Affordable knife advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
i admit I know nothing about knives. Never had a good one, just the kind in Swiss army knives and various knives for gutting fish. I can see that being in the bush, it's be really handy to have a good knife.
Can someone point me in the direction of a good starter knife, affordable and reliable.
I did a search, but put "knives" in to the search bar and there's just too much information.
Thanks

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Standard Frosts of Mora Clipper model. There is a good reason all bushcraft schools issue them for students to learn with. :)

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
I'm no expert , just about competent . But for a cheap good starter knife you can't go far wrong with a Mora ,
There's a sale on here

Someone better qualified will be able to advise you as to which one I'm sure .

Cheers , Trev .
no affiliation with WSH noticed the sale in another thread .

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
For a starter knife you can't go wrong with the Mora range, cheap as chips and a terrific working tool. The sheath is practical but not very pleasing to the eye so many get one from some of the talented makers on this forum. When you've got the experience and know exactly what you want from your knife then again there are some fantastically talented guys here who could make one to order for you. I have a small knecker which I got from Leonidas and can heartily recommend him but there many others who are excellent makers. As for the sheaths just have a trawl through the maker's market part of the site to see what is on offer and the quality of these guys, second to none in my book. Lakeland Bushcraft has several models on offer and Mark has fantastic reputation here posting as Lurch. Why not ping him a PM or take a browse round his website, well worth it believe me.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Mora Clipper will get my vote. I have a lot of knives but the Clipper's one of my main users. Nice and simple, easy to use and cheap to replace.

+1 for Workshop Heaven (I got some spares from there).

Claudiasboris

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Standard Frosts of Mora Clipper model. There is a good reason all bushcraft schools issue them for students to learn with. :)
i must admit that i like my customs, and my spyderco bushcrafter, but time and time again, i go back to my mora's

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Def' a Mora.

As has been said it's a knife most folk have as well as custom jobs.

I've got 5 or 6 of them dotted about between sacs,shed and car.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As has already been hammered home; Mora.;)

The Miki is a good, inexpensive starter, followed by the Clippers and if you want a more solid and serious tool, the Mora Bushcraft Forest or "2010" are absolutely excellent, indeed; far better than I expected.:eek:

I have to say however, that the sheaths on most of the Mora's are shockingly insecure. They do a reasonable job of protecting you from the blade and the blade from impact damage but they don't hold the knife inside them, anywhere near tight enough for my liking.

It's far too easy for the knives to fall out of the sheaths with a knock or if the sheath is dropped for example.

The exception's to this unfortunate tendency, are the bushcraft range which actually have a much better retention set up than the Miki's, Clippers and 740's. Still not secure enough for my liking but much improved on the others.

cheers

R.B.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
defo get a mora clippa but as RB said the sjeaths are a bit poo.... Black Sheep does custom sheaths he made mine for me with very specific details of what i wanted and it was awesome. it was agood price for what i wanted too......

regards...

chris..........................................................

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Agreed, has to be a Mora. I have a couple of clippers and love em along with a mora 510 but my current favouite is the the mora allround. I like the fact that the blade is a touch thicker, the spine better finished and the grind a bit deeper. All for 11 quid delivered from Heinnies.

Atb, Jon.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i got a few moras the old frost mora carbon being my favorite ,imo, anouther good knife i have is a cudeman ,,153L,, with olive wood handle and leather sheath i think its a good looking knife for the money . knifeman.co.uk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE