Alt-Berg Boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on Alt-Berg boots.

1. What is the difference between the warrior and defender boots? Can't find this answer anywhere really :/

2. The skywalk and microlite soles. Which is which? I'm assuming the microlite soles are the ones with the little knobbly crosses and the skywalk ones are the ones with the bigger crosses on the tread?

3. Why on the Alt-berg website do they not sell the standard warrior with the microlite sole in the MOD brown colour (taking into account my assumptions above) but on most other sites including ebay that sell these boots they do?

I really like the look of these boots but i'm so confused to what to get :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
One bit of advice I can offer is that if you intend to use the boots much on tarmac and pavement, don't get Skywalk soles, they're deadly slippery and wear quickly; but they're the business off-road!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I called at the factory last Monday. The squire there told me.....basically no sole is going to be great on wet rock.
I've ordered a pair of gamekeeper ??? (Fancy coated things)
22weeks waiting time !

So I'm getting some 2nd hand ones to put me on .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Chis. :)

I'd love to know why soles seem worse on wet rock than they were 20 odd years ago. My old pair of Zamberlans were amazing for grip, nothing has come close so far boot wise.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I found the Skywalk sole very bad on any hard, smooth surface whether rock, fallen wood, and really deadly in freezing conditions...........but IIRC, you can specify Vibram soles on their boots, at least that used to be the case.

The other thing I found with Altbergs is that they seemed to come up small; not in the length and width but in so far as the volume of the boots seemed limited.......I would recommend doing what chiseller did and go for a fitting as they'll fettle the boots for you to some extent while you wait.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Cheers Mac. :)

That rules out the Sywalk sole for me then. Great info and a trip up is well worth it to get a properly fitted pair of boots.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Where is best to go and try a pair on. I found a place in wolverhampton that sells ex issue defenders for £60. I'm tempted to go and have a look, i don't like the idea of having second hand boots though, they're the kind of thing i like to own from new.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Where is best to go and try a pair on. I found a place in wolverhampton that sells ex issue defenders for £60. I'm tempted to go and have a look, i don't like the idea of having second hand boots though, they're the kind of thing i like to own from new.

Just call 'em up at the factory in Richmond, N Yorks, and make an appointment for a fitting and advice; they carry a good stock of other maker's boots too, and if their own kit doesn't suit your feet thay'll recommend some that do and sell them to you, as well.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The Warriors have a microlite sole unit with a vibram pattern. The microlite system is the build of the sole unit i.e. a lightweight layered system of material instead of a rubber composite. The beauty of AB is the ability to readily replace the sole units. I know of one person who has replaced the sole 6 times in 6 years on the same leather upper.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
The Warriors have a microlite sole unit with a vibram pattern. The microlite system is the build of the sole unit i.e. a lightweight layered system of material instead of a rubber composite. The beauty of AB is the ability to readily replace the sole units. I know of one person who has replaced the sole 6 times in 6 years on the same leather upper.

So the ones in the link above aren't the skywalk sole?

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Is that good or bad? Sorry i'm completely lost with this sole business :/

I have found these http://bit.ly/1ciNYeE although not the MOD brown, I don't mind the olive green and they're £50 cheaper than everywhere else.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's good, in most people's opinion; it's the Skywalk that are problematic. The boots you link to have the Vibram Masai sole and these are well thought of.

The green ones you link to are a very good price, and green is an ok colour.............I might go for a pair of them myself at that price.......

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
That's good, in most people's opinion; it's the Skywalk that are problematic. The boots you link to have the Vibram Masai sole and these are well thought of.

The green ones you link to are a very good price, and green is an ok colour.............I might go for a pair of them myself at that price.......

That makes much more sense! Thanks for bearing with me and clearing that up! I thought it was the tread pattern that distinguished the sole type . . . Silly me lol.

Yeah I deffo prefer brown, I'm not a fan of black. But for a saving of £50ish I haven't got a problem with having olive green, i suppose in a way they'll blend in more in british countryside :)

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
If you dont mind me asking where in Wolverhampton did you find to try the boots on, as I am quite interested in having a look at a pair myself.

Thanks Ade

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE