Alternative to a strobe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Instead of paying out for an expensive strobe light in case you ever need assistance or help especially out in the wilds there is an cheaper and lighter option.

You will need:

1 cylume/light stick.
1 piece of strong cord which is 1m.

Firstly open cylume pack and take out the light stick.
Secondly tie the string to the cylume.
Thirdly when required snap light stick and activate.
hold end of the string and swirl in a circle.

It is very easy to see from a long distance off and if a rescue helicopter is using night vision you will not disrupt the pilot but he will easily see you. You can swirl it around and there are not many circles of light in nature and movement and the circle will draw attention out on the hills. A lot cheaper and I find lighter too.

Hope this helps people :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Sounds like a good idea , as a light stick doesn't take up much space in your pack .

Have you ever seen the coverage that you get in a childs single bedroom when you leave 5 kids 10 light sticks and a pair of scissors alone for an hour ?

It did look good when the lights were out tho ! Glad it wasn't my house !

Craig..............

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Had one Cub try to get the 'glowy stuff' out of one in a patrol tent, that was interesting enough !

.... 5 kids, 10 sticks ...:lmao::rolleyes::)

so busy chuckling forgot to say thats a very good and simple idea twirling them, thanks.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Had one Cub try to get the 'glowy stuff' out of one in a patrol tent, that was interesting enough !

.... 5 kids, 10 sticks ...:lmao::rolleyes::)

I saw a guy with a mouthful of the stuff in a night club in Burnley back in the 90's :tongue-ti

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Glow sticks are great.

We have used them to mark a camp toilet which was setup some distance from us (in the bush), made finding it in the dark much easier - and a second stick back at camp to find your way home !

They are waterproof and we've used them for night scuba dives and snorkles; and we're planning a night canoe, so we'll have a few with us then too.

Here I can buy a packet of 15 "bracelet" glow sticks ($2), these are great to give to the kids when we're camping at night because you can easily spot them, and they love them too !

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Sounds like you have been listening to the same podcasts that I have ;)

I wondered if you had two, one tied to the end of the line and the other split open and poured over the line to make a very large solid disk when swung, would it improve the set up even more?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Great idea.

BUT if you’re in a situation where you need assistance due to say leg injuries how would you be able to stand around spinning the light stick surely flicking a switch a strobe torch would be easier and would conserve more energy?

Sorry to play devils advocate but it’s just an odd question I had.

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
My 6 year old split a small stick open in his bedroom then spread it out of his room and along the landing ,it looked like something from in Scooby Doo !!!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Definitely a good idea and very useful in a pinch but it has to be pointed out that a strobe can be used while in the water, I believe some strobes even come on automatically if submerged so could operate if you were unconscious and it can be left unattended while you get on with other stuff or take shelter.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
You can actually buy cyalumes with a length of cord wrapped around them ready for emergency use in this way. Fairly established use for bringing in helicopters etc, as the 'disc' of light is also directional.

And the liquid from a used cyalume makes a great firestarter too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE