An Alternative Charcloth Tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
An Alternative Charcloth Tutorial

The inspiration for this photo tutorial came from a chance conversation at the “Jubilante Condate” festival in Northwich this past weekend (July 04) celebrating the town’s roman heritage.

While swapping tips, a member of the Legia Secundus Augusta living history society (who were demonstrating at the event) mentioned the idea of producing charcloth in small quantities using a tube instead of a tin. The tube is closed at one end except for a small hole and the open end plugged with earth.

The idea of carrying charcloth safely in a small tube, and making it afresh with each new fire sounded interesting, so a couple of days later I grabbed a bit of 15mm copper waterpipe, crimped one end shut, drilled it through (two opposing holes) with a 2mm bit and headed for the garden.

Having never made or used charcloth before, I was amazed at how easy it was to make it this way and how my daughter Lydia was able to use it to catch the tiniest spark off a firesteel. We decided to do it again for the camera.

80IMG_0637a.jpg

Notice that the end is just crimped shut, not folded over. I didn’t want any chance of the tube blowing up on me. With an earth plug I very much doubt that this could happen.

80IMG_0633a.jpg

Here is the tube from the open end.

80IMG_0635a.jpg

A piece of black denim about 6 x 10cm fills the tube leaving room for a plug.

80IMG_0638a.jpg

Then just push the open end into the ground to plug it with earth.

80IMG_0639a.jpg

Since we don’t have a fire pit in the garden, we compromised by using a blowtorch ! In practice, I expect dropping the tube in the embers at the edge of a fire will do the trick. Here it's just beginning to smoke.

80IMG_0640a.jpg

Warming up a bit.

80IMG_0642a.jpg

Now we’re cooking !

80IMG_0643a.jpg

It does stink, and occasionally the gas catches light. It burns like a small candle. Just blow out the flame. When it has stopped smoking, leave to cool (even better if you can plug the small hole while it's cooling), the dry earth and charcloth tap out easily. On my second attempt I didn't plug the hole and tapped out the cloth before it had properly cooled. It caught light of it's own accord once it was able to breath.

80IMG_0647a.jpg

It burns long and well.

80IMG_0652a.jpg

Now that I know how easily the cloth taps out and that the small hole doesn't tend to block, I'll make another with only a single 2mm hole in the end, that will be enough. Have fun !

PS - Taking up an improvement idea from hoodo after I first posted this, if you crimp the end of the tube shut around a 2-3mm dia nail then pull the nail out, you get an even better version of the tube without any need for a drill !

If you want to make more at a time, try a bit of 22mm pipe, to store the cloth in the tube after it's made, look for a plastic cap that will push over the open end after the soil has been knocked out or use a bit of duck tape.

Cheers,

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Neat idea for the copper cooker.

80IMG_0633a-med.jpg

I just got the properties of one of your images and placed it between image tags

When I make char I just let the gas jet burn, when it fades the char is just about done.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Schwert, Adi, thanks guys, just couldn't figure how to embed the images at first but following your tips I've edited the post to work properly. :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
alick said:
Schwert, Adi, thanks guys, just couldn't figure how to embed the images at first but following your tips I've edited the post to work properly. :biggthump
You're welcome Alick. That's an excellent way to make charcloth ... but I doubt I could get a whole tablecloth in there! :rolmao:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ed said:
You'd have to do it bit by bit on the sly ;-)

Ed
Well, they are good tablecloths ... you can't turn it into charcloth all at once!!!!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
:rolmao: Adi will be getting a smaller table soon so that Kath doesn't notice how much her table cloth is reducing in size....... :nana:

We'll soon be putting Kath’s tablecloths in the shop, they make the best char cloth and only the best here :eek:):

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
now i know what to do with all those old pairs of jeans that are unwearable. Why do 501s always wear out at the crotch first?

i think I'm gonna need a lot of copper pipe :?:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Would it be possible to 'charcloth' a piece of dead wood, in the same way as with clothes...???

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
TheViking said:
Hi...

Would it be possible to 'charcloth' a piece of dead wood, in the same way as with clothes...???
Yes ... then you'd get charcoal instead of charcloth.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
I have just tried this trick in my BBQ ..... i thought ... why bother with a hole and earth? .. why don't I just use some 22mm pipe and squeeze both ends shut in my vice ..... assuming that the pipe won't blow up because if there is a pressure build up .. it will just force open the crimped ends before it blows the pipe up ..... I had it a bit too near the coals ..... went to check on my potatoes .. came back to the BBQ ... and one end of the pipe was acting like a flame thrower ... the escaping gas had ignited and was shooting out flames about a foot

this is fun :D ...... cheers Alick :wink:

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Good one Alick I like the idea of using the first fire to make the charcloth for the next, when you think about it you usually start out using matches till they run out.

jakunen I usually make my charcloth with a couple of soft drink can, which unfortunately are not to rare in this countries woods :(

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I love it! Great idea. One suggestion: instead of drilling a hole, when you peen the end down, how about inserting a small nail parallel to the pipe and peening the end down around the nail? Then you just pull out the nail and you have a small tube at one end for ventilation.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Evolution in action ! (my signature line on BB :wink: )
Thanks Hoodoo, perfect example of how even the simplest tool can be refined and improved :biggthump

Alick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE