Alpkit rig 7 tarp problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I recently purchased an Alpkit rig 7 tarpA brilliant bit of kit slightly smaller than the DD 3x3 but half the weight and packs a bit smaller too.
The tarp arrived next day but and was the wrong colour,not really a problem as it did blend in quite well and didn't stick out like a sore thumb.I added some dyneema guylines and a dyneema ridge line this brought the total weight (including titanium pegs) to 550g.Really light and really small packsize for a good sized tarp.
The first time I used it in the rain it leaked fro 6 different guy points including every point on the ridge line.Some were drips and others were seepage that ran down the inside of the tarp.I contacted Alpkit to see what could be done.They replied a day later asking for photographs of the leaks,I couldn't see much point in this as the tarp was now dry,but sent photos anyway.They didn't reply so I phoned them and was told that they were busy at the moment getting ready for the outdoors show and someone would call me back the next day.They didn't.
Another e-mail sent and then someone called me back and asked me to return the tarp and they would check it over and make a decision,but it wouldn't be until the next Monday after the show(it seems that selling is more important than solving customer problems once they have your money) today was wednesday.
I returned the tarp and a week later I recieved a new one ,this one was the colour I originally ordered.I used it in the dry and had no problems.
This weekend I used it and it rained,again the guyline points leaked.Fed up with the tarp now I have decided to repair it myself,all it needed was a little seam sealer on the inside of the guyline points where it hasn't been correctly applied in the factory.
So for the sake of a little bit of seam sealer ,a little bit more concern for a faulty product,and a little bit of courtesy by dealing with my problem rather than being too busy preparing for a sales show ,,Alpkit have lost a customer.
Shame really as it could have been a great deal with them but for an apparent lack of concern for customer satisfaction.

Would I recommend Alpkit?
NO

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Lot of tarps are sold unsealed. Just a mix of white spirit and silicone applied with a brush does the trick. Same with Golite for instance.
It would be almost better if they had not seam sealed at all and announced it.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
That surprises me - from my dealings with them Alpkits have been good. Quick replies and courteous with queries/issues. Couldn't they have just fessed up and explained it hadn't been seam-sealed?

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
It had been seam sealed ,just not properly in some points.The seam that joins the two halfs was fine but the ridge line runs at 90 degrees to it.The guyline points were the bits that leaked along the ridge line where there is no seam.

nick from alpkit

Mar 14, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi sapper1
I'm really sorry that you have had a problem, and my only defense to the poor service that you received is that we are still a small company and that on those particular days we were extremely stretched. Normally we are very good at dealing with any problems but on this occasion we had 4 people building the stand in Birmingham and 2 printing off graphics at the unit that pretty much left Izzy to fend for herself when it came to dealing this issue.
You have highlighted how important it is not to let our high standards slip no matter what we are doing, and will certainly look at how we can do that.

I am also really sorry that you have had a problem with the 2nd tarp.

Cheers

Nick

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I never used to have a bad word to say about Alpkit but my last couple of purchases have been interesting to say the least. It seems they might have outgrown themselves and sometimes struggle to keep up with demand and small matters of incompetence with regards to orders etc. I can't fault their products I have to say and I've got quite a lot them, I look like I'm sponsored by them on canoe trips these days :) I do have a niggle with them regarding my DryDock which seems to allow moisture through in heavy rain, not a leak as such but it's definitely getting in somewhere, maybe it's a capillary thing ? The only other complaint I have of them is the carry on I had with my Pipedream 400 before Christmas, I ordered on the 25th of November and it didn't turn up until January 11th :( And all because they'd put the wrong house number on the address, something I asked them to check weeks previously.
Can't comment on their tarps as I've not tried one, the dry bags (usually) and the sleeping bags are top quality though.

Last edited:

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
We had to return a wrongly sent sleeping mat (wedge instead of dirtbag) and a faulty Gamma headtorch (wouldn't stay on in small LED mode). Had absolutely no probs with the customer service though, and Izzy was very helpful on both accounts. Every order has been shipped very promptly.
We have bought a large proportion of our kit for them and would still go back for more.

We have a Rig 7 but not yet tried it in heavy or prolonged rain

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hi sapper1
I'm really sorry that you have had a problem, and my only defense to the poor service that you received is that we are still a small company and that on those particular days we were extremely stretched. Normally we are very good at dealing with any problems but on this occasion we had 4 people building the stand in Birmingham and 2 printing off graphics at the unit that pretty much left Izzy to fend for herself when it came to dealing this issue.
You have highlighted how important it is not to let our high standards slip no matter what we are doing, and will certainly look at how we can do that.

I am also really sorry that you have had a problem with the 2nd tarp.

Cheers

Nick
The problem I have is not the customer service(we all have days when we're not as good as we'd like to be).My problem is the fact that I've had 2 tarps both with the same problem,maybe better quality control is needed.I've had 2 poor nights out and 2 days drying kit if quality was better checked then perhaps I wouldn't have.

And from the above replies I don't seem to be the only one with quality issues.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sounds like a problem with the source manufacturers QA, it'd be tricky for Alpkit to check the quality of every item they send out. However maybe some spot checks are needed if the manufacturers are getting sloppy as they scale up supply. Either way it's a tricky one to pick up until enough people have reported it.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Sounds like a problem with the source manufacturers QA, it'd be tricky for Alpkit to check the quality of every item they send out. However maybe some spot checks are needed if the manufacturers are getting sloppy as they scale up supply. Either way it's a tricky one to pick up until enough people have reported it.

Personally ,if had an item returned for replacement due to a defect I'd have checked that the replacement was up to scratch.Generally if an item is faulty then the whole production run will have the same fault.Just look at the recalls of cars lately,one braking problem on one car and every one of them had the same fault,this is because quality control is set and then every item is made the same way.If quality control is set incorrectly then every item will also be incorrect.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Interesting. I had been thinking about getting one of the Rigs - I think I'll give them a miss just now, until there is a reason given for the lack of quality in the Rigs - quite possibly you were unlucky and got the only 2 bads ones. Or there may be an issue with the factory. In any case, the cost of these items should ensure you get a fully working item.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Don't let my problems put you off,they are a great bit of kit that just needs to be tested before use.The leaks have been cured by the application of a small bit of seam sealer.It's been up in the garden allday with the sprinkler on it and no leaks yet.But as you say for what they cost ,they should work without being repaired first.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I've been dusting off some kit for Spring/Summer use and been thinking about Alpkit. I've had a couple of problems with their products as well. Nothing really major and I've not really complained. I'm never sure if it is me or what. But by way of a long term usage review, here are my comments:

1. I bought 3 Fat Airic mats and they didn't stand up to nearly as much family abuse as I'd expected. After about a year of camping use they would not stay inflated for any length of time and were hard to repair. This may be me. But I have replaced one of them with another brand which has lasted longer, still going strong, so I'm not taking all the blame!

2. I have 2 Gourdon packs, a small blue one and a slightly bigger stealth one. The plastic strip inside the opening that you roll the top around to close and seal them has broken into small pieces on both of them and shifted to one end, which means they won't seal very easily at all especially when full. They now basically don't work as intended in wet environments. I need to replace these as well.

On balance I think they make some good kit - I also have Gammas, stuff sacks, and various titanium cooking items - but the price point is pretty low and I'm not really sure the products are that robust in even medium term use. This is certainly true of the two products above. In both cases I had more than 1 of each and the failure was the same.

If you can afford it, I think it is worth investing in better quality kit, certainly sleeping mats and packs. Of course the products may have improved but clearly I won't be making repeat purchases just to find out!

Chris

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Only problem i ever had with Alpkit gear was a sleep mat (Fat Airic) that started to delaminate, ie the nylon outer was coming away from the foam inside, took a photo of it emailed Alpkit and they replaced the mat there and then, iirc they even paid return postage for the knackered one, the replacement they sent even had a nice little hand written one line note with it saying sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I would like also to add my voice to the satisfied customers. I have many of their products (some for close to 3 years), just a sweet cost-weight spot:
- titanium mug & spork
- gourdon bag
- many dry bags
- bivy
- pegs
- airic mat
- bag rain cover
- socks
- lanterns

Never had an issue, always excellent service.

Not to contradict the issue reported by sapper; it can never be all withe or all black. But I would recommend them.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've had an e-mail from Alpkit apologising and asking for the tarp to be returned for inspection.
I replied that I won't be sending it back as this is the second one with the same problem and I'd just as likely get a third with the same problem.
I have cured the leaks using seam sealer and now have a tarp that doesn't leak,so I'm going to keep it.
I have informed Alpkit exactly where the problem is and why it's happened so they should be able to sort it out for any others they sell.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Generally Alpkit have a very good reputation but there have been a few issues. One I read on another forum was resolved and was down to a faulty batch IIRC. SOmeone on that thread says the sign of good service is not when something goes right but when it goes wrong. In the case of Sapper1 they sent out a faulty second tarp. That is not good at all. If one item has a fault then you make sure its replacement has been checked and make sure it doesn't have any faults but especially the one the first item had.

A quick five minute test could have saved the bad word on this forum. There is a customer service truism I once heard... a good word earns a couple of new customers a bad word loses 10 customers. Or words to that effect. Alpkit Nick not your fault nor that of the stretched Izzy but surely a quick check on replacement goods can't be too hard to do?? I think from Sappar1's posts he''s not too ****** about the faulty first one but he seems to be more narked about the replacement having the same problem.

On another matter Alpkit Nick, do you have any of those excellent rig 7 tarps in yet? What colours are in stock? Grey, green and what other colour??

I am not daft asking as despite OP's problem I doubt it will happen every time. I think this is a rare occurrence and I have only had perfect goods from them in the past and exspect if I do buy one it will also be good. Whether I do depends whether my current sil-nylon tarp re-proofing works on my next trip out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE