Aluminium..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i dont want to drag to other thread off topic so i will post this here..

Gary said:
Now that the link between Ali and Altizimmers (sp?) has been disproven i find myself liking Ali cookware more and more...

i didnt know it had been disproven.. where the info on this?

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Tomtom,
Not disproven, here's what the Alzheimer's society conclude:
"....The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made, at least at present."

read the full thing here:
Alzheimer's and Aluminium

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Justin Time said:
Tomtom,
Not disproven, here's what the Alzheimer's society conclude:

read the full thing here:
Alzheimer's and Aluminium

hi tomtom, i seem to recall that it was put forward the the largeramounts of alu in ppl with alzheimers, was due to alzheimers, rather than the cause of alzheimers
sc

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i was always told that it was link to the disease.. but all my re-search turned up was that there was no proof either way, better safe than sorry thought i, and always avoided it... i though that Gary had some new information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
An uncle of one of my mates works at a factory where they do nothing but work with Alu, it's making something for aircraft I'm not sure what. I spoke to him about this and apparently it's a bit of an in-joke with them - they do not believe there can be any link and none of them know anyone who has got Alzheimers who is or has been in the plant. He was adamant about it and said he knew some scientists working on it (which was true) and there was no chance, so I'm not a bit worried myself! :wave:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
arctic hobo said:
An uncle of one of my mates works at a factory where they do nothing but work with Alu, it's making something for aircraft I'm not sure what. I spoke to him about this and apparently it's a bit of an in-joke with them - they do not believe there can be any link and none of them know anyone who has got Alzheimers who is or has been in the plant. He was adamant about it and said he knew some scientists working on it (which was true) and there was no chance, so I'm not a bit worried myself! :wave:
Perhaps they just don't remember anyone who had it!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
From being about 12 years old, I've been using aluminium cookware (I'm now 42) and have never had any problems. I think if you probably ate a load of aluminium there may be a problem, but how much in real terms would you ingest over a lifetime cooking in ally pots? In relation to say driving to work every day and breathing vehicle fumes?? I think we probably ingest more toxins walking down a busy road than simply cooking in an aluminium pan :?:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
My dad has Alzheimers. Pray you don't end this way. Ironically he was a pioneer in the use of composites in the aircraft industry. He got the aluminum out of the vehicles! Íts tough to see him like this. He was a matamatical genius and most of the aircraft he worked on are still serving. I'm prone to believe its genetic rather than enviromental. Tough break for me... Mac

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Handling Al doesn't represent a problem - it is when it gets into the blood stream, danger starts.

Boil general foods should be OK as the oxide layer is generally non reactive and prevents the elemental metal from contacting the food. However, if you boil some thing with a low pH (sour fruit, cider etc) or very high pH it will be removed allowing traces of the underlying metal to go into solution - then into your bloodstream.

Anything that physically scratches the pan will also remove the oxide layer - ie beating with fork, using a metal spatular while frying.

Personally, i prefer SS as it is easier to clean and I tend to make mulled wine/cider when camping. Also Al pan can (relatively) easily melt if used on hot coals, direct heat- done it myself.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Some years ago I took sight of a well researched and [seemingly] definitive piece on the Alzheimer/aluminium relationship. On balance there did seem to be a relationship between levels of alu in the brain and the prevalence of the disease.

But the most interesting part of the treatise dealt with the mechanism by which the body might absorb alu. The bottom line? The human body rejects alu and alu oxide and will not absorb it. I.e. alu pots and pans are fine in normal use.

The issue is when acidic fruits are cooked in alu containers. [worst case cited would be rhubarb in an alu pressure cooker] In this case the alu reacts with the acids to create aluminium-citrates. These citrates are ingested by the body and can find their way into the brain. They cannot then be eliminated.

I will try to establish the source of the data and post a link if successful.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I think I remember Liz saying something about not using aluminium pots for jam-making due to the acid and temperature of the mixture - I'll have to check with her.

But otherwise I have no probs using aluminium cooking pots such as my Swedish army cookset. As has been pointed out, the aluminium (which is highly reactive) forms an oxide layer which is non-reactive in most situations.

Best wishes

Bruce

EdS

There is also a potential link between Alzhiemer's and tea. Tea has considerable levels of Al in it as Camellia readily take it up from the soil (generally second most abundant metal after Fe in soil).

If I remember the "danger" level is around 10 cups per day.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
guys, read the link I posted above to the Alzheimer's society. There seems to be a lot of myths floating round about Alumimium. My take on this is that if the Alzheimer's society say there's nothing to convincingly demonstrate a casual link then that is pretty much the latest ( if not last!) word.

Of course as the bushcraft and science thread is discussing, there's always the chance that further research will change this position, but that's true about everything. :?:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
This is interesting a similar thread is running on BB - the link posted to my mind claims that the links between the disease and Ali are not proven and as such the myth is that their is a link - I guess this is a debate which, like the hunting one, will go on and one with one side claiming its right and the other saying it is.

Personally I will use Ali, titanium, stainless, caste iron or whatever I please as I am more likely to breath in more dangerious levels of toxins ect just walking down the road!

Sometimes you just cant worry about everything in life - well you can but then the worry would probably kill you too!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My wife is a therapist working specifically with the elderly mentally ill. I asked her to look into the aluminium for me a while back. It was after some consultation with various doctors in the field, decided that there was not link between aluminium and dementia. Although taking up smoking in later life is apparently beneficial. The theories concerning the causes of most types of dementia Vascular and Alzheimers etc change regularly. I have now gone back to using ali pots. Diet and stress have a greater effect than ali.

I shall attempt to get Val to post some info.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wayne said:
I shall attempt to get Val to post some info.

That would be great Wayne, because, with all respect to link posters, it would be niice to hear the opinions of someone who knows the subject.

Posting links is great, but I am sure we could all find links for or against any arguement including this one. Its like theoretical bushcraft skills, you can read how easy it is to make a quinzee if you trapped on a snow covered mountain in a blizzard with nothing but your underpants and a tooth pick - but making one is a different story!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I'm a psychiatric nurse so have a little knowledge of the subject :wink: , although I don't do much work with people with Alzheimer's now so wouldn't consider myself an expert. I do know where to go to get the information I need. For stuff like this it's best to go with science rather than opinion, anecdote or experience. It's different from bushcraft in that respect so I don't see a link with quinzees or hunting.

If the question is does ingesting aluminium cause Alzheimer's disease then the best current answer is that there is no proven link. Who do you trust to get that information from? For me I'd look to those scientists who work in the field. The best summary of that information appears to be available from the Alzheimer's Disease society, they've got no axe to grind, hence the link to their leaflet It's a long leaflet and I wouldn't want to breach their copyright. Here's another link to a paper called Causes of Alzheimer's disease Here's a snip from that article
Older theories, such as aluminum playing a role in the pathogenesis of AD, have been mostly discarded as our understanding of pathogenic mechanisms of AD has advanced.

Scientific knowledge about health and illness is always developing and it's not absolutely unknown for old advice to be thrown out because it makes things worse rather than better.

How any of us use this information is down to individual choice, and as you say Gary we probably run greater risks walking down the road.. or on our way to do some bushcraft... and I'm just wondering whether finding your self on a mountain-side with just your underpants and a toothpick might lead to a diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease? :naughty: :eek:):

jakunen

Native
Having been a scientist i have to disagree to a large extent and say that experience IS far better than scientific theory. You get half a dozen different research scientists together and very few will agree with each other on anything as their own pet theory is the only viable one. I'm not dissing your view, just stating my own, from my own experience.

You get a dozen peopel like my sister and her husband who are both psyhiatric nurses dealign with the elderly with my brother-in-law dealing exclusively with Alzeimers, and they will all generally agree on the best form of treatment or hadnling the patients FROM EXPERIENCE. Scientific theory is great, but is the practice that makes the difference. Exactly with Gary's point about it being easy in theory to build a quinzee but when you have to do it in a blizzard half way up a fjord, there's one hell of a big difference.

I knwo I'm a self confessed cynic but I'd take the experience of someone who's actually done something than the theory of someone who's only read a book/surfed a link...

If my life's gonna potentially rely on knowledge, I'll take the "I've done it for real" guy with me rather than the "I've read a really good book on it" guy. EVERY TIME!!!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Justin Time said:
How any of us use this information is down to individual choice, and as you say Gary we probably run greater risks walking down the road.. or on our way to do some bushcraft... and I'm just wondering whether finding your self on a mountain-side with just your underpants and a toothpick might lead to a diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease? :naughty: :eek:):

Now where did I leave that tooth pick! :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE