Alt-Berg Boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
The eBay link is literally only a few pounds off cost. The olive leather darkens well with brown Leder Gris after a few coats.

Well worth it then :) does it also give it more of a brownish tint?

Another question in terms of sizing what should I go for?

I can't really go to richmond as its a little far. I'm normally a size 9, and i have a 9L in the old genuine issue boots that fit snug if i have issue boot socks and normal socks on. If just in normal socks my foot moves around a lot!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I wore Altbergs as a dog handler, & we all wore them with the skywalk sole, this sole is their hard surface sole, the microlite is more of an off road sole, & wears down very quickly when worn on hard surfaces. Those that did buy the boots with microlite soles, had them replaced with the skywalk ones when they neede re-soling.
Having said this, now i've retired i have purchased a pair of brown warriors with microlite soles, & they are so light, & so far i have'nt seen any noticable wear.

Rob

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Well worth it then :) does it also give it more of a brownish tint?

Another question in terms of sizing what should I go for?

I can't really go to richmond as its a little far. I'm normally a size 9, and i have a 9L in the old genuine issue boots that fit snug if i have issue boot socks and normal socks on. If just in normal socks my foot moves around a lot!

Thanks

If you are a L fitting AB recommend on their website going a half size larger. The brown LG will definitely darken the olive boots.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
If you are a L fitting AB recommend on their website going a half size larger. The brown LG will definitely darken the olive boots.

Without the thick issue woollen boot socks over normal thick socks though my foot moves around a lot. Obvs without the thick issue socks would a 9 medium be better? Or are you meant to wear the thick issue socks with these?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sometimes you just have to make a decision based on the information you have; however much you post nobody can know the size of your feet.
Not the end of the world if you get 9 1/2 and they're roomy - use socks/insoles to adjust the boot volume - or send 'em back for a smaller size :)

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Sometimes you just have to make a decision based on the information you have; however much you post nobody can know the size of your feet.
Not the end of the world if you get 9 1/2 and they're roomy - use socks/insoles to adjust the boot volume - or send 'em back for a smaller size :)

That is a good point. I find it hard to guage though unless you have a good trek in them. I'm just a bit weary as my feet are a tad smaller than a size 9 in all shoes I own so a 9 1/2 seems a bit scary to get as I dont wanna be moving around to much inside.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I definitely echo the above sizing statements - Altbergs come up tiny. I usually fit an 11.5, but on Altbergs, anything under a size 13 is too small. They have a bit of an odd last, that's very narrow, and doesn't seem to take account of the fact the front of your foot is generally broader than your heel!

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've gone with a 9 1/2 to play it safe and after being told by a few people that my feet are wider than I thought, the wide boot. If it doesn't fir the seller told me I can send it back for an exchange if one is available :)

For anyone interested in the olive green ones, the seller replied saying that the reason they're so cheap is because they're end of the line and olive green isn't being made any more. Personally for the sake of saving £60, I'm more than happy so have that colour :)

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I'm sure you are probably aware but best not wear the boots out of the house until you are sure they fit as if they have any trace of wear a lot of companies won't take them back. I had to go up a half size with Lowa boots as they are quite narrow too. I have the Alberg defender and they have an extra insole that you can take out to make them a bit bigger. Good luck with your new Altbergs.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
I'm sure you are probably aware but best not wear the boots out of the house until you are sure they fit as if they have any trace of wear a lot of companies won't take them back. I had to go up a half size with Lowa boots as they are quite narrow too. I have the Alberg defender and they have an extra insole that you can take out to make them a bit bigger. Good luck with your new Altbergs.

Thanks, don't worry I will make sure 1st. Fingers crossed, they fit 1st time. Looking forward to having some quality boots that don't tear my feet to shreds :)

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Just a quick update. Received my boots today, olive green isn't as bad as I thought. Still would of preferred brown, but being £60 better off it doesn't matter.

Anyway the boots, I'm normally a 9 but after taking the advice on here and online, i ordered a 9 1/2 wide (broad feet).

With a normal sock on i've probably got about 10mm of movement backwards and forwards if that. But when i bought my other combat boots i was told you need to wear a thick woollen sock over your normal sock. With my issue thick wool socks on as well, the fit is perfect, no movement back and forth.

When i tie the laces, my foot is held very firmly in place, with the slightest bit of heel slip as I walk maybe 1 or 2mm normal right? The upper part that holds the shin is very stiff, which i reckon is the cause of this, as the leather softens, it'll be able to anchor my foot in more at the bottom :)

Overall very happy! Very comfortable out of the box and I'm excited to take them out.

Anyway thanks for all the help and comments :) and to anyone wanting to buy the £99 Alt-bergs i linked, well worth the money!

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
You might find that when you head out for a long walk in them that your feet will swell slightly and the fit may well be perfect. I have the defenders size 9 and for short walks they fit fine anything over 10 miles and I just take out the extra insoles. I would recommend the altberg leder gris I use it on all my boots and I never get wet feet and it keeps the leather supple.

Good luck.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
You might find that when you head out for a long walk in them that your feet will swell slightly and the fit may well be perfect. I have the defenders size 9 and for short walks they fit fine anything over 10 miles and I just take out the extra insoles. I would recommend the altberg leder gris I use it on all my boots and I never get wet feet and it keeps the leather supple.

Good luck.

Yeah, i know a 9 would be only just to small so i think I made the right choice in boot size, its easier to pad out a slightly large gap than it os to cram something into a smaller one. Tbh the heel slip is next to minimum, theres always going to be a slight bit. They're by far a better fit than my genuine issue boots and they were fine on long hikes etc.

I've actually got some on order, i'd rather not risk a colour change using another boot polish tbh. Read nothing but good things about it online.

1jack1pike

Mar 16, 2014
Uk
Hi guys...
Dragging up a dead thread here, but I purchased a pair of the Altberg Warrior Aqua from that link (before I saw this mind).
They arrived today, and they are a very dark green, placed next to my desert boots they are pretty much brown!
The problem was that they were the wrong model - they were the Sneekers instead, I tried them on and they are VERY comfy, no complaints there... but pretty much as I got them laced up properly, a lady phoned me up, from the company - John Bull Clothing, apologising so much for posting the wrong boots! She informed me the ones I ordered are in the post and will be with me tomorrow, and that I can chose the one I want and send the other back with full refund on postage!
I was rather annoyed at first - but there first class customer service made me feel better!

I also have no affiliation with the company ;)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I bought the non-aqua boots and got a half size bigger, and I've also got a little heel lift in them but smaller would have been too tight, without doubt. These are the third pair of Altbergs I've had and they are a lot stiffer than the others out of the box; I suspect these are made in a factory in Italy to an MOD spec, and will supple up with use. I find the green colour quite acceptable for a saving of £60, and I reckon they'll come a good colour with the use of the brown Ledergris.

Very happy with them on the whole, and free delivery took less than 18 hrs, with a text to tell me what time they'd arrive;
they got here ten minutes early! Great company to do business with :)

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Glad to hear others are as happy with these boots as I am. i ordered 2 large tins of leder gris the other week as well, just to keep them well maintained. I personally really like the olive green now i've had them a few weeks, it grows on you and in some lights it looks brown anyway :)

I recommend these boots to anyone looking for a quality pair!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I am seriously tempted by the defenders as a replacement for my last pair of combat boots that had the soles fall apart. I normally were a 9.5 but the old issue boots 10m seemed the best. Pity there's no where near to try before I buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE