all leather simple boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi, I'm looking for all leather boots (been looking for many months now), around 15 cm high (6 inch) and with good space for the toes (big toe goes straight forward), quite broad (as I got a broad foot, many shoes are too narrow), strongly made (so it lasts a bit) but still lightweight, not a thick sole, no linings, no pads, no gtx. Anybody know where to get such a pair of boots (I need size 47 -i guess thats 11 in english- to complicate business)?

I saw a picture of an old type of Irish Setter boots a while ago here on bcuk, they looked the business.. But can't find such shoes anywhere.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not sure if this is exactly what you're after, but I'm currently wearing these Nature Sko boots. I also looked at some by Bison bushcraft when I was looking. I believe Leon has some of the Bisons, so might be worth a PM if he doesn't reply in this thread.

ganstey

Settler
I bought some boots from Bison Bushcraft a few months ago. I also have wide feet and find normal boots a bit restricted width-wise. Once the boots are on I find them very comfortable, and very warm. My only criticisms/comments would be that the opening could do with being a bit bigger as there's a narrow point that's tricky to get your foot through. This is made harder by the grippy nature of the leather, and forces your socks on, squashing your toes. But after a few minutes walking everything seems to settle down.Also the uppers seem a little thin. Yes they are very comfortable. Yes they are warm. But I'm not sure how hardwearing they'd be. That doesn't worry me too much as I'll only be using them for fair-weather use.

Just a few notes from my experience, but hope they help.
G

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Try the m90 boots, leather, no padding, no insulation. But a bit higher then 15 cms. They are really wide around the toes.

10067.jpg

Or you could try the m58 version.

The irish setter boots are from a brand called red wing. Not easy to get in europe, the few stores that does them usually don't care for the more outdoorsy models.

If you're alright with crepe-soles you could go for clarks chukkahs or any odd clark model.

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
Westley Richards http://www.westleyrichards.com/show/courteney_products.htmlimport some most excellent leather boots from the Courteney Boot Company http://www.courteneyboot.com/pioneer.htm in Bulaweyo (no personal links to either company). As long as you don't mind waiting a number of weeks, you can send drawn outlines of your feet to the obliging staff at Westley Richards and they will send them off to Courteney in Africa to get boots (various models available) made to fit you and you alone. Constructed of various game animal leathers, they are about £160 a pair for the Pioneer model boots, but I reckon that they are worth every penny, will last a raccoon's age and would fit your elephantine tootsies like the proverbial glove.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
You bought more Lundhag's my swedish brother! you have caught up with me now eh lol;) , for cost Rogues cant be beaten IMO coupled with a pair of seal skinz socks you have a cheap and mighty fine pair of foot wear, or if you want a pair of boots that will become your best mate go lundhag as me old bud Viking says ;) (err although they aint all leather lol)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
You bought more Lundhag's my swedish brother! you have caught up with me now eh lol;) , for cost Rogues cant be beaten IMO coupled with a pair of seal skinz socks you have a cheap and mighty fine pair of foot wear, or if you want a pair of boots that will become your best mate go lundhag as me old bud Viking says ;) (err although they aint all leather lol)

I needed a new pair and these will be great during the winter. Got a lot of new cool things to show you next time we meet mate =)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
After completely failing to find any Danners in Canada last week this post is very interesting for me!
Need to be leather and brown for me.....Danners in the UK?
D

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Silvermans or Rig equipment may be able to get them if you ask them. Danners have jumped in price over the last 12 months over here. And you keep your icicle to your self i know you and your swedish cool thing Skevenski lol ;)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Thanks for replies! Those m90 boots look quite good, you know where to get them at a good price?

Do you know the difference between the M90 boots and the HKP? : http://www.surplus.se/component/pag...acturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

I've been thinkering over lundhags as well since everybody here seems to think they are top quality and the best there is. The price tag mostly holds me away from them.. And I'll only be here in sweden for one winter (maybe just a few more.. I start to like swedish nature a lot!) so I don't really want to spend the money on it. And I like natural leather better. But I'm still thinkering.. I should really try them out, but there's no shop around who has them..

Those bison bushcraft "boots" look nice as well, though they don't look high enough, what height are they? Looks very much like a moccasin, looks great for good weather. I'd love to have a pair like those, just a bit higher I think.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I was thinking the exact same question. I like the look of the Nature co ones above.

One word of warning though, I'm size 47 too and that equates to UK 12. Bison's only go up to 11 (at least on their site)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Thanks for replies! Those m90 boots look quite good, you know where to get them at a good price?

Do you know the difference between the M90 boots and the HKP? : http://www.surplus.se/component/pag...acturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

The HKP is aimed at helicopter pilots, and mechanics. They are not good for longer treks.

The m90s go for 1200 SEK new, and usually around 350 SEK used, but it's almost only the winter version that is possible to find used these days. The new boots can be found here

If you feel a bit adventureous you could take a shot at the "gummikänga" (rubberboot). They were made by lundhags actually, and are basically the old version of todays scout model, they are a bit old so the soles aren't exactly vibram. But for 200 SEK they might be good. The brown version from billingedalen.se comes in size 47. Link here.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
big_swede, you're a really big help! thanks.

And guess what, I'm going to ask you another question! Yes I guess I feel a bit adventurous, so, do you know if these shoes are any good: http://www.billingedalen.se/artikel.asp?artnr=10072
Otherwhise I might have a try with those gummikänga.. It's just that I don't feel like buying expensive shoes like the m90 trough the net, without trying them. Though I guess they're a real good investment (lundhags look really good too of course).

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
To be honest I've never seen them before. I wouldn't use them for anything serious. I mean, there is a reason that hiking shoes don't have leather soles anymore. I agree that buying boots of the net is somewhat uncertain, but if they don't fit, 200 isn't so much.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Hi, I'm looking for all leather boots (been looking for many months now), around 15 cm high (6 inch) and with good space for the toes (big toe goes straight forward), quite broad (as I got a broad foot, many shoes are too narrow), strongly made (so it lasts a bit) but still lightweight, not a thick sole, no linings, no pads, no gtx. Anybody know where to get such a pair of boots (I need size 47 -i guess thats 11 in english- to complicate business)?

I saw a picture of an old type of Irish Setter boots a while ago here on bcuk, they looked the business.. But can't find such shoes anywhere.

I have a pair of the uplanders ( Irish Setter ) , they sound like what you want, they have a "Moccason" toe though that is very roomy, and they do sell them In wide sizes!
I use them mainly for hunting Grouse and Partridge, or light camping.
hope this helps.:)
Try this site:
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE