Aldi Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The 2000mm refers to the height of a column of water over I think a 1cm square piece of the fabric. 1500mm is the minimum to be called waterproof (if all seams are sealed). 3000mm is common for ground sheets and should be the minimum for tents. The higher the figure the longer it will last since UV degrades the fabric (nylon quicker than polyester). BTW Polyester is heavier but cheaper so this is likely to be polyester which is more resilient to UV degradation. Ground sheets are mor commonly 5000mm Hydrostatic head. As you'd expect the higher the figure the better the waterproof it is and the longer it will remain so (loses HH over time as the UV degrades and thins the fagbric). I have a single skin tent at 8000mm fly and 10000mm groundsheet (Vango Force 10 Vitesse). This is a very water proof tent just as with single skins the condensation is a problem.

This tarp is good value. The closest is the Robens tarp at £40 or £45 with poles and only 3.5m square. They also do 4.5m square one. Robens has a higher HH and is better made. I will get a 3.5m one soon and ditch the poles for lightweight camping.

Aldi and Lidl do some very good kit at ridiculously cheap prices. They had a £19 altimeter watch a few months ago that sold out in hours.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How do i set the laser printer to stun? - Andy2112

can use the reader from a cd drive to make a laser pointer capable of setting fire to stuff. Is that any use? It is on one of those sites offering hacks and stuff to make. Only need a radio shack or equivalent to get a few parts from.

BTW are these comments after peoples posts randomly generated or have they set up so they appear after their posts?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Tried the tarp out at the weekend and was quite impressed with it.

As it is so large you really do need to get the slope right to avoid pooling. In one corner there was about 3 inches of water and it did seep through but that was soon fixed.

I have the Decathalon tarps as well and the material seems similar in feel.

I left the poles at home and just used some suitably located trees and some poles cut to length.

I will though only be using it as a group tarp and try and get hold of some more Decathalon tarps to give out to the cadets as the Aldi tarp is I feel just too big for the kids to set up easily.

George

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'm still trying to get hold of one - wasn't able to get to the shop on the day they appeared :( Asked the other day and they'd sold out. Might try the Trowbridge store.

G

not sure if there wil be any left - think there was only one left when i went in last saturday.....

there is a store in melksham as well if that is any help!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
That was mine Jed , it wasn't used as a main tarp but just for sitting under with the fire right at the edge it as great, as I said above I have used it on a few meets now and had my moneys worth out of it ,,bargain

Course it was John, how could i have forgotten. Need a notepad and pen nowadays! Yeah, little fire and the old 'anti-mozzy' candles on poles around. Bargain and no mistake! Thanks for reminding me mate.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE