Advice please poncho or gortex jacket ?.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Today I got soaked now I'm aching.i always wear base layer with long neck ,x pair socks,water proof trousers but my weakness is my jacket.
I love my German flecktarn with teddy bear liner that I sourced in cold dry it's so comfy warm fits really well.but it's not waterproof dispite my efforts with silicon treatments which helped but today let me down.
What would you guys in the know buy ,a ripstop poncho to go on when ever rain is imminent?. A flecktarn gortex over jacket but then IDE have to wear it all the time as it's too big to carry around ..I guess I could go for a new lined gortex other jacket but that kind of leaves my f t redundant .

I just can't afford to get soaked again like this I have a degenerating back condition and spongylitis how ever it's spelt and I just go solid around my thematic with mad pain too.which effects use of my arms .
Which way should I go.
Again cost I need to bear in mind. Thanks .much appreciate your thoughts comments best advice .

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
If you like your jacket, just get a good poncho.
I do feel with your medical conditions, now is not the time for being sentimental. Get yourself a good Gortex jacket mate.
Hope your feeling a bit warmer .

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
The Flecktarn Goretex is actually quite light and folds small into it's hood. Your parker with liner, with the Goretex would actually be a versatile set up as you could wear the jacket over the parka with/without liner depending on conditions. I haven't actually seen the teddy bear liner yet but I'd guess it's the bulkiest/heaviest part of the set up so maybe an alternative liner would lighten the load and or pack size.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Poncho's are a bit of a strange one. Loads of bushcrafters have them but few seem to use them and if they do it is as a tarp. They can be a bit of a menace in high wind and a devil to put on properly in driving rain and windy weather. They do allow the body to breath though and you don't tend to get sweaty wearing one. I now use an RAF Gortex jacket. It is very well made and comes with a removable liner. You can get them unused for around £35.00 I am sure that if they were not RAF blue loads more people would be wearing them.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a ponch over a Ventile smock if it is really pouring down.
I dislike Goretex as I tend to overheat in it and get sweaty....

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
The Flecktarn Goretex is actually quite light and folds small into it's hood. Your parker with liner, with the Goretex would actually be a versatile set up as you could wear the jacket over the parka with/without liner depending on conditions. I haven't actually seen the teddy bear liner yet but I'd guess it's the bulkiest/heaviest part of the set up so maybe an alternative liner would lighten the load and or pack size.

Thank you gents,I do prefer dpm ,I have been looking at the danish camo as it has good reports on effectiveness but unless from USA I cannot find in gortex material and poly cotton won't be waterproof..
I didn't realise the gortex flecktarn would go so small still an option.
As for my teddy bear liner this was from old school type green German Parker circa late 70s,I remembered these as a kid I believe it may have had a thick plastic type material sewn In to the cotton poly inner of jackets hitch helped keep us dry but I could be mistaken it was only from memory years ago.the teddy bear liner was secured inside by button system .we were sent them from German cousins great coats so managed to source one this year much better than the modern liner.
Any ideas on particulate jackets to look at if I don't go flecktarn gortex.
I'm guessing from what's said poncho may be out due to wind.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Gore-Tex is breathable until you move beyond bimbling pace. Any stressed walking or climbing or actual working and it does not feel much different to a non breathable coat.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
IMHO don't bother with the poncho. They are best for making shelters but if you want to be dry when it's hosing done get a good jacket, even if it's just heavy duty PVC.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
IMHO don't bother with the poncho. They are best for making shelters but if you want to be dry when it's hosing done get a good jacket, even if it's just heavy duty PVC.

I agree with bullterrier's post above, especially the heavy duty PVC jacket tip.

Gortex is quite sweaty when exercising but it does eventually dry out unless frozen over. Ventile, is better IMO but, more expensive heavier when wet and takes longer to dry. PVC oil skins take a bit of getting used to but they are 100% waterproof, even though I sweat in mine when I walking provided I'm not wearing cotton, wearing wicking layers combined synthetics and wool, I can do a full day without getting wet from my own sweat, even then I don't get cold, warm and damp is much better than cold and wet.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
A lot to think about,can you get the danish m84 flecktarn in waterproof material besides from arkis in USA.
I had spent 45.00 in waterproofing items not least dry cleaning bills prior to treating where needid..
Ventile sounds great ,saw a few jackets dpm but not cheap.
You guys know your stuff ,think it's only now I'm getting older I take more notice what exactly I'm wearing for what and where..
Hard wearing ,camo,not ott price wise waterproof warm and available in size.kind of looks like forces gear is solid and usually cheaper .thoughts ?

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
I'm a Paramo convert. IMHO it far outperforms goretex and works really well as a layering system for different conditions. I rarely wear anything else now, in town or country.

It come in olives, browns and greens and is hardwearing but it is expensive. You see used items on eBay now and then, and Paramo has an eBay outlet shop for cosmetic seconds, refurbed returns and pre-production samples.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Back on the PVC thing you can get a heavy duty Helly Hansen coat for around fifty quid, which would be pretty heavy duty and would cope with any UK weather. Similar Hellys are the default favourite for many Alaskan guides. If you got caught out overnight in some crappy weather you'd possibly regret a poncho as a primary outer layer - but fine in addition to a decent waterproof. Goretex is good but not compulsory.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Back on the PVC thing you can get a heavy duty Helly Hansen coat for around fifty quid, which would be pretty heavy duty and would cope with any UK weather. Similar Hellys are the default favourite for many Alaskan guides. If you got caught out overnight in some crappy weather you'd possibly regret a poncho as a primary outer layer - but fine in addition to a decent waterproof. Goretex is good but not compulsory.

The HH highliner (in green) is around £60 (including vat) these days but still the absolute in teuchter chic ;)

Here's a picture, although they can be picked up for a little less than the price shown here;

http://www.shearwell.co.uk/p/76/helly-hansen-highliner-jacket?oo=312

Worth adding that, for me at least, I find this type of garment works better in a size bigger than normal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE