Alpkit PD- Whos got one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Hi all,
How many of you have Alpkit pipedream's. What do think of them. If i buy one will i not have to buy another sleeping bags for the next 10 years say. How highly do you rate them?
Just checking before spending £170

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got the 400 and 600, both standing up very well to plenty of use. They get stored in the big bags and get stuffed under a spare bed, if you've got somewhere they'll hang full length then even better.

Toasty, light, well made, British company etc etc

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I've got the 400 and 600, both standing up very well to plenty of use. They get stored in the big bags and get stuffed under a spare bed, if you've got somewhere they'll hang full length then even better.

Toasty, light, well made, British company etc etc
Thanks shewie. +1 for the PD.

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I've got a PD 600 and it compares very well with a bag I have that cost twice as much. It lofts very well and the temp rating seems to be pretty accurate. I don't think you can get a bag as good for less than £100 more.

I'm planning to buy a PD 800 when they get them back in stock to fill the winter bag gap in my collection (or if someone has a good condition secondhand PD800 they want to part with....)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I've got a PD 600 and it compares very well with a bag I have that cost twice as much. It lofts very well and the temp rating seems to be pretty accurate. I don't think you can get a bag as good for less than £100 more.

I'm planning to buy a PD 800 when they get them back in stock to fill the winter bag gap in my collection (or if someone has a good condition secondhand PD800 they want to part with....)
Thanks the general idea seems that they are very good bags.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I have a PD 400 and on its own or with a silk liner it has seen me toasty through all conditions thrown at me in the last 12 months.

Thanks for that granite head. I might just have to get one. Its going to be heart breaking to part with that amount of dosh though. :(

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
What side zip should i get. Left or right?

as you lie flat in the bag it is generally easier to reach over to close zip than to pull up zip same side, in other words if you are right handed get left zip and if you are left handed get a right zip, alpkit give details of this on their site.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
as you lie flat in the bag it is generally easier to reach over to close zip than to pull up zip same side, in other words if you are right handed get left zip and if you are left handed get a right zip, alpkit give details of this on their site.
This is what i thought might be the case.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have a 400. To be honest I thought a few of the baffles nearer the neck area were a little light on down and felt almost un-insulated. I weighed the bag and the measurement came within specs so I guess there was the specified amount just not distributed too well. The leg and foot area seemed very well insulated. Alpkit offered a replacement but as I already had used it and got it stinking of wood smoke this was no go.

On using it on a mat I was just about OK last march in Wales on a camping trip. On needing a pee I left the tent and it had snowed lightly or a heavy frost. I sleep warm so this is a consideration. If you don't maybe the 600 would be better if your thinking of near zero degree sleeping?

I am quite pleased with the bag minus the niggling issue of the lack of down at the top end. Packs down nice and small. It is a bit snug though in use. I am 5ft 10" and 14 stone and I have awoken in a bit of a claustrophobic panic at times!!

On reflection I would have gone for the 600. My reason being if it's too hot I could use it as a quilt but if cold would be slightly better than the 400 without having the bulk of the 800?

Steve.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I have a 400. To be honest I thought a few of the baffles nearer the neck area were a little light on down and felt almost un-insulated. I weighed the bag and the measurement came within specs so I guess there was the specified amount just not distributed too well. The leg and foot area seemed very well insulated. Alpkit offered a replacement but as I already had used it and got it stinking of wood smoke this was no go.

On using it on a mat I was just about OK last march in Wales on a camping trip. On needing a pee I left the tent and it had snowed lightly or a heavy frost. I sleep warm so this is a consideration. If you don't maybe the 600 would be better if your thinking of near zero degree sleeping?

I am quite pleased with the bag minus the niggling issue of the lack of down at the top end. Packs down nice and small. It is a bit snug though in use. I am 5ft 10" and 14 stone and I have awoken in a bit of a claustrophobic panic at times!!

On reflection I would have gone for the 600. My reason being if it's too hot I could use it as a quilt but if cold would be slightly better than the 400 without having the bulk of the 800?

Steve.
I've been thinking of getting a PD 600 all along. I'm 9 stonne and 160 cm so I should be ok from that point of view. Thanks for your post. I think I'll take the plunge soon.
Thanks
Jacob

Last edited:

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
I have a hammock and plan to use it in that as well. What do you mean by this. Do you mean I should get a left hand one of I plan to use it in my hammock.

It means get the the sips the same side - it's so when you are getting in the hammock you are also getting in the bag (or vice versa). This isn't as critical if you use the bag as a quilt but if you are right handed you now have two good reasons for considering a left hand zipped bag.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I went for the Skyehigh 800 as I was led to beleive it offers slightly more room to move.

100% happy so far to a big Thanks to The Big Lebowski for the recommendation. :You_Rock_

Oh yes, left zip for the right hander every time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE