An Alternative Charcloth Tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
safty note... in your excitment about your newly made charcloth... allow the copper pipe to cool befor thring to get your charcloth out...

also mine didnt work.. :shock: i think it is because the earth plug shrunk and the cloth combusted.. a very small shrivelled peice of ash flopped out ah well take two shal comence tomorrow... also is it better not allow the smoke to ignite or does it make no difference!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi tomtom, absolutely right about letting it cool down :biggthump .

There's another reason apart from the obvious fried finger problem: if you don't let the whole thing cool off, the charcloth which can only smoulder when denied air in the tube will burst into flame once you give it air. I was OK first time round but fell foul of my own impatience on my second attempt as I mentioned.

We have a rather clay soil so no problems with the plug, however it's a good point. In a light sandy soil it may not work at all, at least it would be worth compacting the ground by stamping before pushing the tube into it.

Thanks for your tips.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
How about punching a small hole through the crimped section and threading a largeish split ring (key ring) through the hole. Means you can then fish the pipe out of the fire when you need to, just poke a stick through the ring and lift it out. Also, when not in use, can be clipped or tied to something making it easier to carry. :roll:

Jon.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
TheViking said:
Okay, but could it be used to light a fire?? :shock:

Try it and see :)

but lighting a fire with charcoal may be a little more difficult than using charcloth mainly because charcoal is denser

most mornings i rake a campfire together and find one or 2 embers along with chunks of charcoal that formed when wood buried in ash didnt have enough oxygen to burn

a little puffing and the fire is up and running in no time

Tant

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Got the chance to try the method out in a real fire at the BCUK weekend, using sandy soil too instead of clay. It works without a hitch. Just toss the tube in the glowing coals and flick it out with a stick 10 minutes later. Made a couple of batches this way and neither burned out in the tube or failed to catch a spark in just a couple of strikes.

Cheers

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Tantalus said:
Try it and see :)

but lighting a fire with charcoal may be a little more difficult than using charcloth mainly because charcoal is denser

most mornings i rake a campfire together and find one or 2 embers along with chunks of charcoal that formed when wood buried in ash didnt have enough oxygen to burn

a little puffing and the fire is up and running in no time

Tant
Hi...

I tried it the same day I maked charcloth and it lights a fire just as easy as charcloth. And it burns very exellent! +++ :D :biggthump
Though it breaks very easy... :wink:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
This idea is brill.

I have been waiting to get all the bits together (and a fire going ) for a while in order to get some charcloth made, but after reading this I thought I would have a go using my Epigas single burner.

I had some copper pipe and had a scout round the house looking for some donor material, when bingo! I found a tea towel, the type that has/ had "GLASS CLOTH" written on it, well it now has bottom CLOTH, due to the missing bit.

I cut a piece about 20cm X 10cm, rolled it up and placed it in the pipe, I then squashed the ends in a vice and made a 2mm hole in one end, I placed it on the stove and waited 2 mins for it to start to smoke, then using Adi's advice, waited approx 10mins for the smoke to die down, removed it from the cooker and plugged the hole, and waited for it to cool.

Well, the end result was, WOW!!! perfectly made charcloth, jet black, lights easily using my newly aquired steel striker (£2 from a re-enactors show) and a piece of flint from my garden, we now have glowing charcloth.

Many thanks for this idea, the only difficult bit is uncrimping the pipe in order to get the cloth out. :biggthump :cold2:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
No need to uncrimp the ends ... take the charcloth out of the end of the pipe with the earth plug!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I didn't use the earth plug method, I crimped both ends.

I will try the earth plug this afternoon as it has got to be the easiest way. :wink:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
An Alternative Charcloth Tutorial

Hi guys, seems that I'm not the owner of my own post anymore so when the pics got detached from my original post I couldn't edit them back. Would one of the mods please bump this new post back to the start of the thread - Thanks, Alick

----------------------

The inspiration for this photo tutorial came from a chance conversation at the “Jubilante Condate” festival in Northwich this past weekend (July 04) celebrating the town’s roman heritage.

While swapping tips, a member of the Legia Secundus Augusta living history society (who were demonstrating at the event) mentioned the idea of producing charcloth in small quantities using a tube instead of a tin. The tube is closed at one end except for a small hole and the open end plugged with earth.

The idea of carrying charcloth safely in a small tube, and making it afresh with each new fire sounded interesting, so a couple of days later I grabbed a bit of 15mm copper waterpipe, crimped one end shut, drilled it through (two opposing holes) with a 2mm bit and headed for the garden.

Having never made or used charcloth before, I was amazed at how easy it was to make it this way and how my daughter Lydia was able to use it to catch the tiniest spark off a firesteel. We decided to do it again for the camera.

80IMG_0637a.jpg

Notice that the end is just crimped shut, not folded over. I didn’t want any chance of the tube blowing up on me. With an earth plug I very much doubt that this could happen.

80IMG_0633a.jpg

Here is the tube from the open end.

80IMG_0635a.jpg

A piece of black denim about 6 x 10cm fills the tube leaving room for a plug.

80IMG_0638a.jpg

Then just push the open end into the ground to plug it with earth.

80IMG_0639a.jpg

Since we don’t have a fire pit in the garden, we compromised by using a blowtorch ! In practice, I expect dropping the tube in the embers at the edge of a fire will do the trick. Here it's just beginning to smoke.

80IMG_0640a.jpg

Warming up a bit.

80IMG_0642a.jpg

Now we’re cooking !

80IMG_0643a.jpg

It does stink, and occasionally the gas catches light. It burns like a small candle. Just blow out the flame. When it has stopped smoking, leave to cool (even better if you can plug the small hole while it's cooling), the dry earth and charcloth tap out easily. On my second attempt I didn't plug the hole and tapped out the cloth before it had properly cooled. It caught light of it's own accord once it was able to breath.

80IMG_0647a.jpg

It burns long and well.

80IMG_0652a.jpg

Now that I know how easily the cloth taps out and that the small hole doesn't tend to block, I'll make another with only a single 2mm hole in the end, that will be enough. Have fun !

PS - Taking up an improvement idea from hoodo after I first posted this, if you crimp the end of the tube shut around a 2-3mm dia nail then pull the nail out, you get an even better version of the tube without any need for a drill !

If you want to make more at a time, try a bit of 22mm pipe, to store the cloth in the tube after it's made, look for a plastic cap that will push over the open end after the soil has been knocked out or use a bit of duck tape.

Cheers,

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Alick
I don't think we can move posts within a thread, or at least I can't find a way to do it. We could split your post to make a new thread though if you want....

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Justin - if you can edit posts - and I presume you can in case you need to delete anything defamatory - why not cut everything out of my last post, open the original and paste the new stuff with the links into it in place of what's there.

By all means split the thread, but several of the guys who tried the idea originally made good comments that have helped develop the idea.

I meant to fix this some time ago but Dave Barker's recent thread has reminded me to get on with it. Thanks for your help - I'm happy with anything that you can do
:You_Rock_

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I use an old Barbour wax tin (small one) or any small shoe polish container, makes enough cloth for me and quite small/light.

Jason

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Additional notes if you dont have a blow torch or a fire.....

Ive just tried the shoe polish/barbour wax tin on a Swedish Trangia and it made perfect charcloth in about 20 mins, so theres another way of doing it with a minimum of gear and mess.

Also... as a smoker I was wandering about an easy way to hold an ember to light my fags, Im sure Ive heard wicks mentioned before and thought Id try a spare dry wick about 1/8th" diameter from an oil lamp that I had lying around. It works perfectly and can be easily lit from a bit of glowing charcloth but even more useful.... the pre-charred end of the wick will easily catch a spark from my flint and steel, so you can get an ember without having to make charcloth. Only thing is the charred end of the wick will tend to rub off very easily making it harder to light.

You could even carry the wick in a tight brass tube/pen to keep it dry but thats half way to a mechanised flint and steel striker!

Jason

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Great post mate!

I made one the other night and it works a treat with very little heat.
It is now going to be an essential part of my kit. Which brings me to thinking what if there was a way to hold the firesteel and a little charcloath in the pipe when not in use so it becomes one peace of kit. I cannot try it myself at the moment as I am waiting for my new firesteel to arrive.
Am I barking up the wrong tree? Anybody got any ideas?

Sorry if it seems a dumb question but I am a newbie after all and it seems logical to me to keep the three items together to make one peace of kit.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Good idea mate but the cynical part of my nature says that with that idea if you lose one item then you've lost all three!! And I know that with my luck I would do just that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE