Air Rifles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which kind of air rifle do you prefer?

• Spring-piston

Votes: 226 57.4%
  • PCP (pre-charged pneumatic)

Votes: 146 37.1%
  • CO2 (carbon dioxide)

Votes: 22 5.6%

• Total voters

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the Air Arms TX 200 with a Hawk Airmax SR12 scope, 6-18x44. Toatal overkill for bunny bashing but I mostly shoot targets anyway. I have a Simmons 8 point 3-9X50 on another rifle and cant fault it for the price.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
birch-fire said:
Thanks! I heard that the air arms pro sport was the best? I would like one that i wouldn't have to make alterations to. Also, is it best to get a 3-9x40 scope?
The TX200 is better,nicer to handle,nicer and better cocking mech.Maybe not as handsome a rifle to many but I reckon the TX to be the better allround rifle!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
CLEM said:
The TX200 is better,nicer to handle,nicer and better cocking mech.Maybe not as handsome a rifle to many but I reckon the TX to be the better allround rifle!

I'd have to agree with CLEM, TX's are great, biggest airgun mistake i ever made was parting with mine :rolleyes:

birch-fire

Forager
Mar 22, 2007
Sunderland
I've been googling air rifles and after reading many reviews of both the tx200 (mk111 + HC) and the prosport the overall opinion seems to be that the prosport is superior. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with both guns as i have got to say that i'm edging towards the prosport (although i do appreciate both of your opinions rapidboy and clem and why do you think the tx200 better?) (also, not gonna run at FAC levels, just 12 foot per pound)

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
I got a couple of air rifles now (all spring) my first was a weihrauch hw 80 and the most recent was the airarms TX 200 HC, i bought the hw 80 from a local gun shop 2nd hand for £120 came with 4x40 sights and bag and last year i purchased the TX 200 for £250 brand new and by far the hw 80 is a class above the TX, although it is abit heavier, the power and accuracy is great.

So a great beginner’s rifle at a pretty reasonable price would have to be a weihrauch, if you have a local gun shop near you, you might be lucky and they may sell second hand guns at a fraction of their market value with a few extras.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
birch-fire said:
I've been googling air rifles and after reading many reviews of both the tx200 (mk111 + HC) and the prosport the overall opinion seems to be that the prosport is superior. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with both guns as i have got to say that i'm edging towards the prosport (although i do appreciate both of your opinions rapidboy and clem and why do you think the tx200 better?) (also, not gonna run at FAC levels, just 12 foot per pound)
The TX200 is better,nicer to handle,nicer easier more comfy and better to cock,a little less weighty.Maybe not as handsome a rifle to many but I reckon the TX to be the better allround rifle and every bit as accurate as the Prosport too!Best spring rifle made at this time!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
birch-fire said:

Be careful what you read in online reviews, and don't even bother with any of the airgun comics (Airgun World or Airgunner :rolleyes: ) , best thing to do is try both and decide which works best for you.
Find your local FT / HFT club and go along for a chat, I'm sure you will get a few shots and plenty of advice, FT and HFT shooters are all pretty much the same and are glad to chat and give you a shot if you show an interest.
I am in the fortunate position that i can afford to shoot whatever i want and that my friend owns the best gun shop in the country so i get to handle just about every gun that i want to.
IMO the TX is a superior gun than the prosport.
It handles better and is more accurate.
Search around for an SR version of the TX and there is no way any other spring or gas ram gun can compete with it (which is why they banned them from spring class competitions),
I used to have an SR and used to beat top flight PCP FT guns in competition.
The standard TX is also a great gun, full power, accurate and most important well balanced, the prosport just doesn't handle as well for me.
Only real problem i have with spring guns is they will never be a quiet a a PCP for hunting and more PCP's offer multishot versions which again are nice (but not essential) for hunting.

birch-fire said:
Which is better, a tx200 MK111 or Hunter carbrine?

:rolleyes: which is better Red or Blue

The SR version has a moving action that removes the recoil from the stock try google

the qualities of the guns being discussed is higher than most people will be able to use or tell the difference its now personnel preferance etc What do you like what feels good etc etc

the prosport looks better the TX Hunter carbine is small compact etc the SR (if you can find one) is virtually recoiless, the std gun is just as acurate etc

again all have minor flaws and disadvantages :D

ATB Hard choice but as RB said get along to a FT/HFT club and have a go you may even find a great deal on a Gun

Duncan

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
The SR is Semi Recoilless.
Looks the same outside as a standard TX butthe action moves backwards on firing to eliminate felt recoil and the guns feels more like a PCP, you can watch the pellet in flight through your scope like with a PCP.
Closest thing to a pre charged rifle and no hassle with air bottles.

rapidboy said:
The SR is Semi Recoilless.
Looks the same outside as a standard TX butthe action moves backwards on firing to eliminate felt recoil and the guns feels more like a PCP, you can watch the pellet in flight through your scope like with a PCP.
Closest thing to a pre charged rifle and no hassle with air bottles.

just dont put your scope to far back or it will smack you in the eye if your leaning into it :D

Duncan

Gailainne

Life Member
I'm just getting into this sport, I checked out a local club in Dunfermline at the weekend and one chap was very kind enough to let me play with his toys, :D Daystate Huntsman and a Daystate CR94 which had been shortened, dont remember the expression "bull something" ? maybe, both .177.

The CR94 was amazing, to say the least, I bought a Gamo magmum 3000 (.22) here secondhand and fitted a 4x20 scope to it, it took me maybe 8 shots to hit a target at 30 yrds in quite gusty winds, (half scale animal silhouette with a self resetting target maybe 35mm dia), with the cr94 I shot 10 times and hit the target 10 times, amazing, apart from fairgrounds and the like I havent shot any kind of gun in anger.

I think I'm hooked and now have another very expensive hobby :(

Stephen

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Bullpup's

B&M did a lot of conversions.
Here are a couple of Daystates (not mine just some pics i found)

177376933.jpg

177376950.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What's your thoughts on a bullpupped r*fle RB? I am used to firing the A2 SA80 which is bullpupped, and quite like the short length, but obviously air r*fles could be a different matter and I've never had a go on one. I remember seeing bullpupped r*fles years ago when I had my Stutzens ( :AR15firin :1244: ), but I never saw one in the flesh. I like the top r*fle, I have this thing for thumbhole stocks! :D

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I like the look of thumbhole stocks but i shoot better thumb up so i only have 1 thumbhole and it's cut so you shoot in 3 positions, i don't think i have ever fired it any other way than thumb to the side , thumb through just feels wrong to me :rolleyes: .
417_1708_1.jpg
417_1709_1.jpg

416_1700_1.jpg
416_1694_1.jpg

417_1705_1.jpg
416_1692_1.jpg

416_1698_1.jpg
416_1697_1.jpg

I have to say i love the bullpup concept but i always find the airguns feel a little unbalanced to me but gun balance it's a very personal thing and what feels right to me may completely wrong to you.

Very handy for hunting but i was never sold on the B&M scope mount.
I like my barrels to free float and i am really fussy about eye / scope alignment and they feel a little uncomfortable to me but again it's a case of if it works for you go for it and as you are used to the bullpup design it may translate well for you.

Some of the B&M conversions look great but others have some strange loading procedures and flip open cheek piece held on with piano hinge and magnetic catches :yuck:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE