Advice on taking pictures of difficult object!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, you have a macro setting and a timed shutter release so I'd say get a cheapo tripod (you can pick them up for a few quid, you don't need anything special for taking a few pictures indoors) bang the camera on macro setting and get it where you want, stick the timer on and let it off. The timer will eliminate any shake as you press the shutter release.

Light boxes are favourites, a simple box can be made with the box your paper comes in. Just line it with paper and you are away. You can out lamps over the top if needs be, you would need to diffuse the light though. Keep trying and you will find the best way to shoot your knives, or send one to me and I'll have a go! It may be a crap effort but a chance to see that knife in the flesh would be well worth it! :D

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
For what it's worth, a bean bag can help with positioning the camera when you don't have a tripod.
Well done with your shots - they're definitely improving a lot as you go along!

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The camera is just a small point and shoot job which I've had for 5 or 6 years if not longer! This one I quite possibly need to upgrade :rolleyes: and practice some more.

I agree with Spamel, for small pics used on the web or brochure, this is camera looks OK, Now that you have put some time in learning how it works, getting a tripod and continuing to work on the lighting would be more productive.

A tripod will make a big difference. Not least that it keeps the camera in the same position. This means that as you make subtle adjustments to the lighting/knife position the angle and position of the camera stays constant, making it easier to make predictable adjustments.

One advantage of a newer camera would be a larger viewing screen, which would probably make life a bit easier.

Graham

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Had a wee play in Adobe Lightroom

10dvcwm.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Interesting change! Am I right in thinking you added the highlights? Looks sharper too. Better than the original.

Look at this pic, another knife with bone handle.
DSCN5996_Steve_A_knife.jpg

with a link to a large version

You can see all the details, the "grain" of the bone, even the finger print on the blade!, it's sharp , bright... that's what I'd like to aim for. Nice knife too!

But how do you think this picture was achieved?

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Not to be outdone by Maddave :)

DSCN1255GMSMod.jpg

This is about 5 seconds work in Bibble

I just tweaked the white balance, used the "auto" function and turned the contrast up a bit. I hope it shows how close you are to getting something that looks really good.

Graham

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Interesting change! Am I right in thinking you added the highlights? Looks sharper too. Better than the original.

Look at this pic, another knife with bone handle.
DSCN5996_Steve_A_knife.jpg

with a link to a large version

You can see all the details, the "grain" of the bone, even the finger print on the blade!, it's sharp , bright... that's what I'd like to aim for. Nice knife too!

But how do you think this picture was achieved?

Yup..... Now if you look closely the light is coming from top right, indicated by the shadow of the knife and the reflections on the metal. daylight will be best but to softed it make a small frame from wood, a coathanger or a bit of hosepipe and sellotape and cover it in white tissue/tracing paper, this will soften and diffuse the light bringing out the detail in the subject, a cheap softbox if you like. The good thing with digital is you can try and try again till ya nail it !!!

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
This is a really interesting exercise for me. I haven't considered before what a good picture is or what makes a good picture that will help sell something!...

Grasshopper - you've passed the first obstacle on the path to true enlightenment. Sorry - couldn't resist it. 8]
But there is truth in it, as so far, it's all been about lighting, position, contrast, tones, textures and reflections.

Muncus

I have been trying to take some pics of a knife with bone handle I just fnished. I can't get better than a rather washed out blob of white! I have a small digital camera but can't afford better at the moment, so what could I do to improve the quality of the pics without having to spend a fortune?

I tried inside, and outside, in the shade of a tree but it's no better. (unless it's my monitor?) Is the background colour wrong? :confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks in advance :)

Without reading the other posts - so apologies if I am repeating what has already been said. It seem that your camera is exposing for the dark brown leather, thus the bone handle is over exposed. If you set up the shot again and expose for the bone you should get a better result, and then alter the brightness/contrast/colour for the leather bag.

To expose for the bone make sure the meter (usually the little square in the centre of the viewfinder) is pointing at the handle, press the shutter button halfway, now keeping the shutter button pressed halfway recompose your shot.

I hope that makes sense and your quick start guide will tell you how to alter metering modes - you want to set it to centre.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE