And, for a mere £400...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
No, this can't be serious. I have to believe that this is a booby-trap whereby anyone clicking the 'buy it now' button gets three-thousand volts through their mouse in an elaborate eugenic plot to try and rectify the stagnation of the gene-pool by removing it's most harmful constituents.

Or perhaps it's just that some enterprising net user out there wants to make a quick buck... YOU DECIDE!

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The truth of the matter IMO (having used them all now) is that the Micarta handled W/S WOODLORE is the best.

Its almost value for money and comparably (at the price) as good as the rest although I bought mine second hand at £75, as new, and I think that was a more realistic price, I certainly wouldnt wanna pay more fo one.

Using the Micarta one I was unable to notice any difference in it to the Alan Wood one I had when I worked for woodlore (WELL EXCEPT PRICE) Of course there is the aesthetics of the wooden scales but is that worth £100 or more?

If you want a Woodlore get the Micarta one! As my kids would say some people need to get real -- still if there is a market for it people will buy I guess.

Now wheres my credit card??????? :rolmao:

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
i have had the micarta version since it was released.

i have just last week taken delivery of a brand new Woodlore which i ordered 11 months ago.

obviously the blades are very similar - though the Woodlore had the higher standard of finish.

the micarta handle certainly makes the knife feel heavier. i have not weighed the knives this is merely how they feel to me.

the maple handle on the woodlore has a better shape for my hand but i just love the look of this beautiful wood.

the woodlore comes with the custom-made neck sheath as standard.

IF the micarta is worth £95 then my view is that the Woodlore is indeed worth £195 - for the extra notes you get the knife finished to a higher standard, you get the gorgeous maple handle and you get the neck sheath. as we have seen many times, the RM/AW stamp ensures the value of this knife is going to be maintained :roll:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If I had 400 quid of spare cash, I'd buy it...

Because I really want one, I have thought about the WS ones but they don't hold the same appeal to me.

I'm not going to get caught up in the how's and why's because there ARE better knives and there ARE cheaper ones but I really want one.

It's an emotional thing this shopping lark...

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Guys, only the Buy it Now is £400 the reserve could be £150. The seller is just chancing his arm maybe some muppet will give him £400 but I bet the reserve is much more reasonable.

Of course the reserve could be £395 but I doubt it. We will see this more and more now. The new batch of knives have just been released by woodlore and some people bought them just to sell for a profit.

If I was Alan I would be very miffed that I was making knives and selling them for £195 only to see them on ebay for £400 the next week. But you can't tell people what to do with something they buy from you.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Does anyone pay £400 for a Woodlore and then use it - knowing that the first time you use it you'd knock maybe £100 of it's value?

The trouble here is that for very personal items (a watch, a fountain pen, a knife, a rifle or shotgun perhaps) we don't make strictly utilitarian choices. Aesthetics/'feel'/pride of ownership/history/desire for an heirloom for your children all come into play. However, there has to come a point where common sense has gone out of the window. £400!!!! :yikes:

I'll stick with my Wilkinson Micarta - there may be more of them around but it is functionally at least as good (arguably better), bears the name of a rather famous maker, and anyway, black-hafted knives are traditional in my culture.

Mind you, if they made one with a bog oak or ebony handle, I might be tempted.....

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Gary said:
The truth of the matter IMO (having used them all now) is that the Micarta handled W/S WOODLORE is the best.

Using the Micarta one I was unable to notice any difference in it to the Alan Wood one I had when I worked for woodlore (WELL EXCEPT PRICE) Of course there is the aesthetics of the wooden scales but is that worth £100 or more?
QUOTE]

Did you really notice no differance ? I've had the AW for a couple of years and found it fitted my hand nicely, but my micarta WS feels really skinny in the hand. Side by side i'm sure the handle is narrower. Hate to say it, but when delivered the WS was as blunt as a pigs blunt end, compared to the AW. Not now though of course! :wink:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Dave Farrant said:
I hate to ask but which is the Blunt end of a PIG?

:?:

Definitely the end without teeth, though i would concede that both ends, on the face of it, are fairly blunt. That is to say, you wouldn't shave with either end. Well not round here anyway... :rolmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE