An excerpt from the book Archaic Footprints

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Experimental but not stupid.

When we walk away from our familiar environment, we are technically lost. But it is how we trace our steps that we remain able to find our way out. Sometimes we lose track of time or distance and after a few turns or twists we land in a whole new world. Usually this is a time in which an un-experienced hiker will try to walk out or walk in circles trying to find the trail, which is not a bad idea if it is done within a contained area. But if the trail is hidden and no landmarks are in sight it’s time to sit down and shift gears from the day-hike outing to the survival mindset. For a beginner, you will become lost or disoriented at one time or another several factors can change your awareness weather, terrain, or fatigue is just a few. Experienced alike are open to confusion, it’s not only the skills of a person that keep them found and on track but awareness of changing environments. There are times in which we seem to do every step correct and run into trouble perhaps blow-down in a storm or boulder that have rolled down a hillside changing the perspective of the landscape, these all cause the mind to second guess itself and implant a seed of uncertainty. So, it is best to be prepared in every way that possibly can be. Every bushcrafter, backpacker, day-hiker and nature enthusiast should be expecting the worst of the elements and have the appropriate gear to deal with those unexpected happenings. However, what happens when we go unprepared or just go out for a quick hike that turns into a struggle for life? Maybe you are prepared and lose your matches or get them wet, perhaps you need to stay overnight and get bogged down in a cold rain without shelter. What then? It is imperative to know how to make use of your natural environment; the knowledge can make the difference between comfort and misery, or life and death.

I have put this up for member to critique this is after the introduction and a prelude to the opening chapter. I have 2 weeks to make last changes to the manuscript but would appreciate for members to leave feedback on this small excerpt.
Brian

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Brian hi,

On an initial read it seems fine, but it doesn't really flow, IMHOhope not to offend, after all you've written a book I haven't . If I could perhaps take some time, I'm just off to bed now, I will re-read with fresh eyes and hopefully be a bit more helpful.

Or I'll come back and say ignore me I'm just a silly so and so! :eek:

You'll have to give me the details when it's published though

Paul

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Paragraphs. ;)
Lots of sentences starting with "But".
It feels rushed - needs spread out and thinned.

When we walk away from our familiar environment we are technically lost. By retracing our steps we may find our way out yet sometimes we lose track of time or distance and after a few twists or turns land in a whole new world.
Usually this is a time in which an un-experienced hiker will try to walk out or walk in circles trying to find the trail. Not a bad idea if it is done within a contained area but if the trail is hidden and no landmarks are in sight it’s time to sit down and shift gears from the day-hike outing to the survival mindset.

As a beginner you will become lost or disoriented at one time or another. Several factors can change your awareness: Weather, terrain or fatigue are just a few. Experienced alike are open to confusion - it’s not only the skills of a person that keep them found and on track but awareness of changing environments.
There are times in which we seem to perform every step correctly yet run into trouble. Perhaps a blow-down boulder has rolled down a hillside changing the perspective of the landscape, these all(what all? that's only one example) cause the mind to second guess itself and implant a seed of uncertainty. So, it is best to be prepared in every way that you possibly can be.

etc....

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
It seemed a little difficult to read.
I copied/pasted to word, spaced and enlarged the font and it became easier to read, so the forum format isn't the best way to read it, but it still needs paragraphs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE