Advice on Climbing Ben Nevis

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
I know this isn't really bushcraft related, but i am hoping someone will be able to help with some advice on what to carry up Ben Nevis. I have booked a trip in to Scotland for the middle of April, my friends and I are all capable but have never attempted a mountain. We are planning to climb the carn mor dearg to assend onto BN. What I would like to know is what kit anyone could recomend. I have the basics covered like waterproof's, Boots, Food and Stove just in case. Should I be taking my sleeping bag and bivi bag in case we can't get off the mountain or will a good emergency foil blanket do instead. I have a gps map and compass and i know how to use them, all will be in the bag in case something happens to the gps. I have also read that walking poles are best left at home for the CMD as they can hinder as some scrabling is on route.
If anyone has any has done this route before i would be greatfull for any words of wisdom.
Cheers Stan

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
I have never climbed a mountain before, although my mates and I are all very good at navigation and expericnced hill walkers. I have been thinking of getting an emergency shelter. Cotswold outdoor do one for £35. Not a lot of money if it saves your life.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Well at least your nav skills are there.

You should be carrying a full set of spare clothes, Waterproofs. Jacket and bottoms. Water. plus food and emergency rations. First aid kit and the skills to use it. Map and compass. Use a GPS if you must be its not a substitute for good map skills.

Make sure you leave a route card with some one responsible and let them know when your off the hill.

A bothy bag is a good peice of emergency kit.

Ben Nevis is a decent sized mountain with a lot of ascent. Your starting from near sea level it is comparable to an alpine day.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
take the poles, strap them to the side of the bag. They can be useful on the rougher paths down - especially when knackered and carrying a big sac.

Having siad that I've only every been up the Ben via the North face in winter. Off the top via the tourist path the cut across back to Allt a' Mhuilinn via Lochan Meall an t' Suidhe.

Bet the the spill chucker has fun with that lot

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
Thanks very much, I have army 24 hr ration packs so im aqll set for food. I am also a First Aider so thats cool and 2 of us are taking first aid kits incase we get split up. The route card is a good idea, i always leave the route with the wife, but i could leave it with the b&b as well. Good advice Cheers. :)

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Study the route you want to take carefully and watch out for the gullies.
There will be snow so take sun classes too. Gloves will also be useful. Other kit has been mentioned.

Be prepared for low vizability, high winds and horizontal rain! If you're lucky enough to have a clear day the views are fantastic! (Did Ben Nevis in May and June last year)

Make sure you time your route. Know what time you expect to reach the summit and return. As Wane says leave a route card with someone...and dont forget to call them when you are safely off the mountain.

Have a good trip
Andy

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
This route MUST be regarded as a very serious mountaineering venture. It is a long day and will require good equipment, good navigation skills and cool head. The aerte between Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis is one of the classic routes in Scotland and is very narrow, so be careful of the wind rushing up on either side as it can unbalance the unwairy. At that time of year there will almost certainly be snow and/or ice on many parts of the hill so you will have to take that into account. If you are in any doubt on the day then do something else. :)

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
img0011tb0.jpg

A picture taken from Corrour at the beginning of May looking West towards Ben Nevis and Mamores.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Make sure you have a proper map (as well as a gps type one), The OS map for Ben Nevis is one of the very few that actually has a navigational bearing printed on it. This gives you some idea of the severity of the Ben.
Saying that, it really is a wonderful climb (especially if the cloud gods are on a high).
Have fun and remember, you can always turn back (it's been there for millions of years, so it's not going anywhere in a hurry)
Baggins

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
Take your walking poles as the descent is relentless on the knee's.
Strap them to your sac on the few rocky scrambles.
You should have no problems if your nav is up to scratch.
Silver foil survival blanket.
Enjoy :) :)

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Make sure you are each carrying an ice axe. During the winter months, the lower slopes may look clear put near the summit it can be knee deep in snow. If you have never used an ice axe, then learn before you go and practise braking (arrest) when there is good stable snow on the slopes. You may need crampons, but is unlikely.
When on the summit, if there is snow be careful with conrnices i.e snow overhangs,as there has been many accidents with people standing on these thinking they are on the edge, yes they are on the edge of a very long drop!!
Above all else have fun!!!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Take as little as you can get away with. By this I mean carry everything you must. But sleeping bag and bivvy are just weight.

I did the norh face in winter with just enough safety gear - it is a BIG hill.

I have to say everything above is spot on and I have nothing to add - save to say take stuff away. My old climbing teacher said 'Prepare for every eventuality and one of them will happen.' He meant you will be so slowed you'll get into trouble.

Have a great time - I fell in love with the place and can't wait to get back. I believe a camera is always essential!

Richard

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
fred gordon said:
This route MUST be regarded as a very serious mountaineering venture. It is a long day and will require good equipment, good navigation skills and cool head. The aerte between Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis is one of the classic routes in Scotland and is very narrow, so be careful of the wind rushing up on either side as it can unbalance the unwairy. At that time of year there will almost certainly be snow and/or ice on many parts of the hill so you will have to take that into account. If you are in any doubt on the day then do something else. :)
Great route......Very hard work, but good fun.....Take the gondola up to 600m, drop down to allt daim, then up onto the arrete, carn mor dearg, the real hard slog up the scree onto the top of the ben. Then down to the shelter at carn dearg and down the north side of the ben, into the leanachan forest and back to the car at the gondola car park....This was a walk I did a few years ago, after seeing it featured in Trail magazine. I have never been so glad to see my car in all my life....Great day out though....
If you have more time up there, I would highly recommend doing buachaille etive mor at the entrance to glen coe, or if you like a good scramble, then the forcan ridge up onto the saddle is great fun, but a bit further away, nr kintail.
Take the advice others have said, esp on the ben...An average of 8 people die every year on there, if your on the top and the conditions get bad, you need to know the bearing to take to get down as it is easy to walk off the edge in a white out. Dont forget to leave a route card.....
Wish I could come with you, I love it up there....

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thought you might like to see what you are taking on if you haven't see it before. Please remember that the drops are over 2000 ft. look at the person in yellow to get the scale. - Enjoy!

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Stan
I don't wish to put you off but the CMD in mid April is a potentially serious undertaking with your listed experience.
At that time of year full winter condition are still possible and should be accommadated for, ive been out in blizzards in early May. The arete is graded as a grade one scramble (summer) which means there maybe some areas that need the use of the hands (and there are!) conversly in winter this requires mountaineering skills.
As the other guys have suggested gain some winter hill experience first or consider going a bit later in the year (early June perhaps) Alternatively hire a guide for the day such as Alan Kimber at West Coast Guides.
He has a very good website which tells you off the present hill conditions and guiding options.
If this is not an option take the tourist path. As a Mountain Rescuer with ten years experience I would hate for you to be out off your depth on the 'Ben' or ruin what could be a great trip.
Ed

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Stan
Just to update my post please check out mwis.org.uk this has a link to various guides websites, the Scottish Avalanche Information Service and some hill webcams in addition to the weather.
I would reccommened checking this site before heading out on the hill or the woods as the synoptic charts are a really useful.
Ta Ed

Reactions: JonnyP

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Stan,

If you have the time, you may want to consider something a bit less demanding as a training/shakedown route.

On a big day out taking too much kit could actually be a disadvantage. There is a saying that if you plan to bivyy, you will end up bivvying.

Last time i went up Ben Nevis people thought we were mountain rescue, but we just had the kit appropriate to such a day out. This was May and people in shorts and t-shirts were running out of water but there was still snow on the summit and it is a loooong way back down if the weather should turn.

Hope you have a great trip.

EDIT: Check how much daylight you will have in mid April.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
I echo what the others have said.

Make sure everone has a good head torch and batteries as it is a long day .
Have enough kit to make walking comfortable , To bigger sacs on the ridge do effect your balance if your not used to that sort of walking scambling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE