Air rifles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure if its in the right section but didn't want to put it in brights, gadjets and toys section as I don't think air rifles are toys.

Anyway I have been wondering about air rifles and how to use them. What I mean is where do you use them? What do you use them for? What do you aim at? I don't have any land to shoot on of my own so just wondered what you do.

Also if I was to learn about it and find somewhere to shoot what would you recommend I get? I am thinking not too much money to spend as I guess I am not sure whether I will get too far into it.

Any advice?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I got a top of the range webley rifle. Spends most of its life gathering dust.

The idea is, find a very quiet spot to use it where no one will see you. Have a proffessional carrier case.

Spend a few nights at this spot before bringing your rifle.

I use plastic bottles to shoot at, or sometimes normal paper targets.

If i take my rifle to a camp, i usually end up shooting it 10 times then putting it down. Not sure why I invested in it really.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have a Weihrauch hw57 - a rather heavy but relatively compact .22 full power under lever air rifle. I think its magic! A nice quality scope on it (although it comes with iron sights that are fun for plinking), and it has no trouble with birds, rabbits, squirrels etc.

At times when in a suitable location- i.e. a friendly campsite, then with a few friends we do a bit of plinking (with wood chips variously ranged about the wood out to about 30/40m). I also occasionally head out to a nice little field surrounded by thick woodland where i know there are a few rabbits. Get there early morning, and there is no one about at all, or slightly more risky, late on a summers evening. When staying in rural holiday cottages/converted barns etc. with the family, it gets chucked in the boot of the car in case the opportunity presents itself (a wood pigeon taken through a partially wound down window in a car park this summer). I also take it on Scout Camps to provide a bit of variety to the scouts diet, and teach an important lesson too.

To be fair, it doesn't get a massive amount of regular use, but the rifle i have is of sufficient quality that it will last me for many years, and when i do use it, it gives me a lot of pleasure.

All i would say is that if you get a rifle, practice with it a lot first so you are sure of your abilities, and don't attempt to take game with it where you aren't largely confident you will get a clean kill. To do otherwise is rather cruel.

If you are sensibly minded, then you will join an organisation like BASC http://www.basc.org.uk/ and approach local land owners for permission to shoot vermin like rabbits/pigeons etc on their land. In an ideal world they should say yes (as you will be doing them a service). In reality many will say no (no doubt worried about liabilities, the idea of someone they don't know running around their farm with a blaster etc). But keep bashing away at it, and you will get a few locations. Its polite to offer them some of your catch, and come to some arrangement with them to notify them each time you propose to visit. Don't dress like you have just come back from a trip whacking Viet Cong in the Mekong Delta when you go and knock on doors asking for permission!

Although there is an argument for both calibres, as a generalisation, it is often accepted that .22 is the one you want for most small game- and would probably give you most flexibility at least. .177 for birds mainly and target shooting (due to a flatter trajectory). If you want something that will last you, will be accurate and reliable- go for a make like BSA, Weihrauch etc, and stay away from the cheaper rifles of Chinese origin. Otherwise you will quickly reach their limitations, and possibly just give up on the whole idea rather earlier than you would otherwise. The legal limit without holding a firearms certificate in the UK is 12 ft lbs. You will likely want to get a rifle on or close to this limit if you intend to shoot animals with it.

As is mentioned above, a good padded bag is a must- it will give you more confidence to chuck the rifle into the boot of a car on the off chance you might get to use it on whatever trip you are off on.

Hope this helps give you an idea, and maybe kindle a bit of interest.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
get down to your local gun club and have a plink.

if you have a garden then you will be able to do a fair bit of plinking there. - however if you intend on hunting then you need to put in a lot of practice. you should be aiming for headshots every time.

.22 is generally recommended as a hunting calibre. often by people who simply believe bigger is better. - however .177 offers a much flatter trajectory and higher fps.

people have their preferences and will usually give advice on that bias.

.22 is slower and has a more pronounced flight path. - as such your ranging needs to be more accurate.
.177 is faster- minor range miscalculations are not so much of a problem.

however .177 will pass right through rabbits at short range - .22 will not hence why many prefer it.

I have a .177 air rifle for hunting. - and I will say that I've never had a rabbit even flinch.

we have a fair few very experienced shots on this forum - as well as a few threads - so do a search and ask questions.

Andy

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
get down to your local gun club and have a plink.

Absolutely perfect advice. I'd be very surprised if you got anything but an 'open arms' reception (pun unintentional)!

however if you intend on hunting then you need to put in a lot of practice. you should be aiming for headshots every time.

I don't mean to sound picky here Mac... but could we change your wording to:

"...if you intend to go hunting you should be confident of achieving a headshot every time."

I realize this is what you meant but there's a little room to misread your sentence.

Just to agree as to calibre... .177, .20, .22 and .25 are all more than adequate for humane kills, provided the person pulling the trigger is appropriately skilled. Likewise, until that level of skill is attained, people should refrain from firing at live targets.

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE