Allan Blade Scandi PackPal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I received my Allan Blade Scandi PackPal last friday. This is mine after a bit of work.

abladespackpal9aa.jpg

I removed the blade coating on the Scandi bevel and slightly convexed the edge on micropapers and my strop. I have a bit of work yet to do on the convex edge, but I am close.

Overall Allan made quite the knife. This one has brown canvas micarta and mosaic pins, a kydex sheath with firesteel loop. I really like the way this one turned out.

According to Hoodoo I could have used acetone to remove the blade coating instead of grinding it off which was a bit of work.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Schwert,

Do you think you could remove the coating from just the bevel with acetone or would you have to take it all off?

It looks really smart now.

Bill

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Look's great Schwert,
Mine is natural micarta with mosaic pins and I asked Allan to leave mine without the blade coating and to make sure it has a square spine for the firesteel.
Im really looking forward to trying Allan's knives.

rb

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Right around 3" is about my blade length. I do not have it with me to measure today.

I will have to see about the acetone, but if it easily removes the coating, then I am sure I could have swabbed it off the grind and left the rest alone. Grinding it off on a stone was a bit of work and then I had to get the coating residue off my stones. I did not even think to try solvent removal first, I just merrily started grinding :shock:

I slipped a simple flat firesteel scraper under the firesteel kydex loop and that works a charm. I was going to remove the spine coating but at least for now I am going to use the scraper instead.

This is a very nice knife and worth far more than it cost me. I will get some use time with it in the next few weeks and probably post some more.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Schwert, do you mind me asking how long it took for Allan to make it? That is one fine looking knife - and I have a Scandi on order for some weeks now.

Thanks,

Bruce

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I ordered mine on the 2nd of September and he contacted me this week to arrange payment for completion next week.
He seems to be pretty busy but he always answered my emails and was very helpful and patient.

rb

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I ordered mine on September 1 2004 and it was ready to ship mid January. I received it Jan 28.

It also turns out that the gray "coating" is actually bead blasted steel. There is a clear coat over that, but what I was so carefully grinding away was steel, not the coating.

I quote Allan:

The Grey look is the Bead Blast not the coating, the coating over the bead blast is clear laquer. And it is easilly removed with acetone or finger nail polish rmover which is basically acetone with scent added.

The bead blast without the coating will work better with a firesteel , but you can also just remove it from the spine and leave the rest of the blade coated for corrosion resistance if wanted.

If you take the clear coat off completely down to the bare bead blast just make sure you oil it to keep it from rusting although with use it will develop a protectve patina naturally.

Also mine was done in O1. I have a larger flat ground PackPal also in O1.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Celtic Dragon said:
I'm about to order 2 standard Packpals, I hope they turn out as well. Just a quick 1, anyone know the steel type?

I've just ordered myself a packpal from Allan and here's what he says about the steel he uses and the time to make.

"the Scandi pack pal is made using my standard 01 tool steel"

"my delivery right now is about 10 to 12 weeks but i try for sooner if possible".

I don't think that's unreasonable for a handmade knife....I'd hate to think the maker was rushing my new knife!!!! Still, doesn't make the wait any easier! lol :eek:):

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
And well worth the wait too - I now have a Runt, Scandi and Bushcrafter and each is spot on.

They are so good my little mind doesnt know which it likes or wants to use the most!! :shock: :?:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I ordered my Packpal on 20th November and recently added a runt to it.
Allan assures me they are both in the batch he is currently making.
The wait is crucifying, but hopefully worth it and what a friendly and helpful guy he is.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Gary said:
And well worth the wait too - I now have a Runt, Scandi and Bushcrafter and each is spot on.

They are so good my little mind doesnt know which it likes or wants to use the most!! :shock: :?:

Gary,

Do you already know when you'll do / we can expect THE test between the AB knife (knives), Northstar, and a knife used by a certain famous person :wink: ? (And maybe for fun the good old Mora (780) aswell?)

I'm in the market for a AB Bushcrafter, and I'm really curious about the results ... I know they will be good, and maybe even outstanding - but just to be sure (and to justify the costs :wink: for myself: reverse psychology :eek:): ).

It might even end up in ordering a Scandi in the future too ... :shock: oh dear ... I just realise I'm becoming a knife nutt aswell :roll: :?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well i've given in...Emailed Allan asking for a Bushcrafter! :roll: I thought that by the time i wanted it i would have to wait 12 weeks, and i reckon that will be in about 12 weeks time :wink:

Cocobolo scales, scandi, no coating. And i've decided to stick with full tang as i don't want the extra thickness on the handle. And the coating Allan puts down the tang is sufficient for stopping rust...

:biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Johan I can give you the thumbs up or down wjhen I get back from Norway on the AB as for the test - hope to get the team of testees (near the knuckle that one) together one weekend end of Feb.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Rollnick said:
Well i've given in...Emailed Allan asking for a Bushcrafter! :roll: I thought that by the time i wanted it i would have to wait 12 weeks, and i reckon that will be in about 12 weeks time :wink:

Cocobolo scales, scandi, no coating. And i've decided to stick with full tang as i don't want the extra thickness on the handle. And the coating Allan puts down the tang is sufficient for stopping rust...

:biggthump

Jake

Try the coffin tang, go on. Once you do you won't regret it. I can see no advantage at all for the full tang other than it making the knife and handle easier to make. The potential problems of a full tang include rust, differential expansion, and a cold strip down the handle against your hand in cold weather so why this need for a full tang? If you are worried about strenght I will make you this offer. If you break a Allan Blade Bushcrafter because it has a coffin tang instead of a full tang I will personally buy you a full tang Bushcrafter to replace it.

Now before I get lynched I am not saying that full tang knifes are bad but I do think a well made coffin tang is better. The only slight advantage of a full tang is that if the scales break off (which is less likely in a coffin tang) it is easier to make a temporary handle in the field but I would argue with a coffin tang it is still pretty easy.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Gary said:
Johan I can give you the thumbs up or down wjhen I get back from Norway on the AB as for the test - hope to get the team of testees (near the knuckle that one) together one weekend end of Feb.

Great Gary!! :super: And when do you get back from Norway :hyper: ?
Looking forward to the test aswell - I think forum rules don’t allow us to place bets on the possible "winner"? :?:

Jake: I'm thinking of ordering one (bushcrafter) with a coffin tang, mosaic pins and cocobolo handle (I really LOVE the looks of cocobolo :naughty:) So, come on try something new, and order a coffin tang instead of a full tang. You can't go wrong with the offer MK made you :shock: :biggthump

Schwert: That knife is really looking sexy, I'm sure it'll serve you well mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE