An entirely new knife.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Watching that nickel silver get fitted and formed is so exciting stu!

Tomorrow will be even better as it really takes shape

Awesome work fellah!

Red

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Stew said:
Stu - ~I presume the holes in the bolster are countersunk? Is it just the pins holding them on or is any glue involved as well?
Hi Stew, no glue mate.... Just te rivetting :)

The holes in the bolster are countersunk yes... But the wire also expends through it's entire length which makes the whole fixing very, very secure...

To get these bolsters off you will need to drill or shear the wire... You couldn't pry them off... To get this apart mate you would have to destroy it :)

Now comes the slightly nervous time for me................. Let's get some shape into it :)

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Well it's been a busy day in the workshop.....

First job this morning for me was to get the wood shaped to the tang.....

DSCN3573.jpg

DSCN3574.jpg

As you can see I left the wood quite thick so step two was to start the shaping.....

DSCN3575.jpg

Now from hereonin there is not that much that I can actually show you... It is just a case of working through the grits, it doesn't change appearance, at all, until you finish it....

So here you go.... The British Red designed, Precision Field Knife....

DSCN3576.jpg

DSCN3577.jpg

DSCN3578.jpg

DSCN3579.jpg

DSCN3580.jpg

I am could not be any happier with the finished article... Size, weight and fit all feel superb in the hand...

It is always a worrying time when you start the hafting and finishing process as this is the time that any shortcomings in the fit of the handle (wood to steel, nickel to steel etc) will become apparent.... The overall fit of this knife can only be described as perfect!

Next stage is the leather.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE