Aldi Ceramic knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was meaning to put this up a while ago and the Aldi Cap thread has reminded me :D

I bought 2 ceramic knives from Aldi a couple of week sago and they're great, one was £5.99 and a larger £9.99 Obviously i don't want to drop them on my tiled kitchen floor but for cutting they're up with the best in my draw, they're light and a pleasure to use :D

Just thought i'd mention it in case anyone saw them and wondered.

Jun 26, 2009
Bolsover
I know Aldi have good quality products, and Im not being funny about that either. But are the ceramic blades as good and durable as stainless steel ones. Not that they are going to be used for carving wood etc but would they stand up to the general use and abuse that kitchen knives get?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Tony,

Before I went into forestry I was a hairdresser :Wow: I know I know... But anyway there was a huge fad for ceramic scissors back in them there 80's, and yes you really did have to watch for dropping them on a hard surface. The main problem was though that although they had a beautiful long lasting edge, fibrous material did blunt it, and they were a complete nightmare to get sharpened properly. This was a long time ago and I know things may have moved on but I'd be wary of ceramic and serrated blades, as they have a lot of foibles. Though on the other hand at that price might be worth a play... just don't go battoning any logs with one.

TTFN
GB

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I managed to baton through a 3" piece of oak with one of those aldi ceramic knives.

Only joking, would be pretty cool if you could though :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'd not abuse it at all and i'm not kidding myself about it's ability to survive a good smack against something hard, I do treat it more gently and i only use it for cutting at which it's very good. I've never used a ceramic knife before and so this for me is an experiment that i'm enjoying. I don't think it will last like a SS kitchen knife, it's a different beast and I don't think i'll ever try to get it sharpened.

I do think that it's good for the dosh though and if you're interested in seeing how it's different i think it's a good price for a play ;D

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
One thing they're rubbish at cutting sponge cake. The blade just grabs the sponge cake and squishes it. oo erm did I say that out loud, ah yeah great for cutting veggies and raw meat though grrrr ;):D

true though rubbish with sponge cake...:(

Cheers,

Alan

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'll have to try that, I would have thought the blade would slide through as it's so hard and smooth....Right , where to get a sponge cake :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE