Altberg Tethera Boots - The Marketing Spiel Was Actually True!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
When I bought these boots the guy in the shop said that the breathable membrane at the ankle meant the boots were to a certain extent self drying. If they filled completely with water he said to tip them out and put them back on, and the warmth of my feet and the breathable membrane will dry the inside out.

I didn't believe him and assumed this was just marketing patter.

I went for a 5 mile hike at the weekend. We came across a stream swollen with the recent rain that was just a smidge taller than my boots and which was able to get in around my gaiters. I hopped through very quickly so not a lot of water got in, not enough to justify trying to tip my boots out. Nonetheless, I was expecting a miserable, squelchy walk for the rest of the hike since I assumed the lining must have got soaked. This was my experience when encountering this scenario while wearing cheaper boots.

To my amazement my feet did not feel cold after just a few moments, and after a few minutes they didn't even feel wet.

When I got home after the hike I took my boot off and carefully examined the interior. It was dry! There was only a slight sweat residue on the inside.

My sock from that foot was actually dry, with not even a hint of either sweat or stream water.

These boots were not cheap. I'm starting to realise there was a reason for this :)

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Very nice looking boot with minimal stitching :) They look very similar to my Scarpa Sl's.

I haven't seen much of Sympatex for years, never seen it in a boot before. When Sympatex and Gore-Tex first came on the scene, Sympatex was preferred by lots of professionals I remember. Its good to know it works for you, not even EVent drys out for me which is why I stick with leather only.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE