All the gear and no idea!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
dommyracer said:
Thanks Paul and Doc.

Hadn't realised the fire thing was such a big deal, impressions from previous discussions had on here were that a small, responsibly managed fire was okay....

It still can be okay to have a fire. On shingle/sandy soil at the edge of a loch, or on the foreshore for example. Or on suitable soil a safe distance from a forest edge. A firebox is useful but generally too heavy for backpacking.

I'm quite pleased the access code does not absolutely prohibit fires, but clearly it imposes a lot of restrictions.

Sadly it is common to find litter strewn fire sites - often against a partially burnt living tree. Many here have the skill to leave no trace of their fire, but equally important is the self discipline to choose not to have a fire when it is not appropriate. I wouldn't light a fire in Rothiemurchus.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
It still can be okay to have a fire. On shingle/sandy soil at the edge of a loch, or on the foreshore for example. Or on suitable soil a safe distance from a forest edge.

Aye, for sure, thats what I meant by 'responsibly managed'. I've got enough nouse to know what's what, but there's always people who don't I suppose.

Sadly it is common to find litter strewn fire sites - often against a partially burnt living tree.

Aye, there was one of these left at the xmas moot by some people who really should have known better.

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
Hi guys

I took some of your advice...some not(explain below) and the short time I had was great.

KIT currently (pretty sure will take)

Salomon boots (and socks obiviously!) - Not taken
Rucksack
US army bear suit
Poly underwear
Gloves (damn hot!)
Thinsulate beanie type hat....Not taken
US army crewmans hood....Not needed
Snugpak Antarctica....Not taken
Force Ten Alpine Bivy
Sog Seal pup knife.

Kit (unsure about taking - depending on weather)

Baffin boots (contour)...Nope
Dewliner

Kit I may need ( and help with here please)

Need outer shell so thinking of the US army ECWCS system or Swedish m90 .parka and trousers (with a poncho) if that's the case...Got ecwcs kit and a poncho
poncho or tarp
Axe(gerber pack axe?)
Saw (bahco laplander?)...Got on this site!
Trangia....mini trangia...LOVED it
Fire steel...Got
Frosts mora
Flask...Thanks Morrisson
Sunglasses, Goggles....took sunglasses

In addition I also took a thermarest (from this site), first aid kit, some other bits and bobs people mentioned and the most useless BOOTS ever...(well for me anyway). I'd hoped to go up in the mountains so bought a pair of Scarpa Vega boots. I often wondered why it takes climbers hours to go so little distance. Know I know why these things are heavy! It's like having housebricks on your feet or the mafioso famed concrete boots! I kid ye not :eek:

With no back up apart from a pair of CAT boots (casual wear only!) there was no way I was going into the mountains. I felt such a prat that after wearing these things for 500yds, sod it and wore the CATs. That limited me to basic hiking around the cairngorms only....

Tried out the Bahco one night to make a Bed in a forest as the ground was soaking..and its a great little tool. (dead and fallen wood only - raced through wet 10-20inch circumf. wood) The ECWCS trousers and Jacket that I bought are superb. Top quality, huge pockets(really huge), I would thoroughly recommend this if you can get away from the fact that its desert camo...(the jacket is ok, but with the trousers as well, you would look a bit of a numpty wearing this anywhere bar the great outdoors).

I managed to get away with not taking a sleeping bag, which was fine. I tried out the bivy bag, and again if its not in the mountains proper, I fear this is another bit of kit which probably wont be used again...

Ah well, lessons learnt, so I only stayed there a few days, and got some excellent experience in with the Poncho, trangia and thermarest...In fact I love the mini Trangia and thermarest!...

On a side note, if I ever do decide to take the plunge, lose all semblance of sanity and marry some unsuspecting millionairess, the the question has to be popped at Loch An Eilein..surely the nicest place in the world! (and better than the usual Maldives/Barbados haunts!) ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE