Advise please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
A little while back i did a course with RM, anyhow during that I enquired about joining him on his Canada trip, he asked if i had any experience Canoeing ,so the answer was no not so much.
He said I would need to do a course (which they used to do ) to get qualified.!!
rather than knocking out a grand i guess any ideas.
So my question is what kind of course do i need to do , I live in Kent so anywhere I should contact.??
many thanks in advance...

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Join a local canoe club and get your two star at least and some experience on decent moving water. Maybe a bit late in the year as the waters cold, come spring though the clubs start their canoe training and maybe you will even get the bug!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The course he is probably alluding to is the 'Canoeing the Ardeche' course. I've done that, it was a lot of fun. However the grading you'd have at the end would be a 'three star' you can pick that up at most open canoe centres for less.

The Canadian canoeing trip is something Ray has been planning since the early 2000's, he talked to me about some of the stuff they hoped to include back then, if all that is included it will be a wild trip, an experience of a lifetime.

I would imagine they'd want you to have completed either their 'Fundamental' course or a similar course from another bushcraft school.

So, drop them a line ask if having a three star open canoeing certificate and having completed a suitable bushcraft course will be enough.

If you go, post up a report here.

:)

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A little while back i did a course with RM, anyhow during that I enquired about joining him on his Canada trip, he asked if i had any experience Canoeing ,so the answer was no not so much.
He said I would need to do a course (which they used to do ) to get qualified.!!
rather than knocking out a grand i guess any ideas.
So my question is what kind of course do i need to do , I live in Kent so anywhere I should contact.??
many thanks in advance...

Not much help with your course, but I notice you're in Kent. 50% of the Kent group that meet up in Fordwich each month are kayakers/canoeists. Might be able to help with getting time/experience on the water.

J

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Kent Canoes do courses on the Medway. They are based in Wrotham.

I will prob be at the Kent meet to if you want to talk boats.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Do you have to go with Woodlore? Frontier Bushcraft offer similar experiences here and in Canada including a training course with Ray Goodwin. I'm sure Paul Kirtley would give you a direct answer about their expedition requirements and it would probably be cheaper too. Might be worth a look: http://frontierbushcraft.com/expeditions/

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
yeah, song of the paddle is great...

it might be worth contacting Wayne from on here as well, he does regular canoe expeds etc and he's very accommodating and fairly close to where you are, he's in the dealer section here where you could drop him a line or PM him...

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
Do you have to go with Woodlore? Frontier Bushcraft offer similar experiences here and in Canada including a training course with Ray Goodwin. I'm sure Paul Kirtley would give you a direct answer about their expedition requirements and it would probably be cheaper too. Might be worth a look: http://frontierbushcraft.com/expeditions/

Thank you all for your kind advise. To be clear I want first to learn how to do it correct also as age is catching up fast , not too sure an expedition is the correct word. :)

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
We are having meet on the Medway if you would like to come along. Its listed in the meets section
on Song of the paddle. You are welcome to come for the weekend or a day or just for a brew.

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
We are having meet on the Medway if you would like to come along. Its listed in the meets section
on Song of the paddle. You are welcome to come for the weekend or a day or just for a brew.

that is very kind, i may try to come along but I am shooting on Sat , but will see. anyhow thanks again.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some good advice so far. Have you thought of finding a local canoe club?
Though most centre on white water or sea stuff there's usually a few souls into Canadians and it's a cheaper way to learn and also try out different craft.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE