Airport customs.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
When I was training as a photographer, one of the other students was going to Paris for the weekend just before the finals, and thought this would be a great opportunity to add some pictures for his project. To save time he planned to develop the negatives back at his hotel room, using a changing bag and hand tank so all he had to do was print them on his return. When customs checked his luggage in addition to the usual stuff and the photographic gear, there were several clear polythene bags of fine white crystaline powder. (I kid you not, it never occured to him they would'nt just assume it was developer etc.).
I think his eyes still water at the sound of someone pulling on a latex glove.
:D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You wont catch me going on a plane.

Seriously, the only reason security can treat people this way is because people put up with it.

If people stopped using planes, you can be sure the rules would be relaxed.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Adamscott2 said:
Due to unforseen circumstances on my return trip from Kenya my main luggage bcmae my hand luggage because we were running for a plane, if this happens and they tell you to bring you main luggage onboard forget about it ask for the next plane due to reasons of sharp items.

Cheers
Scott

lol - my family had problems getting a plane out of Kenya, too. They wouldn't let us on the plane, and we had to stay an extra night in Nairobi. Shucks!
:D

r.e. taking stuff through customs, food items are also largely banned now (foot and mouth disease). They clean your boots for you in New Zealand. A honeymoon couple from Korea got charged $200 fine when customs found chestnuts in their luggage. A real shame, as it's their tradition for friends to hide chestnuts in the luggage, much as we might put confetti, it's a symbol of fertility.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Our probelm Cyclingrelf wasnt with kenya it was with heathrow in england that all the problems came up, it could of all been resolved with a bit of common sense but "rules are rules" eh?

Cheers
Scott

Surveyor

Sep 28, 2005
London
I work for the oil industry, and fly from here to there and everywhere.

Some companies will not allow you to fly by helicopter to their platfoms with any tools at all including SAK's, Gerbers, Leathermans, and the like. They provide all you need (so they say).

When flying by plane, I do pack my sharp tools in my hold luggage, it saves a lot of grief. I do however seem to always stopped by customs and security (just my luck, must be my face).
Best thing is to give them as little as possible to go on (common sense prevails), so you can go to where you wish to be. Also to be as helpful as possible so they are finished with you quickly.

I have found that the best thing is to be prepared to put up with whatever it takes, to get you to where you want, with what you want, safely.

Just my 0.02 worth.

Jed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE