Alico telemark Boot Sizing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Quite fancy giving the telemark skiing thing a go.

Now I don't want to spend huge in case it's not for me.
So I've noticed that a local surplus store has a fair few nearly/new Alico ski march boots for not much money.

Problem is though, what size to get?

I'm an 8 in a scarpa, 8/8.5 in an Altberg.

Now given that I've heard the Alico's come up a bit small should I go with a 9.

Or should I get a 10 and adjust the internal volume using maybe sorbothane insoles and extra socks?

Chris

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
So a 9 it is.
I will try them on of course.
Just good to hear from someone who has used them.

Out of interest how do you rate them for comfort? both for normal walking and skiing.
I imagine they take an age to break in.

Chris

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have used the issued full leather ankle+ boots and the higher leather plastic articulated boot, but that's it both 3pin 75mm nordic norm toes, I prefer my issue ankle+ boots, I will dig out my original pair for and the brand new ones that need breaking in for a pic,

They take a couple of weeks to break in, though I'm gonna try some mink oil on the toe creases on the new ones, be prepared for stiff ankles and the tight boots rule still applies to theses. I found the free er movement of the shorter boot felt better for going uphill but they are in no way a piste boot,

Don't be tempted to tenderise the toe area with a hammer to soften it as it'll collapse the toe and you'll need the wiggle room, get couple of spare foot beds if you can though,

I found that carpet tiles placed under the original foot beds added some good insulation( not really needed though if your not going to sown long whiles stood still in snow)

they are fine to walk in once broken in though you still get a lifty stride due to the toe, gaiters to as the short hight means youll get snow up your trews in no time Yeties are the way ahead, there are better boots out there but the cost of Alicos makes them a great deal, though if you get them free:D

Last edited:

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Thanks, Pics would be good.

Sounds much like breaking in a pair of old school mountain boots (circa 1983).

You mentioned a Plastic boot.
Koflach/Lowa style?
Were these for skiing or Ice Climbing?

Sorry for all these questions.

Chris

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
These are the ones I like to use(Issued)

I tried these but they just didn't feel comfy and too restrictive,

not really done much ice climbing other than strapping crampons to the Alicos and scrambling up some water falls, getting up was more luck than any kind of judgement:rolleyes:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I normally take size 9 shoes and size 44 boots (or size 43 Lowa). I have a pair of size 10 Alicos and can't get my feet in them, even when wearing thin socks!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
comfy boots,

559473_10150925444389073_539479072_12104891_161843498_n.jpg

spanking new!

301846_10150925443394073_539479072_12104888_66593692_n.jpg

:cool:

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
STOOOOOP! Yup sorry my bad, mine are a UK size 13 but I still take a UK size 10 in normal boots:D sorry about that will alter original post,

Flippin' heck!

I had heard they were a bit small, but 3 sizes!?

So by that reckoning I'm looking size 11's

Thanks for the info. guy's

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE