Advice on dog whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've never used a whistle with any dogs before and although i've been looking on the net, i'd like any members thoughts on the acme 210.5 and 211.5.
I have a choc lab pup and have been using a horn whistle but it's not comfy in the mouth.

Thanks,
Tom

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Pealess 210.5 for me too. 211 is just a bit too high pitched.

For my setters its 2 pips to turn, 8 or 9 quick pips for recall, one long blast for stop.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
What they said........ just get one with a ridge on the top so you can hold it in your teeth when you're working your dogs. Surprising how you miss that!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never used any of those TBH. Everybody I knew with bird dogs (including me) always used an ordinary coach's whistle/police whistle like this:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
When I was growing up the most common brand and model was made in England; the Acme Thunderer:

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=acme+whistle+thunderer

Funnily I've rarely seen those used in the UK. Partly tradition but also whistles with "peas" in them or made of metal were a bit of a liability in the freezing weather. So horn pea less whistles tended to reign and anything shooting in the UK tends to get mired in tradition - though generally in a good way especially from a safety point of view.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
SWMBO uses the Thunderer when working her GWP, but I only use one to keep contact with a dog in the fog or at extreme range.

Horn whistles are fine but the pitch/tone is unique to that whistle so may confuse a dog if you need to buy a new one.

My acme's have some pretty deep teeth marks (mine) in them from training young dogs!!

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
Never used any of those TBH. Everybody I knew with bird dogs (including me) always used an ordinary coach's whistle/police whistle like this:

at one of the shoots i go to one person use's one of these whistles and when she blows it i think someone has been fouled or being sent off :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE