American versus UK boot sizes???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I usually wear a size 9(uk) or size 43 boot in a wide fitting. I want to buy a pair of American Chippewa boots that will fit me when I'm wearing 2 pairs of thick socks. The vendor has suggested an American size 10E or 10EEE boot. Would this be about right?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure actually as I don't know how they convert. I can tell you a little about how to read American sizing though; the number refers to length (although I don't believe it's a direct reference to inches) and the letters refer to width.

I'll see if I can find a site with a conversion chart and try to link it back here. Don't hold your breath though cause I'm not all that good at some searches.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i have found that american sizes are half a size smaller than UK sizes, so an american size 9 would be a UK size 8.5 hope that helps.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Every shoe label I've seen lists US sizes as 1 bigger than ours eg our 11 is a US 12 and this is true of the Baffins I got from the US a couple of weeks ago. I had to get size 13US to get two pairs of socks on my size 10.5 ee feet. I can't see you being able to wear two pairs of thick socks with an equivalent UK 9 but the vendor probably knows better. I've turned up nothing on review sites for sizing advice either.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do be advised that not all American companies are necessarily sized exactly the same. I know it should be standard and a size X should be a size X no matter what company it comes from. And it usually is but from time to time there might be an exception. Be sure your vendor has a return policy just in case.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i work in the shoe indestry and our companys shoe's are +1 to the uk size so if you a UK9 you would need a USA10 or altrnatavly a 43, but please remeber each brand make the sizes slightly diffrent. for example some shoe brands i need size 12uk others i need a size 13uk. hope this helps.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I normally wear a UK size 10.

Pac_Boots.jpg

My Baffin pac boots with liners and insoles are a US size 12 and fit just right with two pairs of socks if that helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE