Altberg Field & Fell boots - breaking in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 20, 2009
Scotland
After a bit of research, and the fortunate coincidence of being on holiday within an hours drive of the factory, I have got myself a pair of Altberg Field & Fell boots. http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/military_FFOrig.jsp

I've always had problems with blisters on my heels from boots, so I figured getting a custom fitting at the factory might finally get me a pair of boots that fitted snugly enough. Turns out I have narrow feet.

Anyway, I've had them on for 3 to 4 hours a night for the last week, just bimbling around the house. The fit is snug, but that's how Altberg fit them - they'll stretch slightly over time. I only have one issue - when I bend my foot, the base of the lace eyelets digs slightly in to the top of my foot.

I have two choices here - take them on a few long walks and hope that they break in and the leather around the eyelet loosens enough or send them back now and get a refund or another model. I can't do both - once I wear them outside they are non-returnable.

So, does anyone have any experience of Altberg F&F boots or a similar problem with boots? And if so, is there anything I can do or are they a lost cause? I hope not, as I like the style.

Algie

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
You have picked an excelant boot Algie, i have 2 prs, a standard(wide fit), and a custom made pair with out the membrane, as my summer boot.

I would speak to altberg, they will listen to what you have to say, and they can stretch them, to reduce pressure points.

You may need to loosen them off a bit, lace them differently, or wear thicker/thinner socks, until you get used to them. Having said this, i have always worn mine straight out of the box, and not had a problem. Hope this helps,

Rob

Aug 20, 2009
Scotland
Thanks for the feedback Woof.

I've taken the plunge and worn them to work today (dress down Friday). They're laced tight, but I've laced them such that they are snug across the foot, tight across the ankle (to keep the heel in place) and then loose up the leg. The locking lace eyelets at the base of the ankle help with the transition from the different tightnesses at the foot and ankle..

Algie

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Good, i hope that sorts it out. Did you get the lt/wt, or standard sole ?. I tend to walk on the outer edge of my boots, and mine spend almost all their time on hard surface's, so the lt/wt would'nt last me very long.

My older pair are about 4yrs old, and are now ready for their 4th sole, having also been re-furbed along the way. I hope you get as good service out of them as i have from mine.

I don't like the "new" locking eyelet, but i'm bit of a ludite !.

Rob

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
the easiest way to break in a new pair of books is to pee in them, urine is used in tanning leather and also an antiseptic. Ask any WW2 footslogger how they broke boots in.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
walk through a river in them get them soaking then walk a few km's
let them try on there own, but still wear them for a few hours even if still damp.
job done,

alterberg display team, afghanistan 1800km in 4 months.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just to bring this thread up to date, i've just got yet another pair, even though i'm only months away from early retirement !.

Rob

Landcruiser

Nov 18, 2013
Queensland
Don't confuse these with the Altberg microlites etc - they do need breaking-in and do take a while. I thought mine were too small for a while but persevered and although they are heavier than I would like, they are soooo comfortable, so dry and I have yet to have cold feet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE