Advice re Kenya

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Looking for advice on safari holidays in Kenya.

What are the alternatives?
Are the day trips out of Mombasa any good,is Mombasa any good for a holiday with swmbo and maybe one of my daughters (teenager)?

Thanks,

Tom.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
My honeymoon was in a hotel 30 minutes drive North of Mombasa on the coast of the Indian Ocean at Bamburi Beach. It was amazing.

I reckon if you use a hotel as a base for you and the family you'll have no problems. You can get good quality trips to Tsavo East Safari Park from the guys on the beach. Our trip was superb, it lasted for 2 days and we saw - antelope, elephants, leopards, buffalo, lions, gazelle, etc etc. Longer trips and sea trips are also readily available.

the food was good, the hospitality was great, the weather amazing - I can't recommend it highly enough. :D:)

Lesser known tip for avioding the runs in Kenya - don't drink anything from a coconut shell especially if its free.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I've been there. Glad I went but you need to be prepared to return home with a weight on your shoulders. I went when I was about 4 or 5 years ago and it absolutely revolutionized how I feel about charity, medicine and involving your self in other peoples business. A very profound experience.

Do your research about the tourism side of Kenya and how it effects the country, not just financially but environmentally, socially. It's a complete mess that country and you need to do what you can to ensure you're doing right by it - if you're not prepared to do that, don't go.

I think you should though, take your daughter, I was 16 (I think) when I went - and it changed my life. Maybe it will do the same for her.

I always said I would never go back. Now I'm not so sure.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'd definitely go back. Remeber if you spend any money there it will help local economies, especially if you buy trips, souveniers etc from outside the westernised companies.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Got rid of this. It was a bit off topic and tbh, the whole subject of Africa is a subject that is best avoided by me.

Last edited:

leon-1

It's a shame that Mombasa's on the East coast, otherwise I would have suggested visiting the Fish Eagle Inn on the shores of Lake Naivasha, from there you could visit all sorts of places (Mt Longonot, Hell's Gate National Park with the devils spire and Elsamere Conservation Centre amongst others).

Have a good trip anyway.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Mombasa is a wonderful place. I spent months around that area recording Black Mamba populations back in the Nineties. I really have to go back soon.

female11.jpg

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Blair Drummond Safari Park?

Plus it has a "huuuuuuge" slide, well it was when I was a bairn. :D

Hope this helps,

Liam

As much as a chocolate teapot in a Turkish sauna Liam:lmao:

But I'm barred from there anyway...Mum in law wanted a cheap safari once too...Staff didn't think see things my way when I left her in the lion enclosure with a tent and kettle...:dunno:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've been to the Taita Hills which is just inland from Mombassa, and stayed in this lodge which was pretty amazing...

http://www.sarovahotels.com/saltlick/index.php

I hasten to add it was through work so I wasn't paying, and it was about 20 years ago, but doesn't looked to have changed much. Hopefully there's still plenty of game in the area.

Very nice :)

Jonathan,
Sounds like a fascinating study.
Cracking photo too.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
As much as a chocolate teapot in a Turkish sauna Liam:lmao:

But I'm barred from there anyway...Mum in law wanted a cheap safari once too...Staff didn't think see things my way when I left her in the lion enclosure with a tent and kettle...:dunno:

Les Dawson would have bought you a pint for that!!! :D

Class!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE