Aluminium bottle stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Made a new stove today from one of those Sigg style bottles that they sell in Poundland.

A lovely anodised red one:)

(The paint burnt off the windshield:()

Just thought I'd share

burner_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
burner_1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP2285.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
burner_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
That looks great mate. Is it as simple as cutting the bottom off and piercing holes, or is there more to it? I've a few of those bottles lying about so will give it a go.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's rather tidy :D
How's it's burn time ? and what does it weigh ? It certainly looks robust enough to take a potfull and not coggle :cool:

Shewie did a lot of these from assorted things, I think he organised some kind of comparison.... hopefully he'll see this thread :)

atb,
Toddy

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
It weighs 33g

I've just balanced on one foot on the top of it for you, no problem at all:) (I weigh 10.5 stone)

I don't know about the burn time I'm afraid, it was just a quick test

hope that helps:)

A civvy trangia burner weighs 68g (without cap and simmer ring)

Last edited:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
That looks great mate. Is it as simple as cutting the bottom off and piercing holes, or is there more to it? I've a few of those bottles lying about so will give it a go.

Pretty simple mate,

The top 40mm of the bottle inverted into the bottom 40mm of the bottle.

Squash the pieces together either in a vice, or in my case, scraps of wood and a few G-clamps.

File the top flush and de-burr the edges.

Pierce 16 holes, I used an old dart. (15mm down from the top)

Masking tape helps protect the paintwork when cutting. And marking the holes evenly

For a bit of shiny bling on the inside, get busy with some very fine wet-n dry and cutting compound (T-cut etc)

And then again with a cloth and cutting compound

Finish with a clean rag.

Have a go !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE