Alox Farmer mod

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I've long held the SAK Alox Farmer as one of the best best slipjoints ever made, and it has certainly been my choice of bushcraft knife for a long time. The saw and the thicker blade just make it almost perfect. I say almost because of one thing, that bloody keyring tab!

It sticks out at almost 90 degrees and cuts into your palm when using the saw or the blade, making long term use awkward to say the least. So today I got my set of files out and removed the tab. Big file to remove the bulk, needle files to finish it off. A quick polish with 600 grit wet and dry and Bob's your dads brother.

I cannot say enough about the difference that this mod has made. It is smoother in the pocket, nicer in the hand. Sawing is a joy, and all manner of grips are now available when using the blade and they all work well. It looks much more symmetrical and appealing, curvy and metallic. It is now a thing of beauty, a ten that used to be a nine. It is now so good that the devil on my shoulder is saying that I should carry it everywhere and my favourite Case Peanut should be put on the shelf. Nah, not going to happen but extra urban carry is a definite. (The Peanut stays though, everywhere!) I've lost the lanyard capability and gained a knife. A knife that is now so usable that all my other SAKs, bar the wee ones, might get the same treatment. It's so tactile now that I keep touching it, because I can.... I am now worried for myself.

This is probably re-inventing the wheel, but I did a Google today on doing what I just did and had no results. Anyone else tried this?
If you haven't, you should.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Hmm I am just looking at my hiker and the little key ring thing does dig in when I am trying to use the main blade. I have never put a lanyard on it, because it is a pocket knife. Yet I have many times had to turn my pocket inside out to detach the little keyring from the seam. I hadn't thought of removing the little keyring tab before but I am seriously considering it now. Thanks for the idea!

Z

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
With ...

VICTORINOX+Taschenmesser+Pioneer-Farmer+-+Alox.jpg

Without ...

LuglessFarmer.jpg

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Nice mod Ian - I wish Victorinox would copy Wenger with their hollow rivet idea, makes excellent sense to me. I agree with your sentiments on the Farmer - Very useful set of tools with bombproof build quality.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Before
SAM_0351.jpg
[/IMG]

After
SAM_0808.jpg
[/IMG]

Close up of where the tab used to be
SAM_0810.jpg
[/IMG]

Holstered
SAM_0811.jpg
[/IMG]

An in all it's shiny glory
SAM_0813.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks again to Topknot for the holster.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Nice pics, S-mixer. Sweet holster.
Ian,
The pix were taken by the North Esk in Angus. I've built a seat down there out of driftwood and old fenceposts
SAM_0796.jpg
[/IMG]

With this view...
SAM_0797.jpg
[/IMG]

Great place for wildlife and chilling out.
As for the holster Topknot does excellent work. I'd have to bungee jump to have it fall out!

Cheers

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
It's so far from the track that I pretty much get it to myself. None of the actual paths go near it and the closest one to it cuts through the dunes and goes to the beach.
It's a regular for seals, dolphins and all manner of bird life.
I love it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE