Aldi Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Has anyone else noticed this -

sun_shelter_Wk2846.jpg

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6529.htm

My inital thought was cool - would be good if it was waterproof......... I wonder what it is made from and whether I could proof it myself

then I read further.........

Factor 25 sun protection
Taped seams
2000mm water column
Storage bag
Easy set-up
Size: 450 (L) × 450cm (W)

2000mm water column..... Hmmmmmmm thats a measure of its waterproofness isn't it?

is this good or is it telling us nothing?

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I guess it means it has a 2000 hydrostatic head, which is the height at which a coloumn of liquid gets to before it lets thru the material, i think bivi bags and gournd sheets are about 15,000, and most cheap argos tents are about 2000, which i think is okish, im no expert.

Does not say what weight it is in kg.

not bad for £20.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Someone posted this up on BB. I'll probably pick one up. 2000 isn't bad for a tarp.
the real bonus is the 4.5x4.5 stat.
That's a big tarp.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Sounds pretty good, if the water column is say a 2 metre long pipe and the material is secured over the end and the pipe filled with water and nothing leaks it probably is to all intents and purposes fairly waterproof, it would depend on the diameter of the pipe as to what actual pressure the water imparts to the weave.
The smaller the pipe the less likely it is to leak, so it may be just advertising BULL.
Without some one buying one and testing properly we'll never know.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I guess it means it has a 2000 hydrostatic head, which is the height at which a coloumn of liquid gets to before it lets thru the material, i think bivi bags and gournd sheets are about 15,000, and most cheap argos tents are about 2000, which i think is okish, im no expert.

Does not say what weight it is in kg.

not bad for £20.
HH 2000mm is standard for UK camping - will resist pretty much any rainfall the UK has to offer.

For mountain use it goes up to 3000-5000mm when the rain will be driven hard by wind etc.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Someone posted this up on BB. I'll probably pick one up. 2000 isn't bad for a tarp.
the real bonus is the 4.5x4.5 stat.
That's a big tarp.

thats exactly what i was thinking!

and a quick look at the argos site and 2000 seems pretty good....well they have some WAY lower than that! ;)

Sounds pretty good, if the water column is say a 2 metre long pipe and the material is secured over the end and the pipe filled with water and nothing leaks it probably is to all intents and purposes fairly waterproof, it would depend on the diameter of the pipe as to what actual pressure the water imparts to the weave.
The smaller the pipe the less likely it is to leak, so it may be just advertising BULL.
Without some one buying one and testing properly we'll never know.

Not sure that's quite right, IIRC it shouldn't make any difference on the diameter of the pipe as pressure is measured in weight per area (eg pounds per square inch / psi). The weight is a function of gravity on the volume of water, which is related to area & height but this is then cancelled as the pressure is calculated by dividing the weight by the area - hence the pressure is directly related to the height of the water column (otherwise known as the hydrostatic head when measuring the pressure of water required to overcome the waterproofness of a material).

However, whilst the above is true in theory, having just looked at Terra Nova's website it mentions that lower HH results are achieved from the British Standard test as it uses a larger surface area of fabric !!!

Just in case you were wondering, the Mountain Hardwear Trango tent has a flysheet with a hydrostatic head of 2000mm, whilst the Terra Nova Quasar tent has a flysheet with a hydrostatic head of 8000mm (both very expensive tents - as used on Everest).

Almost confused myself when reading that back through, I hope its of some use.

I got one of those tarps a couple of years back looks the same , I used it a lot it was great , it does tend to leak when you get pools gathering in an area on the tarp but you would get this on any tarp i suppose , the last time I used it was a middlewood not the last one but the one before when it was really rough and that saw it off the wind tore a big rip in it , but well worth the money , if you use at the bushmoot you might get the "have to have a green tarp" brigade laugh at you but hey who cares :D

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
This will be ideal for my "family field kitchen", when I go family camping we have to take everything and the kitchen sink :eek:

So I set up a tarp as a field kitchen area, this is bigger then the tarp I use and it won't quite break the bank:)

jeroboam

Jan 12, 2008
south wales
I've just posted the below on British Blades, thought I'd replicate it here for the benefit of you lot!
:)
Picked one of these up this morning, immediately got SWMBO out in the garden to have a play..........

Picture001.jpg

What's in the box:

A Carry Bag, containing;
Instruction booklet,
The Tarp,
Twelve Guylines with "three hole" tension adjusters,
Eight conventional "skewer" pegs,
Four "heavy duty" pegs,
Four 1.8m steel poles,
Four 0.4m pole extensions.
Four pole top caps
The poles and the pegs each come in their own bag.
Picture003.jpg

First pitch (poles at full length)
Picture004.jpg

The nylon tie points seem to be fixed quite well as do the eyelets for the poles.

It went up quite quickly, would have tried more configurations and taken more pics but the heavens opened.
I've left it outside in the rain for the last couple of hours, nothing coming through the seams as yet.

First impressions are that, at £20 it's an absolute bargain!
:)
J

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I got one of the tarps this week but in darker colours (does that make me part of the 'Have to have a green tarp' Brigade?).

I went to Aldi's to get a cast iron pan but noticed they were selling the tarps in two colour ranges.

The other colours are a green and brown, though still quite bright.

I am taking my daughter wild camping this weekend at Lupus's place and will try it out there and post up my thoughts on it next week. I intend to leave the poles at home and use dead wood instead for any uprights that are required.

If they are any good I will be getting a couple more for my SeaCadet training.

Cheers

George

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I saw someone using one of these at the moot last year, can't for the life in me remember who it was. Stephen (Guillane) was pitched up next to them. Any road up, i went directly to Alsi in Bridgend and bought on (they were £9.99 then) and, i've got to say, they are excellent pieces of kit. One word of warning though; the poles can bend a bit when it get's really windy, but that's to be expected. Highly recommended, even at £20.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We had one up at the Moot last year covering the door of the tent, it's a good bit of kit, for most uses you could dispense with the poles, I like the quick buckles that allow me to clip it on to my roof rack easily.

I'd not go for one as my main tarp but as something that can be used on occasion it's fine and it's waterproof enough, i've not had it leak at all.

I saw someone using one of these at the moot last year, can't for the life in me remember who it was. Stephen (Guillane) was pitched up next to them. Any road up, i went directly to Alsi in Bridgend and bought on (they were £9.99 then) and, i've got to say, they are excellent pieces of kit. One word of warning though; the poles can bend a bit when it get's really windy, but that's to be expected. Highly recommended, even at £20.

That was mine Jed , it wasn't used as a main tarp but just for sitting under with the fire right at the edge it as great, as I said above I have used it on a few meets now and had my moneys worth out of it ,,bargain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE