Advice on Climbing Ben Nevis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
I would like to thank everyone for their words of advice, I have been talking with my mates about our trip to BN. We have already started some training, but have also decided that we will make a decision on the route when we get there. If conditions are bad we will take the pony track. We still want to do the CMD as the whole point of going is that it will be a challenge! Having said that we have familys at home and we dont want to take any risks. Cramp ons and ice axes are out of the question as my budget will not run to it at this point (Divorce would insue). :nutkick: We will be taking the kit recomeded by some of you and the chances are the pony track will be the best bet. Thanks once again.
:You_Rock_

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It looks stunning up there, "If this is not an option take the tourist path." i like the sound of this any links/info as i may plan a trip my self :)

Sorry if im hijacking your thread :eek:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Hi Stan,
At present I do not have much experience of Bushcraft but I was a member of the Scottish Mountain Rescue Service for thirteen years and I would agree with many of the sentiments expressed by other contributors and I would add that
you should not consider this venture without having both ice axes and crampons
with you and have had some instruction in their use before you go. If you go unprepared in any way and do have an accident which may be fairly simple like
a sprained ankle you willrequire to be rescued. Then you will be crucified in the press.You can expect to be many hours hanging around in arctic conditions waiting on a rescue team. Many of the Rescues up here involve people from
southof the border who having travelled long distances to get here, are not
prepared to turn back when things get dodgy. Do come, do take care, and
do enjoy yourselves. Beg Borrow or Steal equipment if you have to. I have been on the Ben in April when we had to be roped together and could only see the person on either side of you intermittently and that was on the tourist route.
which is no Pony Track.
Cheers and aw' the best for your trip.
Stuart S

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I don't know who this Ben Nevis fellow is, but you might want to start by getting his permission before climbing up on him; perhaps soften him up with a few drinks and perhaps a romantic movie. Are you sure he swings your way? Sometimes embarrassing situations come about when we find the, err, orientation of our target isn't what we thought...

Yes, I know it's a mountain, but that's what went through my head when I saw the topic heading. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE