Amsteel workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Who fancies running a workshop to make some slings etc? I'd like to do it, iv'e not managed to for the last couple of years. If someone will what's good kit to bring?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm not going to the Moot :( but the inner core's of CAT5 network cable are what I use when making bits out of Amsteel.
1 meter of Cat5 will give you at least 8 (as there are 8 strands) if not 16 if your happy working with a 25cm fid.

Tony if you want I can send some down to you.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'd run a knife sharpening workshop immediatly afterwards, I've found cutting dyneema to be one of the quickest ways to blunt an edge. Oh and if you're using the group buy dyneema (which I believe is black) then a black marker pen would be no good, so some sort of chalk, or tippex may do the job.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
here is what I suggest with respect to the kit needed:
1. very sharp knife and cutting board - I use a ceramic paring knife and a piece of wood for cutting dyneema
2. various sizes of knitting needles - used as fids - for DynaGlide I use 2.75 mm (qty 2), 3.5 mm, and 4.5 mm - for Amsteel one may need larger size(s) - do not know since I only use DynaGlide
3. measuring tape/stick - I use a yard stick most times
4. a small gauge wire bent back in the middle - I use a wound metal G string for a guitar - used to pull the ends of the dyneema line through constriction sections
5. a small pair of needle nosed pliers - rarely used but sometimes needed to hold part of the dyneema while pulling the other part through whatever
6. optional - needle and thread to secure eye splices if not using locked brummels

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
New to this but how is cat5 cable used? Plus if anyone needs any I usually have loads of the stuff handing around. Old ends of boxes that are no good for long runs.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use it by bending the cat5 in 2, then inserting the loop end cat5 in the amsteel, feed it through the amsteel until its where it needs to be, then get the loop out of the amsteel, feed the end of the amsteel that needs burying or feeding through the amsteel in the loop, then gently pull the loose end of the cat5, this then pulls the amsteel through itself.

Hope that makes sense.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I use it by bending the cat5 in 2, then inserting the loop end cat5 in the amsteel, feed it through the amsteel until its where it needs to be, then get the loop out of the amsteel, feed the end of the amsteel that needs burying or feeding through the amsteel in the loop, then gently pull the loose end of the cat5, this then pulls the amsteel through itself.

Hope that makes sense.

Ah right so its used as a tool/jig. Was wondering what i was missing there. Offer stands if anyone needs any.
Used to do a lot of cabling but dont these days but I do still have loads of the stuff hanging around.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
one other important piece of "kit" - a piece of paper with notes as to the length of each part for the splices for various diameter lines - this probably needs to be a handout at the workshop

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you're going to moot, saves me posting some :)

Sorry matey cannot come this year, one year soon.

Just ahd a quick look and have loads of the stuff. If anyone from near me is going I am happy to meet them and hand it over.

Last edited:

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi,
If no one else is available to run this work shop, then I'm willing to volunteer
If some one can bring some wire, and people attending sort out 25 foot of amsteel [group buys by phil], I'll sort out some beads
Regards
Stu

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Whoa, hold ya horses on the Dyneema front.

I said the Dyneema might be here for the Moot but I'm still waiting on enough to sign up so I can cover initial costs. The lead time may be weeks and then there is import duty and charges. You can't just pop down to Tesco and buy 1000m for a bargain price!

If you want an emergency ASAP buy for a class then it will cost £1.20/ delivered. I can get a 50m spool of Marlow Dyneema D12 2.5m 12 Strand (rated 569kg) for just under £60 delivered. UKhammocks costs £60 + £7 delivery for 50m, though Matt only has 44m in stock. I'm guessing about 10m is needed for each pair of whoopie slings.

If you want a rush job of the entire group buy order in time for the Moot then it goes to £40/50m. Still a bargain at 80p/m rather than 120p/m. This may be the best option if the group buy participants are in agreement otherwise the buy may not happen at all due to not hitting the required number.

You also get a colour option with this route: Minimum two each to order of red, blue, yellow, white and grey/black.

Last edited:

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi Phil,
Sorry for that, I did not read the group buy by details. I'm prepared to buy 100m for the work shop for people who cant supply their own
Can you PM pay pal details
Regards
Stu

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Hi Stu,

I have PMed payment details to you.

I have posted the following on the Dyneema group buy thread:

"The manufacturer thinks they can supply the order in time for the Moot, hopefully that will be the case.

This keeps the cost at £35 instead of £40.

I will PM with payment details. Please pay by bank transfer if you can to save me getting stung by Paypal."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE