Advice on patches please

Morning All
As a full member i have recently recieved a BCUK patch very nice i likes it a lot
i was thinking of putting it on my shiney predator pack and was wondering how people have fixed the patch onto thier packs?
my sewing skills are erm shall we say somewhat lacking and i think i have seen someone say they glued thiers on? is it a special glue or just whatever sticky stuff was available?
i am hoping to have it done by tomorrow so i can fly the colours of BCUK at woodlores fundamental course next week
Thanks in advance
Sam

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've used Copydex in the past for putting patches on rucksacks and jackets. Really good stuff. You just need to apply it to both patch and where the patch is going. Don't coat the patch with too thick a covering as it soaks through to the other side if you do, and don't try to glue it on with the Copydex still wet as you'll get the same result. Pay particular attention to getting it on the edges and the same on where the edges wil be on the bit your sticking it too. Wait for both surfaces to dry and stick together. Job done. It will survive washing machine cycles and allsorts.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
sew it on Sam - if you select a thread the same colour as the badge edge the stitching more or less disappears;)

I sew badges on with a kind of running stitch - think of winding a cord around the edge of a ring and treating the edge of the badge like the ring sew in a similar manner.

Is easy to remove if you want / sew it on wonky and have to start again.....

I also stick the badge on temporally with tape straight over the top to keep it in position untill it is started.

Anyways you will have to learn to sew badges on soon..... you'll have at least 3 to sew on a shirt ;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
The other option is to smile sweetly at Lisa and bribe her with chocolate - works (sometimes) for me :D

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
I swear by "Wonder Web", its a plasticy stuff you put under the badge, iron the badge through a damp tea towel and it sticks wonderfully.

I do all my scout leader uniform badges this way and then sew around it for permanency, the sticky stuff ensures it stays inthe right place whilst I fudge the sewing bit.....

should be easy to remove as well but I tend to use it only for permanent badges rather than "wear it for 6 months after an event" badges

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I use this.....

22052010396.jpg

From sewing and craft shops and occasionally from WH Smith.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ah - that is the other ploy Sam - I have heard it works with ironing and the like as well........
whistlev.gif

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Velcro, great stuff, Hooks on the badge, fibre on the jacket.

When the clothing item needs washing then the badge can be taken off, or when the badge is on a jacket and the jacket comes off it can be transfered to the jumper underneath or the shirt beneath that when the jumper comes off.

Just make sure you have enough of the fibre part to go on each item.

A lot of military pilots have such badges on their fly suits.

Wings

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE