Advice on sturdy-totally-waterproof rain jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
If you want heavy and tough.... Mackintosh - mother of all raincoats.
1353038286_waterproof_raincoat_3.jpg

--
Gadget.

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Jaeger, thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Still, I just can't shake this feeling there must be something better out there than a waxed jacket. Are we sure this is the strongest material available, it doesn't look at all to me.
Of course I have no experience with it, but I had the idea there must be something better or with lower maintanance.

I really don't care at all about breathability nor weight, I just want the best that is out there, in the World, a product I can buy a rely on it for as long as possible.
When I'm in the bush, I stay under the cabin most days, so is not like I'm hiking every single day under rainy weather.

But whenever I do need to use my rain jacket, I don't want to be watching out for trees and branches not to screw up my garment.

Are then wax jackets the best suggestion for what I'm looking for?

Waxed cotton jackets are about the toughest waterproofs I've ever used. If you're that worried about damaging them and you don't care about breatheability then get a cheap cotton jacket to go on over the top of it. It'll protect the layer under from all but the worst scrapes.

Tonyuk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
how about offshore waterproofs? I've got a jacket and trouser set which is going strong for a number of years, but then I'm *fairly careful with it as it is [I think] quite expensive.

*dog walking and light gardening... yes gardening in the rain :) when it's got to be done it's got to be done!

VikingGirl

Mar 23, 2016
Gent
Double layer ventile is probably the money no object option. Or a touring motorbike jacket in 1000D cordura

Hey sunndog, does the motorbike jacket have a hood?

Do you have a specific link to the ventile double layer, I'm finding a lot of them and can't decide which one's better..

VikingGirl

Mar 23, 2016
Gent
how about offshore waterproofs? I've got a jacket and trouser set which is going strong for a number of years, but then I'm *fairly careful with it as it is [I think] quite expensive.

*dog walking and light gardening... yes gardening in the rain :) when it's got to be done it's got to be done!

Hey Mousey, I was thinking the same, an offshore waterproof I used once was like wearing a tarp, extremely uncomfortable, but great durability I guess since it was made pretty much of plastic..
Again. I'm not sure about long term on those jackets. I have no real clue.
When I asked Musto's customer service for a recommendation, I was hoping they would suggest an offshore one, but they recommended this:

https://www.musto.com/keepers-br2-jacket.html;dark-moss

Kind of a waxed jacket but made of polyester.. What do you think?

rancid badger

You want a Barbour waxed jacket.
They lose the water proofness on the shoulder seams quite quickly ( anyway, mine does) but that is easily fixed with an easy application of the appropriate wax.

They last forever too, so it is a good investment.

I've had my Barbour Bedale for over 30 years and its had some serious use and abuse. It's not very insulating but you just need a wooly jumper under it and you're set. It's never ever let water in and condensation has never really seemed to be an issue. It's been re-waxed (from a tin, with a cloth-see the youtube video on the barbour site) a couple of times so it no longer has that "dewey" look but it's easily the best and longest lived piece of clothing I've ever bought.
http://www.barbour.com/uk/all-collections/mens/waxed-jackets/barbour-classic-bedale-wax-jacket/p/MWX0010OL7146?gclid=CJX19az6vs0CFY8y0wodWToG1g
£229 from Barbour but a simple google search throws up plenty of cheaper offers.

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Vote here for Paramo!

J
Where did it say "recommend a jacket that I can make waterproof after purchase and necessitating further expenditure in the form of wash-in chemical technology?"

Hell, they can't even be bothered to supply said garments with more than a sniff of the Barmaid's apron worth of the stuff!

K

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hey sunndog, does the motorbike jacket have a hood?

Do you have a specific link to the ventile double layer, I'm finding a lot of them and can't decide which one's better..

I'v seen the odd bike jacket with a hood and removable armour, that suggestion was a bit tongue in cheek though

Hilltrek make good ventile or snowsled, Kammo make some supposedly very good clothing too

Thing is though imo the super expensive stuff is just too good for heavy work, if you are trashing normal jackets how much longer would a £300 jacket last you?
As someone who works outside every day my most worn gear is my cheapest stuff that is tough enough to last a little while but cheap enough to replace often
And i just put up with things not being 100% waterproof or not breathable.....thats just me though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE