Air rifle newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just bought the eldest , or rather myself since he is 16, a springer air rifle and a few tins of pellets. Ill be making a pellet catcher to use in front of a back stop and herself had several pairs of safety glasses she bought on spec.

i'll be getting some cleaning pellets and paper targets as well as a gun slip to store it in, locked away in a drawer, but am a bit confused about lubricants. I've just read some nasty things about silica based ones and the adverse effects of some gun oils on the seals. What should I get for us to use?

Also can anyone reomend a beginners book on air rifle target shooting as that's were we will be starting off with? Later we may move into hunting but not until we have developed the basic skills and probably got a more suitable gun.

its a HW99S in .177 by the by.

thanks!

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, in a fit of enthusiasm herself ordered a gunslip, the cleaning pellets and 200 targets along with a 3mm cone shaped pellet catcher/ target holder.

Shes also secured the use of a excellent shooting spot, secluded, private land, fenced in and with a huge bank with trees on as a back stop.

the oly ting that not sorted is some pellet lubricant, easy to get, and some oil as mentioned in my first post. I alo rather fancy a pellet pen, I know you can make them but I fancy a certain sort which don't cost much.

ATB

Tom

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Lubricate pellets?...you can if you want but don't panic over it

For the gun. Moly grease for the big bits, 3 in 1 oil for the little bits. Don't put anything down the transfer port

Les herridge did some good books years ago, still good info though

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Some silica oils gum up they aren't ideal, they have their uses but I don't tend to use them. As for lubrication I use moly grease and have since I started shooting. Bearing in mind I got my first airgun when I was 7 (i know slightly dodgy of my dad but hey go) a tub will last you years. Just don't lubricate in the piston modern springers have PTFE piston seals and that's the stuff on non stick pans, so is self lubricating / does not require lubrication.
Pellet lube isn't a bad idea, Napier make a good one, I forget the name but it's pink I can't reccomend it enough. Cleaning pellets, I'm of the school of thought that lead projectiles will fill microscopic imperfections in the barrels rifling after the rifle has bedded in, unlike powder burners when you get copper and nitro fouling. I don't use them, either for plinking, hunting or when I shot competatively (admittedly didn't do air rifle competatively for long was more into full bore) it's more important to use good quality pellets, pellpax I believe still do a tester pack so you can find out what kind of pellets the gun shoots well with. For example my R10 loves H&N pellets but my S410 hates them.
You've made a very good choice for first rifles, had one a while ago no problems with them at all. Practice plenty and it'll serve him well. I still use springers over PCPs now and again for hunting and can still knock bunnies over on piece with a. Mk1 meteor. And if he wants to learn to shoot well, leave the scope off until he can group consistently and well with irons. Then scope it. Its a case of being able to shoot with both or with 1

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folk, that's just the job, Moly grease it is . I'll look for the Herridge books. The local shop will sell the grease and the Napier pellet lube.

As to pellets I got him a tin of JSB Match Diablo Exact, a tin of RWS Superfield Field Line and the shop keep gave us a tin of RWS Hobby sport line gratis. He said it may take 100 to 200 pellets to shoot the thing in. Not quite sure what that means but the implication was the groups may be a bit wide until then. How we'll tell as learners I'm not sure!

i dug out a roll of 1.5 x 1.5" flannelette I picked up ( issue for 5.56mm ? ) and I saw a neat little video on making a pull through using fly line, which I think we have some of.

The guns handbook mentions using air defenders! Is that right or corporate @rse covering? We have dug out some Bolle safety glasses we bought on spec years ago. One of the lads does have some issue range ear defenders but....

With you on iron sights, he has been given a unused but old and cheap telescopic ( I assume it was cheap, it's not a brand I've heard of "Gunmark Apollo** 4 x 20") but that stays off. We are going to start off at 10m on big coloured targets although there's space for 30m eventually. At scouts I think it's all 10m with iron sights.

ATB

Tom

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah, a new gun will usually take a good few shots to "bed in" just think of it like running in a new engine, everything takes a while to settle in

Don't worry overmuch about barrel cleaning. Just get some pellets through it :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cheers folk, that's just the job, Moly grease it is . I'll look for the Herridge books. The local shop will sell the grease and the Napier pellet lube.

As to pellets I got him a tin of JSB Match Diablo Exact, a tin of RWS Superfield Field Line and the shop keep gave us a tin of RWS Hobby sport line gratis. He said it may take 100 to 200 pellets to shoot the thing in. Not quite sure what that means but the implication was the groups may be a bit wide until then. How we'll tell as learners I'm not sure!

i dug out a roll of 1.5 x 1.5" flannelette I picked up ( issue for 5.56mm ? ) and I saw a neat little video on making a pull through using fly line, which I think we have some of.

The guns handbook mentions using air defenders! Is that right or corporate @rse covering? We have dug out some Bolle safety glasses we bought on spec years ago. One of the lads does have some issue range ear defenders but....

With you on iron sights, he has been given a unused but old and cheap telescopic ( I assume it was cheap, it's not a brand I've heard of "Gunmark Apollo** 4 x 20") but that stays off. We are going to start off at 10m on big coloured targets although there's space for 30m eventually. At scouts I think it's all 10m with iron sights.

ATB

Tom

But a tin of the cheapest pellets you can get and sit and empty the tin into tin cans etc you'll find it'll be bedded in properly after about 1000 in my experience. Breathing and trigger release are the things to concentrate on especially with low velocities.
5.56 cleaning roll will be a snug fit down a .177 barrel (hands up anyone that's had to bash out an obstruction with welding rods!)
Eat defenders are totally unnessecary for air guns, even for some subsonic powder burners imo. You don't get the crack of the projectile breaking the sound barrier they're fairly quiet. As for safety specs, I would probably invest in a sandbag or wooden taget back so you don't get lead fragments flying around (in all honesty, they don't come backwards anyway) as safety glasses will effect certain shooting positions and just put me off personally.
I have a gunmark kestrel 20 bore, never herd of them making optics though just shotguns.
I would suggest having several tagets at varying distances, teaches you to holdover without knowing you're learning about it! If you want to make things interesting have a look at firebird reactive targets, be warned, they're as loud as a shotgun report, but undeniably fun!

Ps. Apollo optics where distributed by gunmark in the 90s. The ** is a reference to their own rating. They're apparently comparable to the same era same price range nikko sterling range. 5* Apollo where apparently really good and a little ahead of their time (nitrogen filled and etched glass reticle) so I imagine the 2* should have been a half decent scope too. When it's time for an upgrade no need to go crazy on price either js ramsbottom are a good supplier of entry to mid level optics I use them if I'm looking for a scope

Last edited:

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I use super fields by rws, great all rounder and never needed any lube, I found a good afternoons plinking and zeroing got the new barrel leaded and shooting well, sticking with one pellet helps the gun stay on zero, I normally stuff an Argos book in the back of the pellet catcher, helps dull the noise and stops bouncing, also about the best use for Argos book too, :)

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I did think the ear defenders bit was barmy, I have a little trouble with air guns needing silencers but assume its a hunting thing? Even when I was young and stupid(er) and we were dieseling a knackered old BSA they were never that loud.

The cleaning bit is partly so he learns to look after a gun.

Interesting about the sight, it's better than I hoped. Cheers!

All good stuff, what little I learned as a kid I've forgotten and was probably wrong in the first place!

The sticking to one make/type of pellet makes sense, we'll try a few types and see what works best and stick with it.

The rest of what we have ordered is supposed to come on Thursday or Friday so we will probably start at the weekend.

Thanks again!

Tom

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cheers! I did think the ear defenders bit was barmy, I have a little trouble with air guns needing silencers but assume its a hunting thing? Even when I was young and stupid(er) and we were dieseling a knackered old BSA they were never that loud.

The cleaning bit is partly so he learns to look after a gun.

Interesting about the sight, it's better than I hoped. Cheers!

All good stuff, what little I learned as a kid I've forgotten and was probably wrong in the first place!

The sticking to one make/type of pellet makes sense, we'll try a few types and see what works best and stick with it.

The rest of what we have ordered is supposed to come on Thursday or Friday so we will probably start at the weekend.

Thanks again!

Tom

Airgun silencers are partly for hunting yes, PCP air guns do have a noticable sharp crack and actually are fairly loud without a can. They also act like a muzzle brake by changing the airflow behind the pellet supposedly improving accuracy. Not that it would make a real world difference at air rifle ranges and velocities.
The fundaments of marksmanship are ubiquitous across all kinds of rifle shooting be it 10m air guns or 1000+yd centerfire. Take a look at the fundamentals and it'll teach you quite a bit

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

The targets and commendably heavy pellet catcher arrived from Target Air just now, which is extremely good service as we only ordered them yesterday pretty late in the afternoon!

ATB

Tom

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hw99s are a little harsh in .177, due to their light weight... they will be harder to shoot accurately than the .22 would have been. Also, the .177 don't run anywhere near full power, 8 or 9 ft/lbs tops, where as the .22 runs and shoots very nicely at around 11 ft/lbs. So that will limit its hunting potential.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Personally I wouldn't use cleaning pellets in a spring airgun, they don't offer enough resistance to prevent the piston smashing into the end of the cylinder. Nor would I lube pellets for a springer.
Have a look over on airgun bbs, but beware, these things are addictive!
Also be aware that you are obliged to arrange "secure storage" for rifle and pellets if you have anybody under 18 years old in your house. The BASC website has good information on this.

Enjoy your shooting.

Dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I'd have had .22 myself but as it will used at Scout ranges so we were stuck with .177 as its policy. :(

i've been told to back the cleaning pellets with a normal one which should solve the resistance problem. I'll make a pull through to use as well as I'm loath to put one of my armourers rods down it, even if I find I have one thin enough! I think the smallest is for some whacked out sub calibre training device.

i've already got some secure storage, luckily . When I sold a Hotchkiss Portative a few years back I went mad and had some furniture made and one piece has a huge lockable drawer along the bottom, about 4 foot six long. It's been very handy to have for awkward sized stuff like a M2 tripod I had until last month. If we get any others we'll Invest in a proper cabinet. I'll have a poke about the BASC website , thanks!

It happens I have the perfect wooden bottomed tool bag for the catcher to fit into. I need to find a suitable flat tin for the cards so they don't get damaged, something i remember from my youth pinning dog eared target card to whatever with pegs cut with a penknife ) ill have to go though the stockpile. Herself mentioned big enough to take a stake and a mallet. I may go all AR and put a couple of grommets on a bit of white tape to peg through ( now i have a million of the things cos they were 10p a packet) and dig out a spare 10m tape. It's less effort than cutting a bit of rope or my awful distance judging.

is it worth taking some binos for spotting? Never mind I'll suck it and see.

ATB

Tom

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You very rarely need to clean the barrel, the barrel "needs" lead in it. You will find that accuracy is better if just left alone for 3000 shots or so, then just give it a pull through... but you will need to put another 50 pellets or so through before accuracy goes back to how it should be. Those cleaning pellets are not very good, and if you use them regularly, you may find accuracy is never as good as it could be.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, thanks for that, leaving it alone is what I'm good at!

This is precisely why I started this thread.

I still need to get the Moly and a good reference book/ guide.

ATB

Tom

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
A bag of skittles make good inexpensive biodegrable targets too. As ott and American as it may sound check out some sniping manuals, the skills are transferable. Just ignore parts about recoil it's an airgun not a 300win mag but commonly encountered mistakes are adressed, elbows slipping giving you certain grouping patterns etc

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
On the HW rifles I've found it's worth spending a bit of time experimenting with the trigger adjustment to get it just to your liking. The HW trigger is one of the best you'll find on any rifle.

Dave

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
On the HW rifles I've found it's worth spending a bit of time experimenting with the trigger adjustment to get it just to your liking. The HW trigger is one of the best you'll find on any rifle.

Dave

+1 to that the rekord trigger on the s models is still widely regarded as one of the best mechanical trigger groups ever made

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE