All natural Swiss army backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi guys,
usually I am not the kind of guy who likes to brag about his gear, but I'm so happy with this one, that I'll do it anyway...

It's a 1944 Swiss army backpack, made of horseskin/leather with leather straps and a wooden frame.
It needs some TLC, because it's quite old and has been stored for a long time. Despite it's age it has a comfortable fit, but I haven't tried it fully packed on a longer hike, yet.
But the best thing; it has no artificial materials in it!! Well, except for a few metal studs and fastenings...

Can anyone tell me how it was used and what some of the fastenings and straps are for?

naamloos6.jpg

naamloos5.jpg

naamloos4.jpg

naamloos2.jpg

naamloos3.jpg

naamloos1.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
eeewwwww!

haha just kidding, I think it's cool! what do you intend on doing with it?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks for the comments, guys.
I'm very pleased with this backpack.
Treated the leather with leather grease and it looks and works much better now. Less like cardboard, but it will need another coat or 2.
I will be using it on my dayhikes, untill I can get my hand on a couple of wool blankets for a bedroll. Fits perfectly in my views on using natural stuff instead of artficial materials.

I found it on a Dutch sellingsite (marktplaats.nl) and it came from a guy, whose Swiss mother brought it with her many years ago, when she moved to Holland.

This is how it was intended to be used;
84_soldat-mit-affe.jpg

And I want to something like this with it;
laufburschevs.jpg

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I was walking in Sweden a couple of years ago, when I met some German scouts in lederhosen and thes packs (the German variant). The girls had long woolen skirts and it was anachronistic to say the least.

The fur can be reconditioned with some lanolin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE