.
chris, 1100s, nice car! my dad had a 1275s himself.
steve

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm a biologist and I teach at a university in Michigan. I dabble in all kinds of biology, in the laboratory and the field. Keeps me off the streets. :newbie:

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I'm in pretty much the same situation as PC2K. I'm a student and I have a part time job working in a toy distributors unloading lorries. However, I live in the countryside overlooking the Somerset levels and I have a fair bit of time to practise Bushcraft.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I am a Forestry Instructor, teach poeple how to use chainsaws, about biodiversity, woodland management etc etc Quick lucky tht i get to spend all day out in woodlands (though very small ones) then all my free time as well :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I work in the armed services. Can't really say a lot more than that about it, except that I travelled a lot earlier this year.

Don't worry - nothing 'special' or anything like that...

I love my job, have got to travel the world, done some pretty exciting things, get a reasonable wage, but am looking to retire in 6 years and take a second career - something a bit more practical/hands-on but absolutely nothing to do with military or defence industry. Will probably start by building eco-orientated house if I can find somewhere where I can afford the land. We'll see - a few years to go yet....

Cheers,

Mike

stevej

Nov 2, 2003
west midlands
i am a dental technician making gold crowns and bridges at Birmingham dental school. boring stuff but it pays the bills. hobbys include martial arts
this allows me to let of some steam when required. :banghead:

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I work as an architect and have in interest in ecological/green building materials and practices though have not had any building experience in the field. So, Mikey P, if you need any advice or references I could see what I could do.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I look after operations at an outdoor centre in NW scotland. Sounds great I know, but these days I get to spend post of my time paddling a desk and climbing mountains of paperwork!

I do live in one of the most spectacular places in the UK though. (I'll give you a hint, it's reached by going over probably the steepest road in the UK, sea level to 2000ft in less than 4 miles!). So it has it's rewards.

my wife and myself have just got a croft here and as well as growing organic food/pigs/chickens etc. the whole river cottage thing, we're looking to build a house - from sustainable local timber if the planners will let us. So Larry and Mikey I'd be interested in sharing any tips hints or ideas.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Applecross? Lucky so and so, mind you last time I was there I was the only Scot in the pub at lunchtime! Last time I was near there, I was in a RIB out of Kyle, took us up to a wee bunch of Islands, where people could spend a week or so. Must check out the name of those islands and find out about costs....

Justin

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
presently a student half way through a "diploma in outdoor activities" hopefully i should get a job as an activity instructor early next year.

previously i was a shop assistant in "outdoors(scout shops)" and "Blacks" before that loads of temp jobs from insurance to chicken factories!

:idea: one thing i would reccomend!

go on 1 factory shift, just 1, even if its just and hour or two, once you've done it you can always look back and say:
"at least my job ain't that bad!" :wink: i do it all the time!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Amen to that. I used to work in a frozen pea factory, watching millions of them drop through little holes in a vibrating stainless steel plate...
used to dream about peas after a twelve hour shift. Paid off the student debt though.

I'm now a rural general practitioner- though I also have a part-time hospital post in psychiatry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE