Alcoholic Winter Warmer recipes...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Mulled wine?
pi did have a recipes for a hot southern comfort drink but I can't remember it off hand. It was along the lines of hot apple juice with SoCo and a cinnamon stick. Probably not too shabby with some cranberry juice in there too.

Just do what we did last winter and have a pint ............ Of hot chocolate.

Andy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounded great until the last sentence:)

Try Bananas Foster then; it's flambeed in rum: www.brennansneworleans.com/t_bananasfoster.html

For something to drink rather than eat, try Hot Buttered Rum. Here's a recipe from Emerald Legassi:

[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • Pinch ground cloves
  • Pinch salt
  • Bottle dark rum
  • Boiling water
[h=2]Directions[/h] In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Whiskey mac.
Thumb of whiskey, thumb of green ginger wine. Warms you from the inside out.

Raisin brandy.
Fill a two thirds empty bottle of brandy with raisins until full. Shove in a cinnamon stick and a clove. Leave for a week. Strain and squeeze the juice out the raisins (these are now great with ice cream) what you have left tastes like Christmas pud. Om nom nom.

Harvestman special
Take some hot water. That's it.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Finnish winter soup:
Take one bowl, ad 1 litre of vodka and then ad two rasins.
If you don't like fruit, forget the rasins....

Norwegian "karsk": Put a penny in the bottom of a cup. Pour strong hot coffee in the cup til the penny dissapears. Then pour moonshine in the cup til the penny are visible again.
The moonshine have to be at least 94% alc....
In some parts of Norway they also ad some sugar, but I wouldn't recomend it...

When my grandfather had a cold he always drank this: 1 cup of hot water, 1 teaspoon honey, the juice from one half lemon and a good portion moonshine.

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Foodwise it's got to be steak and ale pie, a big Desperate Dan style pie made with a pint of Hobgoblin. Drinks wise port and brandy mixed in equal measures does the trick. It's also very good for settling an upset tummy and according to the missus it's good for period pains too. Can't drink whiskey anymore, think I overdid it with Jack Daniel in my younger days and now I just feel sick whenever I drink it :(

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Foodwise it's got to be steak and ale pie, a big Desperate Dan style pie made with a pint of Hobgoblin. Drinks wise port and brandy mixed in equal measures does the trick. It's also very good for settling an upset tummy and according to the missus it's good for period pains too. Can't drink whiskey anymore, think I overdid it with Jack Daniel in my younger days and now I just feel sick whenever I drink it :(

+1 = heaven.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire

Mmm pie. This was our desperate Dan pie.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92103

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Can't drink whiskey anymore, think I overdid it with Jack Daniel in my younger days and now I just feel sick whenever I drink it :(

Hmm

I did the same thing, took me 15 years to get over it [even just smelling whisky and I was yaking up everywhere], but now a nice malt is quite pleasurable. I think the mistake was drinking sh*! stuff to start with :)

My missus quite likes port and brandy.

Also start the christmas cake really early and feed with loads of brandy - [last year we managed to get around 2 litres into one cake :) also some of the ice cream didn't set properly becasue of high alcohol content - still tastey though]

If you can wait until spring then I'd recommend Beech Leaf Noyau. I tend to make Sloe Gin in the winter and Noyau in the Spring - exactly 6 months apart - so one dovetails with the other. Keep this recipe and use it in the spring

This is an old English take on those herb-infused continental concoctions – but every bit as good.

Young, fresh beech leaves – stripped from the twig/stem
700ml (bottle) Gin
400ml (approx) of beech leaves
225g of white sugar
200ml brandy
300ml water

Put beech leaves and gin in a jar and leave for 3-4 weeks – secure lid.

Strain off after 3-4 weeks

In pan boil the water and dissolve the sugar.

Let it cool.

Add the infused, strained gin and the brandy.

Bottle it (should make two bottles of the stuff)

Leave for as long as you can to let the spirits meld.

Forget the sambuca….bring out the noyau…

beechnoyeau.jpg

noyeau.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE