alone in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
William#

I watched a program a few years ago about 'Peat Marsh' a bronze age body found in a Somerset peat bog. He had some tattoos that had no aparent significance until someone sugesteed that they coincided with acupuncture points. This may have been one method that they used.

Pothunter.

Maybe he was a bushcrafter with a low boredom threshhold.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm a biologist. I'm never at a loss for something to do in the woods. Field guides, binos, and a handlens and I have all I need to keep me occupied.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
If it's fine, I like to find a decent opening in the canopy, get well wrapped up, and star gaze. There is so much out there to think about, I find this very therapeutic! Deep in the woods, there is very little light pollution which helps a great deal. Chris

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
:) for me the same as most others here I think. Depends on a lot of things. I still spend more nights on mountains than I do in woods, which is where more artificial entertainment comes in. On the hills I'll tend to snuggle into a sleeping bag, read a book or listen to language CDs on an mp3 player. In the woods I often take a walk, enjoy the wildlife and the scenery. Sometimes play games - see how quietly I can move, how close I can get to X without it seeing me, etc.
Also like Mayfly said, lie down and watch the sky above :) It's wonderful at this time of year; dark early, meteor showers, watching the satellites going over...
The strange thing is, at home I can get bored, whereas in the outdoors I never seem to

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Mend and repair, plan out the morrow, sit by the fire and dream, listen to some music, read, listen to the night and watch the stars, remember.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
For me on my own i normally go for a ninja stalking walk about to see if i can see or hear anyone else that would be in the woods with me, I then go to my camp and camoflauge it again because by now i have night vision and set a few alarms up around my camp , I.e string with a tin and a few stones in - I do all this before i settle down and get the fire going because when im alone im very cautious and superstious about my safety, Then for the night i just plain and simple relax by the fire carving a branch in to some dodgy shape then throw it away on the fire and sometimes sing :240: then ring and text everyone i know and dont know and have awkwardly long conversation about nothing with them, and sometimes if i bring a collection of grub i see if i can make a big stew or broth with it :lmao:

I swear if you stumbled onto me when i was camping alone you would think i was a mad man :thinkerg: ( Not that i am ofcourse:27: )

Are you by any chance in a Theatre of War at the moment either for real or imaginary nothing wrong with the latter just wondered :AR15firin nothing wrong with keeping yourself safesafe:sulkoff:

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Well i will be soon :D , Just my area i have a 1 mile area of woods literally you can walk from 1 end to the other in 5 minutes and i come from a town where you have to keep safe or you going to get stabbed, aha, Example, when i first started camping i just bunked down anywhere, Some yobs ( teenage chav dickheads as they are called ) saw my fire while they where walking through the woods in their big group getting drunk one night and found my camp started causing **** and i was just with my mate, luckily we dont take any crap and they realised and buggered off, but i say if im on my own and a group comes and they find my asleep or switched off ive had it havnt i? I mean nowdays you fight back YOUR in the wrong, so i like to take the precatiuon. :p

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Just spent a week by myself in the woods and spent the entire time collecting, splitting, drying, swigging (cold martell) and eating! Its good to be alone, saves argument's and stress :lmao:

Once my pad and stove set up is organised and I've had my brew up and some nosh, I'll sit quietly alone within a poncho liner, binoculars handy, sitting, watching wildlife, becoming one with the setting sun, then I will gently launch my canoe and paddle ever so softly across the still waters and welcome the moon under a big sky. a night time paddle, alone from an island, has got to be one of the most calming, spiritual and challenging things to ever do.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Can't you go further afield commandocal somewhere more remote when I wanted to get away from things and was finding civvie life to hard to get to grips with ( it just seemed to mundane and AGGGGG ) I used to head out ....of the rat race and live for awhile on my own get my head straight then return, then you realize its you against the world not the world against you
Im ex Recce troop 6yrs you get used to solitude, believe me have a long hard think my friend you have to think what difference you are going to make in the bigger picture myself and some close buddies now know the answer and its not what any raw recruit would what to hear from guys who have done it.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Nah mate, There is no where near me except this small public bit of wood, Their is other places but its Sneaky Beaky stuff and im not going to risk getting shot or rifle butted haha :D , Hope the forces will expand my oppurtunities to get away from this and to be honest its the only thing i can see myself doing :p

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Nah mate, There is no where near me except this small public bit of wood, Their is other places but its Sneaky Beaky stuff and im not going to risk getting shot or rifle butted haha :D , Hope the forces will expand my oppurtunities to get away from this and to be honest its the only thing i can see myself doing :p

There is one thing you can be sure of they will exploit your capabilities which will expand your opportunities there is no question of that, there is other ways to escape the humdrum of civvy life lots more, the military is only a small part of it, think in the singular if I could make one person take a different path in life I would be happy I don't want to get into the politics behind it just trust me on this one I come from a long line of Military personnel my mums brother being in situ in Whitehall and becoming very disalousioned after over 26 years of service

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
Can't you go further afield commandocal somewhere more remote when I wanted to get away from things and was finding civvie life to hard to get to grips with ( it just seemed to mundane and AGGGGG ) I used to head out ....of the rat race and live for awhile on my own get my head straight then return, then you realize its you against the world not the world against you
Im ex Recce troop 6yrs you get used to solitude, believe me have a long hard think my friend you have to think what difference you are going to make in the bigger picture myself and some close buddies now know the answer and its not what any raw recruit would what to hear from guys who have done it.

would love to hear more about that please go on !

:cool:
There is one thing you can be sure of they will exploit your capabilities which will expand your opportunities there is no question of that, there is other ways to escape the humdrum of civvy life lots more, the military is only a small part of it, think in the singular if I could make one person take a different path in life I would be happy I don't want to get into the politics behind it just trust me on this one I come from a long line of Military personnel my mums brother being in situ in Whitehall and becoming very disalousioned after over 26 years of service

Wise words, its one thing going in eyes open another to doit for an escape, there are so many other ways to escape the day to day grind. Talk to folk who have been there seen and done it and think long term. There are worse things to do without a doubt, but there are also less complicated ones.
Tim

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)

Good point there Woodstock, I spent 9.5yrs in the Army and to be honest loved it, thought it was going to be my life, but one day you go out for a short run with your section, trip over a small lip in the footpath and destroy one of your knees, go through surgery and all the physio stuff and then get shown the gate with a hand shake coz they cant fix the problem and the cure has just stuffed you up more... always have an exit plan... I work as an English teacher (ESL) now and love it too...

Now as for camping out alone...

I usually just sit by the fire, work out what I want to do the next day, improve my camp a little, carve a walking stick or do some spotlighting, or read and listen to the radio for a while and write in my Bushcrafting Journal about what I have seen and done that day...

Cheers,

Karl

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Good point there Woodstock, I spent 9.5yrs in the Army and to be honest loved it, thought it was going to be my life, but one day you go out for a short run with your section, trip over a small lip in the footpath and destroy one of your knees, go through surgery and all the physio stuff and then get shown the gate with a hand shake coz they cant fix the problem and the cure has just stuffed you up more... always have an exit plan... I work as an English teacher (ESL) now and love it too...

Now as for camping out alone...

I usually just sit by the fire, work out what I want to do the next day, improve my camp a little, carve a walking stick or do some spotlighting, or read and listen to the radio for a while and write in my Bushcrafting Journal about what I have seen and done that day...

Cheers,

Karl

They don't want your problems they only create them in my opinion
as for wild camping spot on, do what you want to do....no more, no less

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Sleep, I use it to reduce my sleep debt. My daughter is a 5.30 riser and i never usually finish my stuff until after 10. Sleeping 9.30 pm - 8.30 am is one of the great joys of my life!

When I am in one of my favourite spots I awake to see the north face of Pen-y-fan. A long sleep and that view - perfect.

However a good book and radio 4 playing gently in one ear are right up there too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE