Allotment and stuff!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
'Ask and yea shall find'
Brown gold.,.
Between 6 and 12 months old horse manure...
unynytah.jpg

I've got as much as I can carry in the van 😄
huhevuzy.jpg

Today's work.
Lovely warm day today, the pile of rubbish is what I dug out!
Hard going but I'm getting there

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Perfect stuff - that'll do the soil real good. Keep grabbing it when you can - even if new, just put it in with your compost to rot and work it in next Spring.

When you burn those scrap wood offcuts, pile those roots on and burn them too - they will never rot!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
3 hours spare for digging this morning... 2oc with cold wind and snow in the air well wrapped up in thermals and then the Swedish snow smock.Well impressed with the smock its great at cutting the wind out😄
Mucked up one bed
9e6ebadu.jpg

For some reason tapatalk won't let me load more images?!
Anyhow hopefully more time tomorrow so ill construct the beds.
One question for you gurus I seem to remember reading somewhere that a certain vegetable didn't like horse manure??? I'm struggling to find the info now but obviously am reluctant to spread muck over all the beds if for instance roots don't like it!!!
Anyhow hopefully more progress tomorrow.
D

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
I'm no guru, but my understanding is that rich soil isn't too good for carrots. They will grow but be short and the root will branch out. Onions don't do too well with too much nitrogen and it is best to pit manure down a few months before planting onions or their relatives.
Again, I am no guru and I may be corrected.

PS. I am watching this thread with great interest!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dave, root vegetables don't like over manuring. Its useful to establish a cycle (google four year crop rotation) and follow the manuring with correct crops. At this stage though, I wouldn't worry too much, soil condition is more important to my mind

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta for the replies.
Very cool today -2oc and pretty blowy but determined to get a bit more done.
No pics as Tapatalk still thrown its dummy out the pram...

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
A pretty cool day.
qy5ysuda.jpg

But getting done
mema9ype.jpg

Sorry about my ugly mug! Note the dyed Swedish smock....😉
8epy7u5u.jpg
Two done... Enough wood to do one more bed although it will have to be in a few pieces...
Two foot between beds which is enough to kneel between for me.... The paths will be carpeted and then wood chippings.
Anyway all being well third bed in tomorrow then need to scrounge more wood!!!
I'm guessing the ground wants to be a bit warmer to get the first early spuds in? Froste here at the mo... D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Any time now Dave for earlies....beginning April for mains. The frost shouldn't get down far enough to hurt

Beds look great!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok BR Ill get them in if its not too frosty tomorrow.
They dont seem to have shooted much this time??
I seem to remember them being better the last time I put them in.... been chitting I guess a month.
A farmer I kniow always chitted in the dark??? I thought it was the light that caused em to to shoot?!
Anyway mine have been chtiing in the downstairs loo which is cold and light.
Was looking at sweet potatoes?
We really like sweet spuds so was thinking it might be nice o have a go..
I notice from your blog Hugh youve put in more beds.
D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never tried sweet pots.

If they haven't chitted, leave em till they have - or at least a week or two, its not time critical.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The have chitted to a degree.
eqeje9e3.jpg

This is about the best one but all have shoots some more and bigger than others.
It's 2oc here this morning and sunny.
So was thinking about getting them in this afternoon whilst making another bed.
D

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not very useful if you have raised beds but when I worked our massive garden in Wiltshire I used a wheel hoe and long rows of veg to get the best out of it. Following on from my early Guru John Seymour and his comments on French horticulture where "they grow the best vegetables in the world, a row of this and a half row of that." in his Fat of the Land book.

Mine was a Jalo wheel (push) hoe with a number of attachments, even a plough, it could be hard work pushing it but it certainly did the job and I regretted giving it away when we moved although I had decided on a more hunter-gatherer lifestyle in Cornwall with foraging and fishing rather than the constant work of veg growing.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wouldn't be worried planting a first early that well chitted Dave - bear in mind it'll be under ground a few weks yet which will insulate from frost.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nice work with the beds, you have a good amount of space to crop there.

Looking at your sturdy work reminds me that I need to re-fix our little beds before doing anything else.

I was given some Picasso seed spuds recently; they are supposed to be good with a high yield.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The wheel hoe looks very useful!!!
Stuff coming up all over the place in the garden... quite novel to be in a garden that hasn't been planted by myself....
8y8atura.jpg

Third bed in but needs a bit of a fettle.
The spuds will go in soon....
emejygy4.jpg

The long piece is a bit like a dogs hind leg but as me Dad would say "your not making a billiard table"
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Nowt to report today as snowed off!!!
Hopefully some progress to report tomorrow depending how hard the frost is! Been pricing up wood today for another bed... been looking at wooden gravel boards which so far seem the cheapest way to go. Not as cheap ad I'd like mind.
d

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Get at least an inch thick tanalised Dave - it has to take wet and quite some side pressure as the soil builds up.

Have you thought of chatting up a scaffold company for discards? Used to be a good source but I hear too many people have cottoned on now :(

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok ta for that BR my cousin works for a scaffolders.....
Stuff coming up all over the place... onions
yvuvadeb.jpg

I'm hoping rhubarb but to be honest never grown it before...
9ubudyte.jpg

Bird box put up got another to go up but needs a bit of fettling.
7uba6u4u.jpg

Found in the garden.... needs a sharpen😳
y9y3y3ym.jpg

Probably the smokiest bonfire/signal fire ever!!
gavedume.jpg

Finally spuds in with fleece on top to try to warm the ground up.
a9avepeq.jpg

Forecast tomorrow 4" of snow!
D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE