Alpkit Kelvin Insulated Mug - What is twin walled?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nedkelly

Mar 20, 2014
jhbasvdmnxm
Hi,

Ive been looking at this as I fancy an insulated mug.

I don't want a vacuum insulated mug though as they tend to break their seal too often.

Anyone know?

Cheers.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just what it say's, there an inner wall, an air gap, then the outer wall....the air gap serves to insulate the contents of of the mug

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
The problem is that twin-walled is used to mean a vacuum too, i.e. inner wall, vacuum, outer wall.
Years ago I bought a cheap Stanley insulated mug which was plastic inner and outer with insulated foam in between. No seal to break and its lasted 25 years and counting.

nedkelly

Mar 20, 2014
jhbasvdmnxm
yeah thats the problem id only heard of twin walled vacuum, I wanted twin walled foam, but i think this is twin walled air.

I just don't know how well it will perform.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I think that the mugs are not vacuum sealed just sealed. Anything with a vacuum dents very easy and the last twin wall steel mug I had didn't dent much so I think it's just sealed. Quite good though.

JayOram

Apr 20, 2011
Kent
Hey guys,

You are quite right - no vacuum - just two walls sealed around the edge. The air inside acts as insulation, similar to that little cardboard sleeve around a takeaway coffee, a bit better than that, but similar principle.

Jay

(Alpkit staff)

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have one of these - might do a full review some time. Anyway, the insulation on these mugs is not fantastic. You can feel the metal warm when you pour in boiling water. It gets quite hot, not too hot to touch, but hot. So it won't keep drinks hot for hours, but will still do better than a single-wall mug.

I actually like that it's not so insulative. It lets hot tea cool to drinking temp, but does keep it hot enough so you can linger over it. Some insulating mugs I have keep tea so scalding hot you can't touch it for ages.

So if you're looking for something to work like a thermos, this ain't it, but it's a nice mug anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE