Best repair option on paramo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Managed to snag my paramo. Two thorns opened a small hole but its bit slightly bigger as I forgot about it. Was thinking of a dab of superglue to stop it fraying and opening up then leave it as it's so small. Will that work or do I have to hack at it with my hopeless sewing abilities?

It will get worse if I do nothing. Glue is easy if it works and won't cause more damage. Best would be small patch with that mythical invisible patch technique known only to sewing wizards and witches but not us mere mortals. BTW my mum kept my school trousers going longer than they should have by using the invisible patch. Amazing to see a holey knee of my trousers come back like new the next day. Back then you couldn't order a replacement as quickly at today so it was a repair even if you can't see it!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Don't use super glue. Tends to make fabric stiff.

You could send it to Paramo, they do repairs. Given how expensive these garments are these days, I would seriously consider this!
or
They might be persuaded to send you a square of patch material, but if your sewing is that bad, maybe not. Some years ago I managed to get 2'x2' of standard weight outer which was used to introduce diamond gussets under the arms of a windproof smock. I asked for one or two square feet, and got 2 foot square.

Could probably do a functional but far from invisible job with sail repair ripstop tape.

There are glues that are meant for fabrics, all of which will be better than using super glue!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I recently used a hemline iron on repair patch on a jacket (not paramo) that worked brilliantly. If it's possible to get to the back of the hole it might be an option but probably worth checking that it can be ironed on to the polyester shell of a paramo.
Amazing jackets and I love mine...just hope I don't snag it in something!!

Sent from Somerset using magic

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
STOP!!

Definitely send it to paramo!!! They are very well renowned for doing fantastic repairs and at a very good rate. I highly recommend sending it to them, I’ve had several friends who over the years have said their customer service is exemplary.

Reactions: Norfolk_wanderer

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If you can't / don't want to sew it yourself, just send it in to them for repair. Or perhaps there's a local seamstress you can ask? The various tape options usually don't hold up in the long run. For something that you can get years and years worth of use out of, it's worth having it done properly.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Are iron on patches any good assi can get it in a reasonable colour match and material? If only need a cm diameter to cover the edges.

I'd see it but I really don't know the stitch type that would guarantee the tear won't spread. Plus it's on top of the shoulder under rucksack strap used for commute. Not sure it'll be felt if I scrunch up the loose outer fabric to sew it up.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Take a needle and thread to it yourself or get someone else who is handy at sewing. You could patch it with pretty much anything that will take the nikwax and then reproof it. The beauty of Paramo fabric is it’s not a membrane and is ideal for self repair.
I’d only send back for a zip repair.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Are iron on patches any good assi can get it in a reasonable colour match and material? If only need a cm diameter to cover the edges.

I'd see it but I really don't know the stitch type that would guarantee the tear won't spread. Plus it's on top of the shoulder under rucksack strap used for commute. Not sure it'll be felt if I scrunch up the loose outer fabric to sew it up.
Iron in patches have worked for me. Bit like I said above, just check they're ok for synthetic materials.

Sent from Somerset using magic

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE