Allan Blade Scandi PackPal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers John, it's really not a question of strength i promise...

The handle on Gary's was a wider due to the coffin tang, and the bushcrafters handle is a tad too big for me...So correct me if im wrong, it would be even bigger agian?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Rollnick said:
The handle on Gary's was a wider due to the coffin tang, and the bushcrafters handle is a tad too big for me...So correct me if im wrong, it would be even bigger agian?

Your wrong :) . As far as I can tell the handle on the coffin tang version will be the same size as the handle on your full tang version. There is no reason for it to be a different size. If your current full tang is comfortable in your hand the the coffin tang would be the same.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
But surely if the tang stays the same size, to make it coffin, the handle has to get bigger? And if not, then the tang gets smaller and compromises on strength? :?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ok, i'll email Allan! Forum bullying! :wink: :rolmao:

[edit] But what if i prefer the look of a full tang?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cool, well, [deep breath in] Magikelly i prefer full tangs!! [hides] :wink:

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Quick update: following my last post on this thread, Allan emailed me to say that he hadn't forgotten my order. Mine is in the batch of orders due to be made in 2 weeks.

I have changed the spec to a full tang as well - no particular reason, I just like it that way. That may take a little longer, but I don't mind the wait.

Thanks Allan! :super:

Best wishes

Bruce

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If you can break the tang on one of Allan's coffin tangs, you're a better man than me Gunga Din. I spoze a full tang will take more hammering on the butt. Otherwise, I can't see much other advantages.

Just got this in the mail from Allan. Unfortunately the photo does not show the wonderful stripe in the maple. It's a treat. The light maple handle and coffin tang give this blade a sweet forward balance. Of course, fit and finish are typical, i.e., excellent. Allan is a superb craftsman. Pricewise, he's flat out unbeatable.

packpalscandi1b.jpg

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nice one Hoodoo.... that's exactly what I've ordered and in the handle wood Allan has suggested (light Maple)....and the same sheath with firesteel holder....

TOP looking knife....I've still got about 11 weeks to wait but I'm so excited already! :eek:):

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice looking knife there Hoodoo. My maple bushcrafter is a treat too. At the moment im convexing it, i've got it down to a perfect convex edge, mirror finish but have realised the angle is too obtuse ie to shave you need an almost 90 degree angle to your skin!
So out come the waterstones once more!

I think i just prefer the full tangs, Allan coats the exposed tang to stop it rusting anyway so i don't really feel like i need a coffin tang. Just my thoughts!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You'll love it. I wasn't planning on using this knife in the field, just for carving at home. But the sheath is so nice and Allan threw in the firesteel holder for some stuff I sent him previously that I think I will have to give this a field trial. :)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Yes Jake a coffin tang is weaker but still beyond the efforts of a mere mortal so it is a moot point. Remember the test video of a stick tang knife!

There is nothing wrong with a full tang, well maybe some stuff but it is not a bad knife, however, I know you already have an extensive collection of full tang knifes so why not try a coffin tang. What have you got to lose?

Bruce, If Allan has started you knife then I would think a full tang will take longer as the blade started for you will not do now. Of course it means some lucky divel will get theirs a little earlier.

And before I am accused of not following my own advice I have said I am about to get two BushmanUk full tang knifes so I am trying both types.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
John, are you the person who won those knives at the BB auction? I believe I sent them out last Saturday. Let me know when you get them, eh?

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I ordered two (one bacote handle, one curly maple) at the end of january.

This thread has just made me more impatient. :roll:

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE