Advices for living in a Lavvu for a year.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
Hello, I’m thinking of living in a lavvu for a year. I’m living in Sweden and I’m studying second year at Älvdalens naturbruksgymnasium Naturguidning -Vildmarks turism, eng. translation, Älvdalens high school/college(I’m 17 ,what is the proper word for the school?) Nature-Tours Wilderness tourism.
I’m currently living in a dormitory and I it’s not as close to nature as want (plus it’s not quiet at night). When I’m living in the lavvu I can use the showers and washer machine at the school. I want to know if you think it’s a stupid idée or a great one but give me a reason for your choice, tips and advices would be good to.
Sorry for the rough English.
Henrik Forsberg

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
sounds like a good idea to me!:)
in the winter you would need a woodstove so that meens harvesting firewood which could take up a lot of your time.

pete

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
The reason I want to live in a lavvu is because I can have a fire/ woodstove inside it, sorry for not pointing that out :p. In my school we use firewood for educational purposes, so we have a large number of that stored at the school and my teacher have agreed to let me take as much as I need :)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
sounds like you've got it sorted! i can't see any reason why it wouldn't work out.
in the uk i would get all sorts of abuse and convictions of being a tramp for living in a tent but i guess in sweden things are a little different:)

pete

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Everyone has a cool uncle who had a missing finger tip and exotic weapons on his living room walls. The cool uncle had done weird adventurous stuff in his younger days. If you live in the lavvuu for a year you will be taking the first small step on the path that will lead to you becoming the cool uncle.

Do it!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sum it up... a noisy dorm with not much privacy against your own space, peace & quite and free firewood as well....I know which I'd choose :)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
the only downer i guess could be security for valuables? unless you have a lock up close by ? other than that its the stuff half of us dream of doing

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Everyone has a cool uncle who had a missing finger tip and exotic weapons on his living room walls. The cool uncle had done weird adventurous stuff in his younger days. If you live in the lavvuu for a year you will be taking the first small step on the path that will lead to you becoming the cool uncle.

I want to be that uncle! Anyone know where the nearest French Foreign Legion recruiting office is?

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Sounds a fantastic opportunity to really understand what is involved in living in the wild. Nothing trains you better than real life experiences. If you are looking to follow a career in wilderness tours, having spent a year living outside will give you the advantage. I guess you will still have the chance to use the dorms if things get too rough.

I can't really offer much advice as I've never been as brave as you to try it. But I would think about my priorities. Warmth, comfort, companionship, the ability to study effectively. Think about siting your Lavvu somewhere that will suit all the weather conditions. Best of luck, keep us updated, it would be a fantastic blog to follow.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
if you did this in our country you would have an eveiction notice on it within 28 days! do it henrik, what a talking point it would be on you resume when you apply for jobs after finish uni/college. the silence in the evening and the birds when you wake. i wish i was a nomad!... i need to make friends with Wayland

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I'd encourage you to go for it too. If you have land-owners' permission, someone as your 'champion' to provide some support then that is great. This time in your life is right for taking the opportunity to do something which you will be able to look back on in later years as something that has been a part of forging you as a person.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Kör på Henrik! Har du en kåta eller ska du köpa? Jag kan rekommendera Bison, hyffsad kvalité för en billig penning. Venor gör ju också riktigt bra grejer men till ett lite dyrare pris, nästan alla kåtor jag sett i lappland och norska finnmarken har varit venor. Men jag misstänker att det kommer bli skitkallt på vintern, älvdalen är ju ett riktigt köldhål vad jag hört. Se till att hitta en bra vedspis, du borde kunna hitta en riktig på blocket. De som är avsedda för ett mer mobilt liv, typ tältspisar, är ju gjorda av plåt och håller inte värmen lika bra som de av gjutjärn och jag misstänker att du kommer vara ganska stationär? De äldre gjutjärnskaminerna har ju ofta vattenvärmare vilket jag skulle tro är rätt praktiskt i en kåta. Hör med Raskesven på utsidan, han är ju grymt erfaren när det gäller kåtor.

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden

Do it!
To be the cool uncle is something I think everyone should aim for or try to be in their lives!

Sounds a fantastic opportunity to really understand what is involved in living in the wild. Nothing trains you better than real life experiences. If you are looking to follow a career in wilderness tours, having spent a year living outside will give you the advantage. I guess you will still have the chance to use the dorms if things get too rough.

I can't really offer much advice as I've never been as brave as you to try it. But I would think about my priorities. Warmth, comfort, companionship, the ability to study effectively. Think about siting your Lavvu somewhere that will suit all the weather conditions. Best of luck, keep us updated, it would be a fantastic blog to follow.

the only downer i guess could be security for valuables? unless you have a lock up close by ? other than that its the stuff half of us dream of doing

If it gets to rough I can always live with some of my friends who has apartments in the town nearby and if it’s to cold (-20°c) I have made a promise to my mom to live with my friends. And I’m also going to store all my valuable stuff at a friends apartment. For the stuff in the lavvu I will make/ buy some boxes where I can lock up my stuff.

Kör på Henrik! Har du en kåta eller ska du köpa? Jag kan rekommendera Bison, hyffsad kvalité för en billig penning. Venor gör ju också riktigt bra grejer men till ett lite dyrare pris, nästan alla kåtor jag sett i lappland och norska finnmarken har varit venor. Men jag misstänker att det kommer bli skitkallt på vintern, älvdalen är ju ett riktigt köldhål vad jag hört. Se till att hitta en bra vedspis, du borde kunna hitta en riktig på blocket. De som är avsedda för ett mer mobilt liv, typ tältspisar, är ju gjorda av plåt och håller inte värmen lika bra som de av gjutjärn och jag misstänker att du kommer vara ganska stationär? De äldre gjutjärnskaminerna har ju ofta vattenvärmare vilket jag skulle tro är rätt praktiskt i en kåta. Hör med Raskesven på utsidan, han är ju grymt erfaren när det gäller kåtor.

For you who doesn’t understand Swedish, he was asking if I owned a lavvu or not and gave me also some advises for what lavvu and woodstove to buy.
I don’t own a lavvu but I found one at Blocket (a Swedish site similar to eBay) for 9000kr (about 809 pounds) with floor and woodstove, in a town 40km from here and posted yesterday! The cost for a new lavvu in the same size is about 7000-8000kr, a woodstove 3500kr and a floor 1500kr, altogether it will cost around 12000kr! I will gain 3000 (about 270pounds) on that buy! That’s something that made my day

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE